Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Players...tell us your story!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I like the story MyTurn2Raise. It sounds like you hit the craze before the craze hit you.

What made you think that only 3 months ago you were any good? It seems like you concept of the game was solid enough to make a living from. Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just remembered where I learned of 2p2. It was summer of '04 and I was playing a 4/8 game at the Palms, whilst waiting for a seat in the 9/18 game. Unfortunately, they haven't ran the 9/18 game in a few years. It was a beautiful $3 chip game that was a gold mine. Anyway, there is an older gentleman who was the most regular of regulars. He would buy candy for the girls serving drinks and for dealers, etc. Not [censored]...like snickers bars and starbursts. It's my 3rd night or so in a row at the palms (I couldn't drag myself from that 9/18 game). He says I'm a really good player, but not aggressive enough postflop. He tells me, if I want to take my game to the next level, I should look for a book on expert small stakes by Miller. I'm thinking, "right......." In between Vegas and AC, I pick up SSHE. Boom! I lurk 2p2 for a long time. Finally sign up after someone makes a comment about an omaha8 hand I played terribly about a year later once I've converted to playing online from live.

How do I know I've gotten 'good' about 3 months ago?
Tough to explain really. Poker development moves in jumps. It's not a linear progression at all. I've always been a winner. After busto-ing early on, I learned good bankroll management and game selection. I was never a great 'talent' or anything. I'm just a somewhat intelligent guy that could apply general rules to the situations and patterns that were obvious. A few months ago, I just started to see things in a whole different way. All the general stuff had become pretty automated in my mind. I think it allowed me to use my mental resources on a whole new plane. I think it's just a shitton of experience (over 2M hands now...holla!) and working on my game. Until that time, I only had one gear which was pretty much a HUDbot. Now, I can attack many different ways and know when to move from one gear to the other.

I made a post back in december or so on my Jihad on SSNL about how I'd average over $1,000 per day by the end of February. Well, it took me longer than that, but my pursuit of that goal made me work quite hard on my game. I really went through 2p2 and pulled out the gold signals in all the noise posted here. Many of the threads I had seen before, but didn't really know how to apply or couldn't see the subtleties. It took a few years of experience to really pull out the small details and incorporate them into my overall strategies.

honestly, who knows how any of it happens. If I knew, I would've done the steps automagically from the beginning.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:37 AM

since everyone is taking this thread srsly, i might write one when i get back to the UK.

however u can read my blog (LAWL PLUGAMENTS?) which i started and still post on semi-regularly from jan 2006.

disclaimer: my first few posts really suck, but u get to see where i start from. some people seem to like reading it
Old 07-21-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since everyone is taking this thread srsly, i might write one when i get back to the UK.

however u can read my blog (LAWL PLUGAMENTS?) which i started and still post on semi-regularly from jan 2006.

disclaimer: my first few posts really suck, but u get to see where i start from. some people seem to like reading it

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in your story, fo sho. I will check out your blog.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 PM

what is your actual blog? I would like to read on your success.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: part-time pro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm entering my senior year of college as a pre-Med major. I'm in a top 5 engineering program in the US studying Biomedical Engineering with a pretty good GPA (3.5). I just got my MCATs back where I scored 90th percentile (33) but now I'm I feel like I'm at a crossroads with what I'm going to do with my life. On one hand I got school, soccer and med school... on the other hand I got the 160k I've made so far this year. No one, save one person, really understands how tough it is for me to work some crappy 7.5/hr resume building job when I can make 500+/hr playing poker. I really want to be a doctor, but the constant temptation is hard to ignore

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you work up a bank that large? What's your story?

[/ QUOTE ]
ran hot... moved up fast... now play MSNL and HSNL

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys, meeting you in person made me realize you have such a teachers mentality, it seems like you could be such a successful poker coach, or even a professor or something. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: part-time pro

I would like to hear from some of the regular posters here about their "poker" careers.