Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Just how young (and why) are the top players online?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
old people stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-20-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The amount of scamming scumbags and broke angleshooting degenerate gamblers is huge. I would much rather thrust a succesfull online player than a live grinder. Not saying that there arent alot of scumbags in online poker also.

[/ QUOTE ]

o rly?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of scumbags in poker. I'm just saying if you took 50 live 10/20 grinders and 50 online 10/20 regulars I think there would be more more good guys in the online group.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
young people have no concept of a hard earned $1. They never worked for money. Old people worked for years and years before they had the opportunity of online gambling. They value money a lot more

[/ QUOTE ]

yes old ppl, keep overvaluing that hard earned $1 so us young folks can run over your weak ass
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

young people have dreams, older people have generally settled down and accepted that their dreams havent come true, and instead have got a standard gf or a set career path, which takes over their time, and becuase it gives them a function in life.

young people haven't made an investment in time into either a gf/wife/family or a career and so can spend their time as they want, in this case online poker.

so much of what we do is becuase we have spent a lot of time doing it, that we feel we must stick with it. just look at all the jobs people do they hate, all the relationship which have fizzled out, people stick to things becuase there is never any day they wake up and take the plunge to change their course. young people haven't embarked on a set course, and so choose, often wisely, to go down the online poker course.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Old people can't stay up to play during peak hours LDO.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM

I can think of 3 big reasons why this is the case. The first and most obvious is time. It takes a lot of time playing and studying to truly become great at poker. Once you get married, have kids and a full time job, it's hard to put in more than 10 to 20 hours a week toward improving you’re game.

The second and I think biggest factor is money management. Once you have a mortgage, car payments, college education savings etc. it is hard to take shots at moving up in stakes. I've been playing online for about 1.5 years and it's taken me that long to move up from the micro's to playing primarily $100+ mtt's. If I was still 21 and didn't have responsibilities I'm sure that progression would have been a lot faster.

Another reason I can think of is networking. Most of the good MTT players I know are all in a fairly tight clique. I think hanging around other poker players has to improve your skills. Being older with a wife and family makes it tough to just fly to Vegas for a month for the WSOP and hang out with your poker buddies.

And yes I am old (39). However despite my near senility I have somehow managed to earn about 85k playing poker this year. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And yes I am old (39). However despite my near senility I have somehow managed to earn about 85k playing poker this year. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the bright side, all the youngsters are going to be dead or stupid in 10 years!
Old 07-20-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who are 25+ with access to the money required to play high stakes poker online usually also have access to much better opportunities for that money. it's only the young who can't think of anything better to do with one mil plus than play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

it works both ways. while this is certainly true, it's also true that the younger players have a greater edge in these games and they're better served keeping the money in poker vs. putting it somewhere else.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread makes me laugh, because I think of that hand on youtube between Antonius and Doyle Brunson, and Brunson wups his ass, and Antonius starts whining, "You shouldn't have called, you shouldn't have called! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] " even though Brunson had the best hand from the get go and throughout the hand. Brunson was obviously waiting to strike, found the right moment and ended up taking the (huge) lead in the tournament. As others have said, young people are impulsive and reckless, so rather than being reckless yourself, you have to wait in order to strike at the right time. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (we need an evil grin on this board.)

[/ QUOTE ]

ure dumb. if PA said it was bad, it was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh have u seen the hand it was a stupidly retarded call vs antonius's range in that spot
Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh have u seen the hand it was a stupidly retarded call vs antonius's range in that spot

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think for one minute that, in considering whether to call PA's bet, that if Doyle thought PA had a pocket pair higher than 3's, that he would have called PA's bet? I seriously doubt it. Somehow he knew that it was likely that PA had an Ace-rag.

So, this example illustrates how old people are better than young people at poker. Thank you.