Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Hellgate: London - Calling Diablo Fans

got my beta key and am dling now, sparta. Also why is my elation tempered with a sore ass from RiverStars 2 outers?

4 gig file too, don't fail servers one time
Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 PM

sweet, ty god, server is dying already. 400KB--><100 now -- I hope they have some protocal in place to refuse connections rather then have everyone at 5KB or a crash [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

edit:

tip of the day:

ok, when I created the account in IE, something was borked and I had to use firefox to actually sign in and begin the DL. I have noscript and this was causing havoc and the installer didn't load and I was just dling the game through the browser. Now IE works and I am dling with the downloader, faster and I can resume. Still going to be a few hours though.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

ZOMG LET US KNOW HOW IT IS LOLOLOL

I've decided to not bother getting a hold of EB and get a beta... I'll wait until Halloween. by then my midterms will be mostly over and I'll be able to GAAAMME
Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ZOMG LET US KNOW HOW IT IS LOLOLOL

I've decided to not bother getting a hold of EB and get a beta... I'll wait until Halloween. by then my midterms will be mostly over and I'll be able to GAAAMME

[/ QUOTE ]

heh -- g-bebe, you are an oak (Doc Holliday voice) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Gl with school stuff. Don't expect anything from me today, will try and post something tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM

I broke the beta. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I didn't put numbers in my password the first time and when I went to fix it it said my code and name were taken. When I used the password retrieval thing it said my account was banned. Sad panda.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM

ug, that sucks ed. There are a bunch of posts in the general discussion of Hellgateguru forums with people having issues with accounts getting messed up. I didn't read in depth, but maybe there are some workarounds available? If nothing else, hopefully flagship will be on the case soon, good luck.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM

lol at paying monthly fees for online.

never never never
Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at paying monthly fees for online.

never never never

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you, but that seems to be the general trend going forward. Also you can play a gimped version of HGL with no fees.

Until we have gov regulated online gaming (can Tuff_Fish help?) the free market will continue to roll over the plebs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Yeah but the plebs can fight back by not buying, or at least not buying the online component.

Sadly, I don't recall the fees for online ever going down, just up. Seems once a rate is decided on, probably careers are at stake when it comes to changing prices more so than if a product fails entirely. That, at least, you can blame on something else.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I don't recall the fees for online ever going down, just up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most companies are taking a whatever the market will bear approach and so far that is ~15 a month for MMORPGS, see WoW. I do think that the sub prices will stay at this rate for a bit though I think most ppl would find ~20 a month unpalatable.

As for 'voting with your feet' and the plebs fighting back, thats pretty much what I did with WoW. The grind was wearing down my soul and would have done me in within a few months anyway, but the straw that broke the cammels back was rez lag in the battle grounds. Sick to be playing for 25 minutes, winnning, only to have half your team stuck as ghosts while you watch flags being cappped. This happened numerous times. Plus all the damn login queues, etc.

Bliz was pulling in so much cash it was disgusting to me that they still had server issues. Oh we are growing soooo fast, bs, nothing throwing a few mil at won't fix lol. But again, no need to bust ass as they will only loose a few players over it while the rest will come back for more.

Thats basically the way I see it, the MMORPG successes of the last few years have pretty much guaranteed that we won't go much below 15, 10 at best for fees, and yes, eventually they will go up. The sheep have spoken [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

While I am griping, I have dl'd the beta client but there are server issues now. It always amazes me how unprepared companies are for rollouts -- I worked as a programmer for a company that had a 99.8% server up time guarantee, with penalties ~10k a day if that goal wasn't met. We knew how to bust ass and prepare for new releases. Sigh... again, it is not like people are not going to buy HGL if they can't play the beta on day one, so, the techs are probably smoking a bowl in the server room as we speak.