Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, not really. If you took it perfectly straight on it would probably break your arm, but by that point you're going to be taking a stab at the completely unprotected vital organs of the other person

[/ QUOTE ]

are you not human?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'd just have the sense to bend my elbow so my arm was at an angle to the bat, not perpendicular. A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger. Nobody would argue that you'd rather kick someone than have a knife. Also it's not like you're going to be trading blows in some sort of 1) i hit you 2) you hit me format. All you have to do is close to striking range with the knife, absorb at most 1 bat strike in this time and then aim for the stomach/chest/neck/face.

This really isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been demonstrations done by the cops showing that from a good ways away, a fast guy with a knife can close on a prepared and ready cop and stab him an insane number of times before the cop can draw and successfully fire.

Of course this isn't precisely analogous, but it does get across how incredibly quick a close can be. Bat guys thinking they will always be able to successfully stop a close with a full power swing are wishfully thinking. A motivated guy with any athletic ability can cover ground FAST.

Just as important, too, is that a lot of this is about perception speed and reaction speed and timing. That is, who has the initiative at any point in time. Neither party can count on their reactions being flawless, or their perceptual speed or timing.

But it seems this is being argued as if the bat guy will always be a beat ahead and land a completely crushing blow successfully, and will never get floored without even getting a halfway clean shot off because the knife guy was just a little slicker or more alert than he was that day. And it's easy for someone to be a little slicker than you one day to the next. Happens all the time in every sport in the world. Assuming our physical and perceptual assets were even that good in the first place.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

this cant be true, you think you'd be able to knock a 90mile per hour fastball out of the ballpark with a legkick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but in terms of how it approaches your body as a striking force it comes at you the same way a kick does, just from a different angle, quicker and with somewhat more force depending on the wielder.

edit: my point is that there are methods for deflecting that type of strike. If you told me to stand still and deflect 3 or 4 bat swings I'd be [censored] up, but if I had to deal with at most 1 while I got into range to stab with a knife, that's not really as difficult as you'd think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you seriously udnerestimate the amount of force which full baseball swing generates

[/ QUOTE ]

but how much force is at the tip of the bat vs at the mid point of the bat?

[/ QUOTE ]

enough to render someone useless for a few seconds after a clean blow is landed
Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are just choosing not to listen to what I'm saying. Your odds are SLIM of landing a clean blow in the time it takes (less than 1 second) the other person to close to a range at which your bat is useless. Your bat takes 2 hands to operate and once you begin your swing (if it's going to be an effective swing) it's easy to see where it's going to end up. All it takes is a thrown-up arm to take the bat strike and then stabby stabby, you're dead.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a knife strike is no different than a punch except pointier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever fought in any sort of martial arts way / regularly street fought? It is so much easier to land a punch solidly than a kick, and if your punch also will be fatal/near fatal if it hits the face/neck/chest/stomach I don't see how this counter-argument supports your claim of bat superiority at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he actually tried to level you and leveled himself. Looked like he was laughing at a bat strike being very comparable to a kick in degree. But you never said it was; you said it was comparable in kind.

One extra note though: a good thai kick is way harder than probably a lot of people give it credit for. I think most people would be absolutely astonished at the power if they felt it for themselves.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM

So you're saying that your strategy would just be to close the distance, block the bat swing with an arm, and try to stabby stabby?

Would the force of a bat connecting with your arm not slow you down at ALL?

Plus, why is the bat useless at close range? I can still jam it against your neck, or jab the bat handle into your midsection, etc.

Probably a good chance both people end up dead. Unless you can slice a carotid or femoral artery on your first couple of stabby stabby, I'm not going to bleed to death before I can f you up serious also.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM

Ya guys think maybe it's possible that the bat could be used in a way other than some Babe Ruthian home run swing?... Like maybe choke up and wield it like a club?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

this cant be true, you think you'd be able to knock a 90mile per hour fastball out of the ballpark with a legkick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but in terms of how it approaches your body as a striking force it comes at you the same way a kick does, just from a different angle, quicker and with somewhat more force depending on the wielder.

edit: my point is that there are methods for deflecting that type of strike. If you told me to stand still and deflect 3 or 4 bat swings I'd be [censored] up, but if I had to deal with at most 1 while I got into range to stab with a knife, that's not really as difficult as you'd think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you seriously udnerestimate the amount of force which full baseball swing generates

[/ QUOTE ]

but how much force is at the tip of the bat vs at the mid point of the bat?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck on the clean blow thing.

Nice thing about the knife is just about any way it lands on you is extremely dangerous. It doesn't need to be even close to a clean blow.

You don't even have to kill a guy right there. Slash a couple of seconds worth in one or two good places, or get a few seconds of stabbing in, run away with your crippled arm and come back in a couple minutes to finish off, if there's anything still left to do at all. Then feel free to pass out too.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One extra note though: a good thai kick is way harder than probably a lot of people give it credit for. I think most people would be absolutely astonished at the power if they felt it for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, I'm not diminishing a bat strike by comparing it to a kick at all, it's just similar in the way it's thrown and the ways that you can deal with one. Even a very powerful strike like that can be significantly reduced in the damage it does by simply letting your arm catch it at about a 45 degree angle and pushing it along the plane of your arm (weird to describe, but really easy if you see it). Basically glance the blow off of your arm, you'd be surprised how easily this lets you take a beating from this type of strike. It's not easy to do, but it's not hard either and even just throwing your arm up there to get wrecked is better than taking a stab to the stomach/chest/neck/face.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya guys think maybe it's possible that the bat could be used in a way other than some Babe Ruthian home run swing?... Like maybe choke up and wield it like a club?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be, but I'd bet few people would do this.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, why is the bat useless at close range? I can still jam it against your neck, or jab the bat handle into your midsection, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds fairly useless to me. Especially in comparison to what a knife can be doing at the same time. I'd welcome someone trying to jab a stick in my gut while I was stabbing them, ripping up through their belly, or slashing their throat.

Keep in mind too that the position of your body after swinging a bat, whether you hit or miss, is going to be very poor.