Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Strange...I never thought of God showing his power via a suckout l

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His boast of giving away 10% is hardly worth noting, imo. I think most people would give away 10% to various worthy causes if they won.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm going to have to disagree with you there, on both counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think giving away 10% of your income is noteworthy, we'll just disagree.

In my second point, I'm talking about any variety of worthy causes; ill or needy family; ill or needy friends; charity; etc.

[/ QUOTE ]giving money to ill/needy friends/family is automatic. yes, every big winner will do that. hardly worth noting.
yang's charities are going to benefit more than just his friends and family. that's sacrifice. i admire that.
pro players and athletes have to remind themselves to be charitable too. they're just like the rest of us.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Look, it's YANG doing the anti-christian bit. He's insulting Christ, by, basically, suggesting that Jesus died on the cross so that 2000 years later Jerry Yang could win poker pots.

No atheiest ever so completely insulted Christianity.

And as to Yang's alleged "charitable nature," if he thought of the 10% promise it as a bribe, or a commission, to God, then in wasn't "charitable," it was self-serving.

As if God needs money. As if God cares more about Yang's charities than Lam's. As if God couldn't just make the problems charities fight go away with a genie blink anyway.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that there are greater forces at work in this universe....I've seen enough strange "coincidences" in my life to know that there are definitely greater forces at work that we don't fully comprehend.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the worst "O RLY?" I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, it was a pic of my cat, give him a break plz [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Is this one better? This is my fave of all-time to be honest:
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whatev - 10% to charity... he can write that off on his taxes, meaning that he's giving up NONE of his profit. If he ends up being a hypocrite about this, I'm pretty sure he'll go to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no. Ever pay taxes before?

It means he won't have to pay taxes on the part that he donates. It doesn't mean that he magically gets that money back from the IRS fairy. There's also a cap (I think) on personal donations in a year. But regardless of that, if he gives $800K, he can write that off, lowering the amount he has to pay taxes on (his adjusted income). It doesn't just take that amount off your tax burdeon.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the older I get, the more I realize religion is a HUGE reason why this world is so freeking messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]
How long did it take you to realise this?

[ QUOTE ]
A huge majority of the conflicts in this world involve muslim extremists living in the 5th century who still believe in someone who was essentially a warlord telling them to kill all the infidels. They are blowing themselves up, killing other innocents, and devoting their entire existence to some crackpot who was no more a God than you, me, or anyone else on this planet. Quite frankly it's sickening and I'm tired of the whole mess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah those pesky muslims. It's all their fault.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whatev - 10% to charity... he can write that off on his taxes, meaning that he's giving up NONE of his profit. If he ends up being a hypocrite about this, I'm pretty sure he'll go to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no. Ever pay taxes before?

It means he won't have to pay taxes on the part that he donates. It doesn't mean that he magically gets that money back from the IRS fairy. There's also a cap (I think) on personal donations in a year. But regardless of that, if he gives $800K, he can write that off, lowering the amount he has to pay taxes on (his adjusted income). It doesn't just take that amount off your tax burdeon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what's the top federal rate these days, 35%? 35% of 800k is 280 thousand. So the donation costs him 800k and saves him 280k in taxes. Its still costing him in the area of $520K to make that donation.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the older I get, the more I realize religion is a HUGE reason why this world is so freeking messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]
How long did it take you to realise this?

[ QUOTE ]
A huge majority of the conflicts in this world involve muslim extremists living in the 5th century who still believe in someone who was essentially a warlord telling them to kill all the infidels. They are blowing themselves up, killing other innocents, and devoting their entire existence to some crackpot who was no more a God than you, me, or anyone else on this planet. Quite frankly it's sickening and I'm tired of the whole mess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah those pesky muslims. It's all their fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely no wories about any muslims living in the 5th century...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 PM

The best part of the final table was the interview at the end when Norman Chad asked Yang, "Is this the most poker God has looked over?"