Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Durrrr in process of losing 60k in a chess bet.. good month for ra

I used to be a strong club level player (1700ish USCF).. I put my chess program on highest GM setting and down a knight. With 5 or 10 minute time I only eeked out a few draws and lost most of them.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

[ QUOTE ]
the only way i think durr or anyone else in his position would have a chance is to make it blitz, and hope that the GM you're playing is a blitz fish

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely backwards. You're up a rook. The major way a typical club player would lose in that situation is to blunder. Playing blitz massively increases the chances of you blundering. I'd want it to be a correspondence game, if possible.

I think people are overestimating how difficult it is to win up a rook. Grandmasters are not magical. They can't change the fact of what is on the board. I would be a favourite against Garry Kasparov if he played down a rook. The basic gameplan is trade off as many pieces as possible, open some files so the rook is useful, and keep the king safe.

Contrast that with what durrr did (I've taken a look at the games now). In game 1 he failed to develop, instead playing the crazy Qa5 and stuffing his queen down on a3 in some attempted pawn-grab, when he's already a rook up. He allowed his king to be trapped in the center and broadly speaking that's why he lost. In game 2 he actually twice runs away from piece trades, retreating his bishop to e6 and then d7 when a trade with the knight is possible. The losing move in this game was d4 in response to curtains' e4. It not only closed up the center, reducing the power of his extra rook, but it locked all his pieces away from the K-side, where curtains is about to attack. Look at the board after ... c5 and notice how utterly locked out of the K-side durrr's queen is. It's going to take him like 4 moves to get her there if he needs to.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM

HAHAHAHAH DURRR ACTUALLY DID THIS BET WITH YOU OMG!

I remember you talking to me about this bet and just laughing b/c there was like basically no way for durrr to win it vs. a world champ like curtains.

curtains - did you smack durr in the face with your dick after the match was done?

raptor - were you prepared to strip down and dance in front of durrr 4tw if the match got close?

durrr - please let me prop bet you for monies

Yugoslav
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Totally off topic but has anyone heard about a chess game between A known poker player that i think was Ram Vaswani and a well known Grand Master. The rumor i heard was they bet 100,000 and ram got 10-1. The rest of the rumor was that ram used an ear piece linked to a computer that had not lost ever in simulation. Obviously ram whips the GM and questions about how its possible for a poker player to beat a GM. Well i heard they caught known poker player with the ear piece and found out what happened. Pretty crazy if true. Any real info on if this actually occured and the actual players involved would be great! Again i have no actual knowledge if this is true just a rumor i heard

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure this was an episode of Cheers
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I followed the first ten or so moves of game 1 in my head and durrr sucks pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, he's even worse than Raptor alluded to. I can picture how the rest of the game goes pretty easily.

Yugoslav
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Totally off topic but has anyone heard about a chess game between A known poker player that i think was Ram Vaswani and a well known Grand Master. The rumor i heard was they bet 100,000 and ram got 10-1. The rest of the rumor was that ram used an ear piece linked to a computer that had not lost ever in simulation. Obviously ram whips the GM and questions about how its possible for a poker player to beat a GM. Well i heard they caught known poker player with the ear piece and found out what happened. Pretty crazy if true. Any real info on if this actually occured and the actual players involved would be great! Again i have no actual knowledge if this is true just a rumor i heard

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure this was an episode of Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

plz post more
Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are under estimating the different ways a GM could play to prevent you from simply trading pieces, specifically not using an opening you are familiar with like

e4 e5
nf3 nc6
bc4 nf6

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody that doesn't know that opening can't call themselves a competent player. Which side does the GM have in that sequence?

You do make a good point though KKF, one I alluded to earlier, in that the GM would have a harder time compromising the weaker player without a knight as oppopsed to without a rook.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i meant the GM wouldnt be playing a simple opening like that which would allow him to just trade pieces. d4 d5 is much harder to play than e5 e4 imho.

i think a rook is more valuable than a knight, not that it matters much because durrr had zero chance.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.d4 d5 2.c4 Bf5 3.Nc3 c6 4.Bf4 e6 5.c5 Qa5 6.a3 Bxc5 7.dxc5 Qxc5 8.Rc1 d4 9.Ne4 Qa5+ 10.b4 Qxa3 11.Nd6+ Ke7 12.Qxd4 Nd7 13.e4 Bg6 14.Ra1 c5 15.Qxg7 Qxb4+ 16.Bd2 Qd4 17.Qxd4 cxd4 18.Bb4 Kf6 19.f4 e5 20.f5 Bh5 21.h3 Nh6 22.Bd2 Ke7 23.Nxb7 Rab8 24.Na5 Rhc8 25.Bxh6 f6 26.Bc1 Kf7 27.g4 Nc5 28.gxh5 Nxe4 29.Bc4+ Ke8 30.Ne2 Nd6 31.Be6 Rc7 32.Ba3 Ne4 33.Bd5 Nc5 34.Bc6+ Kf8 35.Bxc5+ Kg7 36.Bd6 Rxc6 37.Nxc6 Rb6 38.Rxa7+ Kh6 39.Bf8+ Kxh5 40.Rxh7+ Kg5 41.Ne7 Rb1+ 42.Kf2 d3 43.Bh6+ Kh4 44.Be3# 1-0

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra *DELETED*

Post deleted by snagglepuss
Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 PM

Curtains,

Is this your biggest chess score?