Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: How does Phil Hellmuth win tournaments?

[ QUOTE ]
Winning WSOP events does not make you a great player. It means you are capable of beating primarily weak fields consisting of alot of average to horrible players. Wow, what an accomplishment. Poker is not like other games/sports. He's not out there playing against the best or even great competitiion. He's just playing against anyone who has the money.

Just because they gave it the [censored] retarded name "World Series Of Poker" doesn't mean it's some huge accomplishment to beat a bunch of monkeys 11 times in 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that Phil is overrated, and also think that I am a better tournament player than him, your post is just retarded.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Winning WSOP events does not make you a great player. It means you are capable of beating primarily weak fields consisting of alot of average to horrible players. Wow, what an accomplishment. Poker is not like other games/sports. He's not out there playing against the best or even great competitiion. He's just playing against anyone who has the money.

Just because they gave it the [censored] retarded name "World Series Of Poker" doesn't mean it's some huge accomplishment to beat a bunch of monkeys 11 times in 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that Phil is overrated, and also think that I am a better tournament player than him, your post is just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

not challenging you are anything, but would you honestly crossbook 100% with him in all tournaments that you both play?? i highly doubt it
Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I NEVER said He didn't have talent. I do think there are many talented players out there and He should give them a little credit as well. I mean He is just an over the top ego-maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, capitalizing pronouns is reserved for God. Unless you're Phil Hellmuth, you shouldn't consider Phil Hellmuth to be a god.

More on topic: Yes, he should give credit to other players. Regardless, he does pretty well making a name for himself.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Ok.

He does play in fields that consist of a small % of very very good players. However, he also plays in fields that have alot of mediocre to awful players who have no real concept of how to play the game, they just have the money to buy in. So the "World Series" of Poker has a high amount of horrible players in it.

I don't find it particularly impressive when someone is capable of beating mediocre competition.

There is a reason that he will always be capable of crushing the WSOP, but will also always be the live one in a HSNL game with the best in the world.

It's not because he's great at poker either.

If you put me in a foursome of golfers with a 20 handicap I could consistently crush them week in and week out. I would probably think I was very good at golf. If all of the sudden you made me start playing with a foursome of scratch golfers I would quickly realize I'm in fact not good at golf at all, that I was actually only good relative to my competition and that if I want to really be great I will have to adapt.

What's great about Hellmuth is he's too stupid to realize that he has these leaks, that he actually needs to improve his game. And of course you're better than him at poker, you actually understand that you need to constantly work on your game. Whereas he will never be capable of being one of the best players because actually believes he's the best in the world already.

With a stack of 5 BBs he raised to 3 BBS, and folded for his last 2 BBs when someone shoved. Obviously it was a horribly pathetic play, but he picked up AA the next hand and claimed " That's why you fold K6 honey, that's why you fold!. I bet you no internet guy would make that fold!"

No, no rational person who actually understand the game would make that fold.

Just because he is capable of beating mediocre players in a series of events dubbed the " World Series of Poker" does not mean he's a great tournament player. It means he's capable of beating weak players, and is good relative to his competition.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He does play in fields that consist of a small % of very very good players. However, he also plays in fields that have alot of mediocre to awful players who have no real concept of how to play the game, they just have the money to buy in. So the "World Series" of Poker has a high amount of horrible players in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... Hellmuth won nine of his bracelets before the WSOP fields exploded and filled up with "a high amount of horrible players."
Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... Hellmuth won nine of his bracelets before the WSOP fields exploded and filled up with "a high amount of horrible players."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Thank you. I feel so enlightened. I'll return the favor.

You are correct that he won 9 of his bracelets before the WSOP exploded. He also did it against extremely small fields when the game was much less sophisticated than it is today. You ever watched any of the old WSOP final tables? I know it may seem shocking, but the play was in fact still horrendous even with the small fields. Alot of the so called "pros" of the late 80s and early 90s would get crushed if they played the same way today. It's not hard to see how much the game has evolved.

Also, the size of the fields when Hellmuth won those 9 illustrious bracelets.

Has to be tough to wade through those huge fields.

What I like though is all I'm really trying to say is that Hellmuth is certainly capable of beating weak players, but would be the live one in a lineup of strong players. He's good or bad relative to his competition in my opinion.

Some guy named Barry Greenstein's analysis of Hellmuth and Ivey

Hellmuth
against weak players: 8
against strong players:5
tournaments: 7
side games: 3

Ivey
against weak players: 8
against strong players:8
tournaments: 9
side games: 8

Yea, I'm way off base here.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
qft
Old 09-05-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
qft

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 AM

His poker game gets exposed badly against the decent cash game pros on HSP.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Phil Hellmuth hat around here is rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who has a Phil Hellmuth hat?