Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: film: 3:10 to Yuma

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he let himself get caught in the beginning. Also, looking for a challenge? WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

looking for a challenge. what is so hard to understand about that? when they rob the first stagecoach and his crew is getting ready, what is he doing? he is drawing a bird. he isn't worried about the robbery because it will be routine and not very difficult. he is bored with robbing trains. he wants a challenge. bales character is supposed to offer him that challenge. i don't really like the way they go with the ending, but this is clearly the jist of the movie.

wade's character obviously doesn't care about the money, he wants to be the best at something. he is already the best at robbing stagecoaches and trains, so he needs something new. he is bored and his life has no direction or aim. the directors and writers decide that helping bale on his mission to save his family and redeem himself in the eyes of his son is the challenge wade was looking for. i think that is a silly and boring idea, but it was the theme of the movie.

it is made clear throughout the movie, that wade is not going to harm bale's character or his son. in fact, the son calls him out on it (and it is clear that bale's son is not only a good rider and shot, but a great judge of character who has wade pegged). the only explanation for wades actions throughout the movie is that his character is changing and he wants to help a man instead of robbing train companies.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM

CDS, I really don't have time to explain everything, at least my interpretation, but I think Wade was basically unhappy with his life, and that was what caused him to act the way he did. I also think he found things in Dan that he liked and admired, possibly even jealous of.

I'll try to explain this later if I get a chance.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS, I really don't have time to explain everything, at least my interpretation, but I think Wade was basically unhappy with his life, and that was what caused him to act the way he did. I also think he found things in Dan that he liked and admired, possibly even jealous of.

[/ QUOTE ]

being unhappy with his life is the same thing as being bored/depressed.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]depressed sure, bored no. Not IMO.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like we're just arguing semantics at this point, and don't really differ in opinion by very much.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 PM

Well maybe we are. I don't think being bored is the same thing as being depressed.

Also later I will explain why I think he acted the way he did throughout the movie.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its pretty close to being the same Salt.
if he's unhappy in part because he likes a challenge..then boredom plays a part in that. I don't think he's simply unhappy because he's a criminal and "went down the wrong path in life"
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well maybe we are. I don't think being bored is the same thing as being depressed.

Also later I will explain why I think he acted the way he did throughout the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

we are really arguing about our thoughts on the quality of the movie. you obviously think it is a much better movie than me or CDS did so this is going to come out in the argument for various reasons. of course, you are welcome to your opinions. for me personally, i didn't feel that crowe's character was very impressive or even that interesting. this caused me to not enjoy the movie. if you enjoyed his character, then you would have a much different opinion on the movie.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 PM

why does it have to be one or the other?

he was bored and unhappy AND he saw dan as a complex individual and admired him. wade was interested in dan bc wade was sick of running with one dimensional gunslingers with no real intellectual capacity.

for the first time, wade could associate with someone that was close to his intellectual equal.

for this, and bc of dans dogged determination to help his family, wade respected dan.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM

finally caught this the other night. i liked the performances and really enjoyed the first 90% of the movie. was pretty disappointed in the way things played out at the end, pointless to discuss tho