Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Incident in Jena,La.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to say, it seems to me that when one guy (who hadn't been proven to be involved in ANYTHING, be it putting up nooses or the party incident or anything else) gets jumped by 6 guys, knocked unconscious, and receives injuries that require a hospital visit, whether you want to mitigate it because he still wanted to go to his school's one-night-only "ring ceremony" or not, there needs to be repercussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree here. Simple assault is a slam dunk, and there is a plausible, albeit shaky cause to pursue felony aggravated assault.

I don't see the merit in the attempted murder charge, nor trying the juveniles as adults.

[ QUOTE ]

This is simply Al Sharpton's next big TV grandstand. That is all I can actually say based on the evidence at hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument here. Sharpton is an opportunistic attention whore.

[ QUOTE ]

Think about it, if 6 white guys beat up a black guy, you don't think there would be a HUGE outcry around the country?

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened in the events leading up to this, and the only outcry was why the white kids were not charged at all......until finally the DA gave in and charge one of them with simple assault.

[ QUOTE ]
The gun incident seems to have not led to any charges against the white guy because they don't have any concrete evidence of who started anything or why he got his gun out in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....I agree about there not being enough evidence to figure out what happened....but the DA figured they had enough evidence to charge the black youth with 3 felony counts, including robbery, for disarming the white guy of his firearm during the confrontation.

[ QUOTE ]

I hate racism and I hate that its going on, but it seems to me like this is a case of "well, there's all this racism is going on down here, so let these kids walk when they ganged up to beat the [censored] out of a random white kid". That doesn't fly with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either, but overzealousy charging them in comparision to the actual crime, trying juveniles as adults, and attempting to putting the black youths in prison for 15 years....while on the other hand charging white youths in similar incidents with simple assault and giving a few months probation is not equitable and only grows the problem.

Give them all misdemeanor assualt in juvenile court, white and black attackers alike, and the news cameras goes away, and fair and equitable justice is meted for all.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:48 PM

RedBean, in the previous incident at the party there were 5 black males and an unknown (to me) number of white males. Thats hardly 6 vs. 1. And if you read recounting of the shotgun incident it seems that a white male encountered Bell and "several friends", and an "incident ensued". It seems reasonable that an argument took place and the white student felt threatened given the whole "several friends" aspect of it and he went to retrieve his firearm. IMO you're way off on this one RedBean, along with that Cut guy
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't they protesting for charging the white kids for smashing the beer bottles instead of marching to free the "Jena 6" thugs. They just look stupid out there, if they protested charging the white beer bottle smasher, they would look better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, but "Free the ________" is such a catchier protest phrase.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM

I've only read 6 of the 9 pages here, so if someone's already said it, I apologize, but in a 6 on 1 fight, there is no attempted murder. There is getting the snot beat out of you, or there is murder. 6 guys beating on one unconcious guy aren't going to have a problem killing him if that's what they're trying to do.

I think for the most part, giving almost everyone the same, or relatively equal sentences seems to make sense, aside from (was it) Bailey, who had previous violent offenses.

Muresan, I think the 6 v 1 incident and the shotgun incident are separate incidents. There's like 4 or 5 things that happened over the course of a few days in Jena that's at the heart of this matter. I think the other thread for this topic has it all listed out on the first page or so. Page 5 or 6 of this thread has it also, I believe.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't they protesting for charging the white kids for smashing the beer bottles instead of marching to free the "Jena 6" thugs. They just look stupid out there, if they protested charging the white beer bottle smasher, they would look better.

Where are we at, can me and my white friends go beat up anyone and expect to go free if the Jena 6 go free... so so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think they were marching to free them, rather to get them charged in a fair way, given that they were originally charged with attempted murder. Maybe I'm wrong here.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM

I kind of grunched the previous 30 (long ass) posts, but I thought one of the biggest points the protesters had was the fact that the three who put the nooses up didn't get charged with anything. At least, in all the discussions I've seen that is hearkened back to time and time again. This link explains a good deal, including the fact that the FBI was called into Jena to investigate the "hate crime" aspect of the nooses. It was decided that all the aspects of a hate crime were there, but the offenders were all minors, and there was no backdrop criminal organization like the KKK to justify making it a federal matter. As such they left it to the school to decide.

As has been said before, the shotgun incident is extremely cloudy, and I could see how a single individual could feel threatened by a number of assailants, but I dont understand the theft of the firearm charge much either. This is pretty obviously the most likely thing to have been completely botched, but there's something that I'm curious about. Why is there never any mention made of Bell's 4 prior violent crimes of which he was convicted? at the time of the 6 vs. 1 he was still on probation? This kid seems to be a piece of trash, and pieces of trash tend to get the book thrown at them in court (see:OJ in his upcoming trial).
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only read 6 of the 9 pages here, so if someone's already said it, I apologize, but in a 6 on 1 fight, there is no attempted murder. There is getting the snot beat out of you, or there is murder. 6 guys beating on one unconcious guy aren't going to have a problem killing him if that's what they're trying to do.

I think for the most part, giving almost everyone the same, or relatively equal sentences seems to make sense, aside from (was it) Bailey, who had previous violent offenses.

Muresan, I think the 6 v 1 incident and the shotgun incident are separate incidents. There's like 4 or 5 things that happened over the course of a few days in Jena that's at the heart of this matter. I think the other thread for this topic has it all listed out on the first page or so. Page 5 or 6 of this thread has it also, I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very well aware of the fact that the 6 on 1 and shotgun incidents are two completely different incidents. I never said they were the same. I started this thread and wouldnt have done so without understanding the many different incidents that occurred over the past 3+ months
Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Right, my bad, I misread your whole statement regarding that.. Darn dyslexia acting up again.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's something that I'm curious about. Why is there never any mention made of Bell's 4 prior violent crimes of which he was convicted? at the time of the 6 vs. 1 he was still on probation? This kid seems to be a piece of trash, and pieces of trash tend to get the book thrown at them in court (see:OJ in his upcoming trial).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I said earlier, [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have been referring to Bell.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:20 PM

like I said,I skimmed through so I suppose I missed it.