Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 10/20 Hand Against TV Dude (No, not wrong forum)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is it with 2+2 authors and open limping?

[/ QUOTE ]

limping in FR is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it with 2+2 authors and full ring?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're more live oriented.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM

Hi all,

This is a perfect situation to limp-reraise preflop. (1) You are very likely to get raised. (2) If you raise and get called, there will be too much money left behind on the flop relative to the pot. Any aggressive opponent can make it painful for you and force you to make a tough all-in or possibly lay down the best hand. (3) If you instead limp-reraise and get 9% of your stack in, it's very hard for your opponent to call profitably. He has to have a pocket pair, and you have to get all in almost every time he flops a set or better. (4) He is likely to call your limp-reraise.

Those who understand stacks and pot sizes so well that you don't mention it, just make a couple points like the above here and there so everyone will follow what you're saying. This stuff isn't rocket science, but it solves a lot of no-limit problems. That's what you use stack-to-pot ratios for, to determine when to commit, when to raise preflop, how much to raise preflop (yes, it should vary sometimes), and when to do things like limp-reraise.

I would occasionally lay this hand down postflop against opponent, but only with a strong physical read or other tell. If you shut your eyes and committed every time, using whatever line maximized opponent's bluffing, you would do well.

Sunny'll give the results or I will tomorrow.

Matt
Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM

Open limping and limp reraising is fine for live full ring. I think most of you are being too close minded. Limp reraising AA is a fine play as long as people either think your range is a lot wider than AA or don't care what your range is to begin with and give you action regardless.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM

Haha matt stop copying me. This is like in NLTAP when Ed/David said that certain situations call for certain raises, despite sometimes giving away your hand. In live FR at least, deception is not most important concept always.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ppl who hate preflop never played full ring. It's completely standard to do at least some of the time and more +EV than always open raising (provided you balance it okish).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Especially with this lineup, there is often going to be mad action before it gets back to you. Stuff like other tags iso-raising the donkey player etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's the issue. The questionable issues about preflop are :

1. How often would just get a reraise if you just opened normally ?

2. How often are you limp-reraising with less than premiums?

3. Does the benefit from limp-reraising big pairs outweigh the negative of limp-reraising the junk you have to mix in for balance?

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno about this guy since it's flow dependent and i wasn't there, but AK is a good hand to lrr with in many circumstances. against this guy not, because he's too aggro.

villain's reraise standards are a good question, again i wasn't there, raise hoping to get reraised may be a more profitable line.

in these hyper-revved-up live games perceptions change and people do far more lrr with hands other than AA/KK than may be seen "normally." villain is expecting someone to play back, and must consider Sunny might be punking him. so Sunny's range can be exactly AA/KK and it doesn't matter. Sunny doesn't have to balance: aggro live game play stuff will "balance" for him.

in a more predictable online game where lrr means big hand most of the time and people are aggro in position but not like villain here, lrr with AK can work as your sole balancing hand, and you don't have to do it (or want to) every time. but it's not as fun as throwing a few more in.

p.s. stack-a-donk would be so beautiful here, provided there's not a better line like weak lead twice to induce an all-in (if he'd bite).
Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 PM

ok having played live for the past week (was in vegas) i see the merits (since the games play like .01/.02 online). but most of us play online and 6max, so i don't see what's so relevant about this hand.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha matt stop copying me.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure just move your answer sheet closer... ;-)
Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I've always wondered is how much different playing a game like $100/$200 NL really is. I have played 1/2 and 2/5 live and have friends who have played some 5/10. I would not be surprised if you told me that a solid, winning small stakes player would have little trouble adapting to the way these games play.

[/ QUOTE ]

likely less than many people think!

much of the difference is hand reading and how well you adjust to tough aggressive players. many hand lines don't change.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sunny plays online 6-max mostly. He was just at the Bellagio that week, hence the FR hand. I play full ring only when nothing else is available live, and never online (at least not hold'em).