Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Some comments about the WCOOP structures

I am now in favor of the structures staying the same. My personal scheduling conflicts is more the reason of this than my personal opinion on how long this takes. I'll be flying mid afternoon the next day to be in Aruba in time for their main event. If this was a 2 day event and I were to make day 2 I'd be so screwed after I've won my Aruba seat.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure this kind of structure is good for better players, try to find on event #5 someone on FT with significant result .... none

[/ QUOTE ]
Irrelevant. Most pros doesnt play donkaments, but in big juicy tournaments like WCOOP with great stucture there's a lot of equity. At least the 2 final playes were full time pros. I've got records on 25/50 of AB_Illusive.

20 hours isnt that much. In live tournaments they play 15-16 hours and a final table can take 20h+

Starting on a Saturday would leave out a lot of players. The bad players and majority will rather play on Sunday and not thinking about work monday having no idea it will last 20 hours.

There's basically one tournament a year on PS that will play that long. The main event will have a much smaller field.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no comparison to live events. 20 hours of live event play doesn't have as many hands as the online one. Also, the breaks are much longer and you can always take a 15 minute break live with out missing much.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
structure is awesome but theres really no good reason not to make at least the bigger events 2 days

i just woke up and yesterdays tourney is still running, almost 20 hours later.. insane

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello, 2p2...

There's been quite a bit of discussion about WCOOP lately, in particular the length of the events and the desire on the part of some to have two-day WCOOP events. Some have wondered if it's even possible for us to have two-day events, and of course there has been quite a bit of discussion regarding whether or not doing so would be good for the events, etc.

As for the technical ability, we do have the ability to pause events and then continue them at a later time/day/etc. We have had this ability since PokerStars opened, in fact. However, there is more at issue than simply the technical ability to stop an event and then resume it later.

When we were planning WCOOP, the topic of two-day events came up and was discussed at length. In the end, it was decided that we would not have two-day events, with the deciding consideration being the preservation of the integrity of each event.

To this point, we have not yet received any negative feedback regarding event length from those who have been most-impacted by the length -- those who have been playing at the five final tables held to this point. For that matter, there hasn't been any negative feedback from those at the final three tables of any event of which I'm aware.

Having said all of the above, we will of course continue to review feedback as we do at all times. Our goal in everything we do is to give our players the best experience possible. We accomplish that goal by making sure we're listening to what our players are telling us, as this forum is well-aware. The second-highest attended WCOOP event ever (this year's Event #1) came about in large measure because of feedback from this forum. In short, we are definitely listening, and we will continue to do so as we review all possibilities.

All the best,

Bryan S.
Tournaments Administrator
PokerSTars Poker Room Management Team

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i guess the sums they won they dont really think to much about it becuase theyre too happy...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 AM

raymer won, wsop main event doesnt count for winnign something significant?

anyway 90% of fields are donks so ofc a lotta donks will show up on final tables.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer: The break will start when the current hand finishes
madiso: 30min,realy!
lefty2506: thank god, a chance to go back room, been in the library all day
Lee Jones [Support]: Yep, 30 real minutes
madiso: its 9am here
Lee Jones [Support]: 7:00A here
madiso: if i sleep now,wath happens
Lee Jones [Support]: you get blinded out?

[/ QUOTE ]

final table of plo 6 max... Lee Jonez pwnz!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Numbers are up for the WCOOP from last year.

The players who are actually making the final tables aren't complaining (and this is who it's affecting most).

[/ QUOTE ]
I finished 29th in Event #5 this year. I live in the Netherlands and it starts here at 22:30 and I busted out at around 13:00. I was COMPLETELY exhausted. I basically skipped a day, because all I did the next day was eat a bit and sleep. If I had made the final table you would have heard no complaints from me. In fact, if I had made 6 figures, you would have heard no complaining from me for a long time about anything! But instead I played 14+ hours and made 2% of the first prize money. Don't ask people who final table if they dislike the structure. Ask people who finish 10th-30th.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The players who are actually making the final tables aren't complaining (and this is who it's affecting most).

[/ QUOTE ]
I finished 29th in Event #5 this year. I live in the Netherlands and it starts here at 22:30 and I busted out at around 13:00. I was COMPLETELY exhausted. I basically skipped a day, because all I did the next day was eat a bit and sleep. If I had made the final table you would have heard no complaints from me. In fact, if I had made 6 figures, you would have heard no complaining from me for a long time about anything! But instead I played 14+ hours and made 2% of the first prize money. Don't ask people who final table if they dislike the structure. Ask people who finish 10th-30th.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, pretty much what i said above.

ofc noone that won 10K+ will complain.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no poker player sleeps 6-8 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's on a weekend, I'll easily grab 10-12 to make up for the rest of the week.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM

I cashed last year in the dubCOOP HORSE in the top 3% - it took somewhere around 9 or so hours to post a profit of $800 or so.

I've looked over the structures for this year compared to last year, and it seems they've actually been slowed down slightly. I don't particularly mind this, as I find that slower structures work better for me and the way I play (and the mistakes I make). Maybe it's just that I'm such a small balla, but I made like $90/hr last year and I was ecstatic and hope to do as well this year. (I also hope for a bigger field full of people who have no clue - that's when I do my best.) I guess it helps that HORSE is on a Saturday, but I'd probably be willing to take a (half?) day off from work to play it if it weren't.

I guess it's just a matter of realistic expectations. If you think you're likely to go that deep, you need to plan accordingly. I'm going to sleep pretty late the day of the tournament so I don't have to worry if I should get that deep. And if it were on a Sunday, I would've told the boss that I might not be in on time on Monday. But then you don't quite have the same concerns with a limit tourney that you do with an NLHE tourney, chiefly way too many players actually playing tight for once. Did you watch those last 5-6 tables? Everybody puckers up and barely plays when the stacks are so deep compared to the blinds. This was happening even in the PLO events.

Anybody comparing the FTOPS events with the dubCOOP needs their head examined. I've played in at least one of those and it wasn't very memorable, much like the MTT experience on Full Tilt in general - at least for limit tourneys, their structure is slightly steeper and the levels are shorter. It's like playing a turbo. Silly Full Tilt, always wanting to copy PokerStars, but falling short of the mark. You'd think with the template right out there making itself known to be copied from, they would be able to do it... but they just can't.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but 14 hours for a major poker tournament is not that big a deal. Your hourly rate for those 14 hours would have compared very favourably to the average industrial wage on the basis of a 29th place finish.