Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: 100-200 NLH at the rio w/ Affleck & Damon. gogogo?

I also recognize the girl from being a regular @ Foxwoods 10/25 games, but have nothing add regarding skill/robusto.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does DW have that kinda money?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3rd dance remix for No More Games probably covered the buyin for this game. Being one of the biggest pop stars on the planet for 5 years is a positive stimulus to the bank account.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:57 AM

who is in the nine seat?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:36 AM

I happened to be pretty close to the game for a while, so here are some of the things I caught.
Line-up:
Seat 1. Donnie Wahlberg. Seemed like a super nice guy, very humble. He was the shortest stack at the table from what I could see. He did double up through Ben once and also won another 9k pot, which was significant relative to his stack. Daniel Alaei raised before the flop, Bob and Donnie called. I'm not sure that Donnie called from the big blind, but I think so. Flop was KJQ. Donnie was first to act, and checked. Alaei bet 2k, Bob Bright called, Donnie shoved for 3200 more. Alaei tanked and mucked, Bob mucked. Donnie showed K7 off. Alaei said he mucked QJ because he thought Bob had KJ. I think Donnie won for the session, but I don't know how much his initial buy-in was.
Seat 2. Gabe Thaler. Hardly needs an introduction, at least for anybody who is familiar with live NL cash games 25/50 and higher. It is worth mentioning that he is now banned from Bellagio? I didn't see any interesting hands with him, while I was there.
Seat 3. Matt Damon. Had about 15k in front of him, so another poster's claim that he was up 2 buy-ins seems a little unlikely. He was playing pretty tight, until Ben busted, at which point he started trying to shove, likely out of solidarity.
Seat 4. Ben Affleck.
Seat 5. Little Asian dude. According to somebody's post, his name is Danny Woo. Short stacked. He showed complete lack of both intelligence and manners when he slow rolled Ben with second full house. Board was something to the effect of QJ10J8 with four clubs. After betting on various streets, Ben put him all-in and the alleged Danny Woo called. Ben wanted to either muck or have Danny show, and Danny refused to turn over his hand and started taunting Ben (not in a friendly way, more of a really scuzzy 'Let's make fun of the donkey' way) to show his hand. Finally Ben showed a 9 for a straight and even though the whole table is chorusing 'Okay, one card is fine, now your turn', this guy is still refusing to show his hand. Ben mucks and Woo shows J10 for a full house. Of course, it's okay to ask your opponent to show their hand first, but when you have the nuts, it's simply horrible form. Not to mention that doing that to the one guy the game was built around, it's just plain dumb and very poor customer service. Woo was bashed by Gabe Thaler for this, who loudly lectured him in front of the whole table for his lack of class (Gabe's words, and I agree 100%).
Seat 6. Daniel Alaei. Lost a 45k pot to Bob Bright (details unknown, but heard him say that). Won 80k pot from Ben. I was watching when it happened so I can tell you with some accuracy how the hand went down. Ben was either tilting a bit at this point or just wanted to gamble, in any case he was raising every hand. Matt, Alaei and Bob called. Flop was J85 with two diamonds. Matt thought for a bit and checked, Ben threw in a chocolate chip (Rio's version of flags). Alaei raised to 15k. Bob mucked, and Matt started agonizing- theatrically so. He gave a small funny performance of 'I don't have much, I shouldn't do it etc' and then he busted out 'BUT I'm just so RICH that I really feel like I should come over the TOP'. Ben points out that the most Matt can do is call, as he doesn't have enough in front of him to raise. Matt makes a funny face and says 'Oh, it's 15k to CALL?!' and mucks. It was quite entertaining, a mini performance as he was clearly acting, and a nice little bonus for those present. The action was now on Ben, who starts counting his money and stacking up various piles of cash (he had been selling his chips for bills to the other players), and taunts Alaei for a bit ('Aha, you're scared' and the usual stuff), then shoves. Alaei shakes his head, says 'I don't think I'm mucking', and calls relatively quickly. The turn is a 5, and the river 7d. Alaei shows J8 for top two, while Ben stares at the board, says 'That's what you have- 2 pair?' (which is where the speculation that Ben had an overpair and didn't realize that the second 5 gave him a higher two pair, originated, I think), and mucks after a while, without showing his hand.
Seat 7. Blond woman named Lori. Nice and friendly, not overly chatty. I was curios about her. I don't think she's a great player, nor a bad one. Didn't make any mistakes while I was there. She also didn't play a hand. What I found a little odd was that an unkown female player, who has a big enough bankroll, or at least enough cash to sit in a 100/200 nl game (I think she had about 15k in front of her), had holes in both her pants and top. Maybe it was her lucky outfit, but it didn't look like what somebody prosperous would wear, especially female, at least if we use stereotypes as a point of reference.
Seat 8. A guy that came with Ben and Matt. Seemed like a handler, manager etc.
Seat 9. Bob Bright. You may remember him as the guy who bought himself and his entire family in the Plaza 50k event, back when a 50k tourney ellicited gasps, not a shrug and = a buy in in an online game.

The speculation that Affleck mucked the best hand (i.e. an overpair) in the pot that Daniel Alaei won- I would say it's possible, since both him and Matt were, or at least seemed, very convincingly, hammered, as well as because of his comment 'You have two pair?' to Alaei. Also, both the flush and the open ended straight draw hit on the river, so that leaves us with a very limited range of hands that he could have had, other than an overpair. However, it is most likely that he would have showed his overpair as in 'look at my bad beat', had he had one.

This concludes my little report from the Rio. It was a fun game to watch, and I wish I had been able to get a seat in it and participate from a less passive perspective.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would be neat if Johnny Chan played

[/ QUOTE ]

How awesome would it it be if Damon said "yah johnny, I'm pulling a move on you again"

[/ QUOTE ]

no.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Odds on Brandi breaking the 100m sprint record getting to that game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds on greater than 1% of the forum actually knowing what the 100m sprint record is without having to look it up???
Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 2. Gabe Thaler. Hardly needs an introduction, at least for anybody who is familiar with live NL cash games 25/50 and higher. It is worth mentioning that he is now banned from Bellagio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please go into full details, this is very NVG worhty.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I happened to be pretty close to the game for a while, so here are some of the things I caught.
Line-up:
Seat 1. Donnie Wahlberg. Seemed like a super nice guy, very humble. He was the shortest stack at the table from what I could see. He did double up through Ben once and also won another 9k pot, which was significant relative to his stack. Daniel Alaei raised before the flop, Bob and Donnie called. I'm not sure that Donnie called from the big blind, but I think so. Flop was KJQ. Donnie was first to act, and checked. Alaei bet 2k, Bob Bright called, Donnie shoved for 3200 more. Alaei tanked and mucked, Bob mucked. Donnie showed K7 off. Alaei said he mucked QJ because he thought Bob had KJ. I think Donnie won for the session, but I don't know how much his initial buy-in was.
Seat 2. Gabe Thaler. Hardly needs an introduction, at least for anybody who is familiar with live NL cash games 25/50 and higher. It is worth mentioning that he is now banned from Bellagio? I didn't see any interesting hands with him, while I was there.
Seat 3. Matt Damon. Had about 15k in front of him, so another poster's claim that he was up 2 buy-ins seems a little unlikely. He was playing pretty tight, until Ben busted, at which point he started trying to shove, likely out of solidarity.
Seat 4. Ben Affleck.
Seat 5. Little Asian dude. According to somebody's post, his name is Danny Woo. Short stacked. He showed complete lack of both intelligence and manners when he slow rolled Ben with second full house. Board was something to the effect of QJ10J8 with four clubs. After betting on various streets, Ben put him all-in and the alleged Danny Woo called. Ben wanted to either muck or have Danny show, and Danny refused to turn over his hand and started taunting Ben (not in a friendly way, more of a really scuzzy 'Let's make fun of the donkey' way) to show his hand. Finally Ben showed a 9 for a straight and even though the whole table is chorusing 'Okay, one card is fine, now your turn', this guy is still refusing to show his hand. Ben mucks and Woo shows J10 for a full house. Of course, it's okay to ask your opponent to show their hand first, but when you have the nuts, it's simply horrible form. Not to mention that doing that to the one guy the game was built around, it's just plain dumb and very poor customer service. Woo was bashed by Gabe Thaler for this, who loudly lectured him in front of the whole table for his lack of class (Gabe's words, and I agree 100%).
Seat 6. Daniel Alaei. Lost a 45k pot to Bob Bright (details unknown, but heard him say that). Won 80k pot from Ben. I was watching when it happened so I can tell you with some accuracy how the hand went down. Ben was either tilting a bit at this point or just wanted to gamble, in any case he was raising every hand. Matt, Alaei and Bob called. Flop was J85 with two diamonds. Matt thought for a bit and checked, Ben threw in a chocolate chip (Rio's version of flags). Alaei raised to 15k. Bob mucked, and Matt started agonizing- theatrically so. He gave a small funny performance of 'I don't have much, I shouldn't do it etc' and then he busted out 'BUT I'm just so RICH that I really feel like I should come over the TOP'. Ben points out that the most Matt can do is call, as he doesn't have enough in front of him to raise. Matt makes a funny face and says 'Oh, it's 15k to CALL?!' and mucks. It was quite entertaining, a mini performance as he was clearly acting, and a nice little bonus for those present. The action was now on Ben, who starts counting his money and stacking up various piles of cash (he had been selling his chips for bills to the other players), and taunts Alaei for a bit ('Aha, you're scared' and the usual stuff), then shoves. Alaei shakes his head, says 'I don't think I'm mucking', and calls relatively quickly. The turn is a 5, and the river 7d. Alaei shows J8 for top two, while Ben stares at the board, says 'That's what you have- 2 pair?' (which is where the speculation that Ben had an overpair and didn't realize that the second 5 gave him a higher two pair, originated, I think), and mucks after a while, without showing his hand.
Seat 7. Blond woman named Lori. Nice and friendly, not overly chatty. I was curios about her. I don't think she's a great player, nor a bad one. Didn't make any mistakes while I was there. She also didn't play a hand. What I found a little odd was that an unkown female player, who has a big enough bankroll, or at least enough cash to sit in a 100/200 nl game (I think she had about 15k in front of her), had holes in both her pants and top. Maybe it was her lucky outfit, but it didn't look like what somebody prosperous would wear, especially female, at least if we use stereotypes as a point of reference.
Seat 8. A guy that came with Ben and Matt. Seemed like a handler, manager etc.
Seat 9. Bob Bright. You may remember him as the guy who bought himself and his entire family in the Plaza 50k event, back when a 50k tourney ellicited gasps, not a shrug and = a buy in in an online game.

The speculation that Affleck mucked the best hand (i.e. an overpair) in the pot that Daniel Alaei won- I would say it's possible, since both him and Matt were, or at least seemed, very convincingly, hammered, as well as because of his comment 'You have two pair?' to Alaei. Also, both the flush and the open ended straight draw hit on the river, so that leaves us with a very limited range of hands that he could have had, other than an overpair. However, it is most likely that he would have showed his overpair as in 'look at my bad beat', had he had one.

This concludes my little report from the Rio. It was a fun game to watch, and I wish I had been able to get a seat in it and participate from a less passive perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gesus. Not going to even try reading that novel of a paragraph.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM

iAm, wtf?

great post boychick, ty.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seat 2. Gabe Thaler. Hardly needs an introduction, at least for anybody who is familiar with live NL cash games 25/50 and higher. It is worth mentioning that he is now banned from Bellagio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please go into full details, this is very NVG worhty.

[/ QUOTE ]