Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Beat: Daughter moving out tomorrow

[ QUOTE ]

1) How old will they be when they can make all of their own decisions? Have you decided on a magic number? 18, 21, 25, 30? The reason I ask is because the transition to adulthood and it's associated decision making needs to be started yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no real age. We taught them what we thought was good. They went to religious schools. The boys went on to religious Seminaries by choice. The older one then went into the Army and is now starting University.
One of the kids was a rebel at one time.
At no point did we force a kid to do anything. We would not punish a kid for not keeping something religious. However, we would object to them not keeping kosher in my own house.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Why don't you trust your college aged children to be alone in a room by themselves with a person of the opposite sex?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not a matter of trust. It is just one of those religious laws that are there to stop temptation. In effect, you are not allowed to be alone with anyone you might be tempted to have sex with (except your spouse of course!).
They are allowed to be alone in a room with the door closed if they know that someone can and may walk in at any moment without warning.

[ QUOTE ]

3) What would happen if she was interested in dating a Christian? Would you let her date? At what age could she "overrule" your preference?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a real hard one. There would really be nothing I could do about it. However, I would not go to the wedding.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
55 year old OP

[/ QUOTE ]
48 actually.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Would you like to be my father.
My first dad died in the war.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

3) What would happen if she was interested in dating a Christian? Would you let her date? At what age could she "overrule" your preference?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a real hard one. There would really be nothing I could do about it. However, I would not go to the wedding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so awful. It's statements like this that have turned me away from organised religion and a big part of my family.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you like to be my father.
My first dad died in the war.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we are probably a bit to far away - even if I was sure that this was a serious post.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 PM

nooooooooo its happening again
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so awful. It's statements like this that have turned me away from organised religion and a big part of my family.

[/ QUOTE ]
I come from a very wide range family.
I am one of 5 kids who range from the very religious (me) to the totally non-religious (one of my sisters).
The same sister is a divorcee who married a "Kohen". This is not allowed by Jewish law. So she was forced to get married in a Reform synagogue. I did not attend the wedding and she 100% understood me.
This in no way affects the fact that we visit each other's houses and stay with each other. She knows I have a problem eating there and respects that too.

How you deal with problems like that depends on both sides.

You see a lot of cases here in Israel where one member of a family becomes religious or secular. The families still function. They just agree to disagree.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I would not go to the wedding.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre an ass, sorry

Edit: Just read your post above

I still think you are being an ass, sorry
Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
55 year old OP

[/ QUOTE ]
48 actually.

[/ QUOTE ]
your daughter is fingering herself right now and fantasizing about teh buttsecks. your sons are banging some hot chicks. welcome to reality.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You see a lot of cases here in Israel where one member of a family becomes religious or secular. The families still function. They just agree to disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is retarded. Therefore I chose to spend my time with people that aren't blocking half of their brain functions instead. You don't pick your family but you sure as hell pick your friends. No wonder none of mine are into organised religion huh?