Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: help me pick a place, ill go (and trip report it)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Krantz,

Give a little more info. Do you mainly want to just chill out? What is your idea of relaxing and fun?

My initial idea would be Hawaii. Have you been?

Anyway, the US is a big place, give a little more info on what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have not been to Hawaii. That sounds kind of crazy and exciting, though. But maybe too much planning to do between now and next week.

Originally my idea was "bed and breakfast," do some reading in a quiet little town, write a piece of a script in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant with an amazing view of something. Then I figured I shouldn't limit myself. Maybe take a hike, maybe climb a mountain (which I've also never done).

I don't feel like partying at all, so I'm not concerned with nightlife - literally just a spot to rest, reflect, spend some time with myself.

I haven't traveled much at all for traveling's sake, so I don't really know what exactly I'm looking for. Which is why I'm curious about where you guys would go :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent read any replies past this post, but given this post, you should 100% go to Utah
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hit up the Boundary Waters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this. Perfect time to go, too. Cold enough at night to eliminate mosquitoes, not so cold as to eliminate you.

Zion National park another good choice (only seen pictures from friends and family, but every time they amaze).
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Krantz,
Not sure why you don't want to leave the US. If you want someplace absolutely awesome yet relatively close, try Ilulissat, Greenland. Given that you have a lot of money (you'll need it) there is really no more amazing place you can go within a reasonable radius of nyc.

Newfoundland is also fantastic imo.

Trapp family lodge is a solid choice closer. I've been there (mostly in winter though) and it is great.

The southwest canyon country (bryce canyon, etc) is great.

Alaska is fantastic, but you really need more than a week and it's quite far.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM

If you want to go to Maine, screw Bar Harbor, which is the richy-rich capital of Maine. Go to some small town like Castine and just chill out.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. I've decided on a few things:

-I'm going to wait two weeks until the 15th-ish to go. I have an improv comedy class that's wrapping up and we need to practice for our graduation show. Also, I definitely want the fall foliage to kick in.

-I don't think I really want to spend a day or so each way traveling. So Napa is out, Hawaii is out (and I want to spend more than one week in Hawaii for sure).

-Did Cape Cod back in college with an ex-gf. Definitely had the right vibe, but I want to do something that I haven't done before.

-Bar Harbor or the Trapp Lodge are the frontrunners. But despite the travel time, though, Alaska just sounds awesome...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its Oct...I'd hold off on Alaska...go Montana if you want the outdoors exp.

I'd say go fishing in Montana..or maybe sign up for one of those 1 week tour thingies where u raft down a river etc
Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 AM

not a far trip from NYC, but feels like lightyears: the Berkshires in western Mass. Lovely towns, great artistic vibe, should be wonderful fall foliage about this time. I'd never thought much of Mass prior to my trip to the Berkshires.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM

iam with gobbomom, estes park beautiful place to go, rent a cabin along the river, if you ever doubted there was a god go there
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM

every few years i go visit my family in Maine... and our family shares this house on a lake. I cant imagine going anywhere in the world more relaxing. You could rent a very similar place for like nothing. Maine gets my vote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 AM

If you ever get time to leave the USA ( i know ur asking about the US) and you want a life-changing experience, go to eastern Rwanda and see the gorrila forests...Also tour the country and see lots of neat stuff...

If food is your thing, head up to the coast of eastern africa and don't miss ethiopia.

Keep it real,

Indy (PS for a USA trip to get away, I'd go to the mountains of western north carolina and plz do not miss Linville Falls)
Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Dont see this suggested yet but southern new mexico is fantastic and cool. Albequerque, Truth or Consequences, Roswell, in that order. Weird, pretty desert, nice weather, quirky people, good food.

Man, makes me want to go!