Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: The Office: 10/04/07

[ QUOTE ]
I still think of the first two seasons as it being an underground show.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats fine to think, its just completely wrong.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Just remember that the Pam/Jim storyline and other character development is for the chicks. My wife is just as interested in PB&J than she is in the hilarious office hijinks, if not more so.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think of the first two seasons as it being an underground show.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reasonable, but even given that, you can no longer say it can be "kept" underground.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM

I probably didn't express myself very clearly. What I meant was that the show was a sleeper for the first two seasons, and that the reason I think it hasn't gone the way of Arrested Development is that they broadened it to appeal to a wider range of humor, mostly through Michael & Dwight shenanigans. So when I see Dwight and Michael going over the top, I'm okay with it to a certain extent because I know it's partly necessary to get more people to watch.

I also know that a lot of the over-the-top stuff ends up on the cutting floor (rightly so), and they've been a bit looser with the editing since they've had more time. I know people love these deleted scenes, but most of them aren't great and deserve to be cut. I think the nature the 1 hour format is allowing more of the over-the-top "deleted scenes" to slip through. I'm pretty sure that an episode like this one, if it were edited down to 30 minutes, would appeal to even the most jaded fans.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM

im surprised ryan isnt getting more love. they have made him out to be such an awesome dbag. he has some awesome more subtle UK-esque humor (and of course some not-so-subtle).

"karen fillipeli emailed me a few months ago..." lol.

creed was great as usual.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im surprised ryan isnt getting more love. they have made him out to be such an awesome dbag. he has some awesome more subtle UK-esque humor (and of course some not-so-subtle).

"karen fillipeli emailed me a few months ago..." lol.

creed was great as usual.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, agreed totally. It was obvious Ryan never really cared to be part of "The Office" and was just using it to advance his career; now that he's the boss, he just doesn't have to pretend to like these people anymore. It's a pretty awesome new side of him.

(The $200 haircut line was super d-bag, but the meteoric rise line was pretty funny.)
Old 10-05-2007, 04:43 PM

I think Ryan vs. Michael could be incredibly awesome.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do 20+ people with a say in production and a gaggle of writers not get how awful the lake/law office scene was?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with hour-long episodes. You get terrible filler like the lake scene. In any 30 minute episode, the lake scene would have ended up as a "Deleted scene" that you could watch later on NBC's website.

Other than the lake/lawyer's office scenes, the episode was awesome.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have friends who think that the over-the-top Michael Scott is the most hilarious part of this show. I'd rather have the writers and producers pander a bit to my friends so that they can reach a Season 4, especially when the alternative is to keep the show an underground hit and have it go the way of Arrested Development.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think the office is an "Underground hit"? Seriously?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just remember that the Pam/Jim storyline and other character development is for the chicks. My wife is just as interested in PB&J than she is in the hilarious office hijinks, if not more so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my spinster aunt stopped watching the show last season when the Jim/Pam storyline took a back seat. Once my aunt heard that Jim and Pam will be dating this season, she's back watching every week.

The writers know what they're doing. I'm sure they're well aware of what the female audience is looking for out of the show -- and it's PB&J.