Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Incredibly stupid question regarding clothing/weddings.

Phrased wrong.

Obviously it's less nice looking, but is it ever such that it's not acceptable relative to a suit?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM

I personally think I look better in nice khaki slacks + black jacket, but I wear a suit just the same to most business meetings and to weddings.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Dibs, You had schmutz all over your sportcoat. I'll reserve judgment for when you're clean.

All, The suit is a uniform. As such, for times that demand a uniform (funeral, wedding, job interview, job) it is the choice to make. If you're going to an event that typically requires a uniform but doesn't this time (stabn), you'll know in advance.

K, wrt to picture, that shirt has to go. Even if you go totally boring with a white shirt and blazer, you'll look better.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phrased wrong.

Obviously it's less nice looking, but is it ever such that it's not acceptable relative to a suit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids why would you ever want to look less than your best? I suggest you buy yourself a really sweet suit (doesn't have to be that expensive)and get it tailored and you'll never want to go back. And the extra little confidence boost of knowing you look great can often help in the situations you'll be wearing one - job interviews, trying to nail hot bridesmaids, etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
K, Weddings bring out the latent "I'm going to die alone" fear in many single chicks. While taking advantage of this, do you want to be the guy who looks sharp or the guy who looks like an intern?

[/ QUOTE ]

these chicks love to bone young guys, so the intern looks, is the obvious way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's boning cougars attire won't matter. They can smell youth.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Neither of the above responses really answer the question. This isn't about what looks nicer, I don't think anybody disagrees. It's that in nice matching slacks/coat/tie/shirt people (myself included) will still look damn good. I'm trying to picture a situation where once is simply not acceptable and the other is required.

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd obviously have 23000 ballin' ass suits with matching pocket thingys and cufflinks. It is, and the flexibility offer by keeping the spending focused on other stuff seems attractive.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 PM

One nice suit won't break the bank Dids, think of it as an investment in yourself.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wedding will be casual judging by who's getting married, and I think wearing a suit will be the exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then just wear a sportscoat and tie. If you're overdressed, you and always take off the coat and/or tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. It really depends on the people. I went to one recently where ~20% of the people were in suits and i was somewhere in the middle dress wise with a silk shirt and nice slacks. You really are not required to wear a suit or even a sportscoat at a wedding.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are forgetting the key advantage of wearing a suit: you can always ditch the jacket in the car if it looks too dressy for the occasion. It's much more difficult to get dressed UP on tehe fly.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
daver, got,

You're saying something like this is unacceptable for someone over 18? Not me btw, but first thing I could find on the internet that sorta looks like what I'm planning on wearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you decide to wear trousers as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neither of the above responses really answer the question. This isn't about what looks nicer, I don't think anybody disagrees. It's that in nice matching slacks/coat/tie/shirt people (myself included) will still look damn good. I'm trying to picture a situation where once is simply not acceptable and the other is required.

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd obviously have 23000 ballin' ass suits with matching pocket thingys and cufflinks. It is, and the flexibility offer by keeping the spending focused on other stuff seems attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dibs, Think of the world as along a continuum of formality and Seattle (and all of the west coast) as being the far end of the informality scale.

In London, if you showed up to a wedding with a rakish sportcoat and tie, you would look like a pauper.

Nonetheless, you should have one suit. I know one person (until now) without a suit. Really, do you want to be like PBob?