Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

han,

JTMD is not good, but it's definitely watchable. I remember reading the info blurb for The Family Stone and not even considering recording it based on that.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 AM

I'll rank from best to worst:

capote: The one that came out 1.5 years ago (w/o sandra bullock) was sick good IMO. was amongst my "top" films of 2005.

the chronicles of narnia: this is a very solid movie as well. I watched it w/ my family, and really enjoyed it, a bit nostalgic b/c I would watch the original movie (I think?) when I was a kid.

shitier movies now:

the break-up: I have a soft spot for the two stars of this. I like how it wasn't very cliche (imo) and was not uber lame.

the weather man: boring. Cage is alright actually, which is impressive! Michael Cain in it too.

broken flowers: IDK wtf this movie was trying to do. This is like a lame "About Schmidt". Check it out for the full frontal (girls like 18). I remember the scenes that I liked where were Bill is sitting around at home, not traveling.

north country: are you a feminist? Neither am I.
posiedon: This movie knows it sucks. Thats why it ignores any plot/character/sophisticates stuff, and just berates you w/ flames, water, crazy things, etc...

four brothers: Really hated it. Rated it as worst movie of 2005.Im a big Walburg and Andre 3000 fan, unfortunately it dosnt work. Plot is hideously cheesy, and the acting is painful to watch.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 AM

I know it's not on free PPV, but Alpha Dog is available and it's shockingly entertaining. There's a lot of mistakes and a few flat horrible parts, but it's fun, Olivia Wilde gets naked, and JT is pretty solid.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you guys actually pay to see it in the theater? I'd probably feel differently if I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I knew nothing about it though except who was in it.
GF wanted to see it.

She's hot for Pierce. I'm hot for Salma. A movie made for both of us, or so we thought.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:41 PM

JTMD wasn't too bad. I thought it was cool how the girls tried to get revenge on John Tucker but even in the end he still got the last laugh.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM

I saw The Break Up with my gf, and neither one of us liked it. Something about the way they fought made both of us extremely uncomfortable, like if we actually knew these people and they were having a fight in front of us when we all went out to the bar together. So it wasn't so much funny as it was painfully awkward the whole time.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Tucker Must Die was not bad. I mean, it was no She's All That or 10 Things I Hate About You, but it was good stupid fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what the official review for JTMD should be. You could do much worse in a teeny-bop movie.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw The Break Up with my gf, and neither one of us liked it. Something about the way they fought made both of us extremely uncomfortable, like if we actually knew these people and they were having a fight in front of us when we all went out to the bar together. So it wasn't so much funny as it was painfully awkward the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of how I feel about the TV show Everyone Loves Raymond although probably on a smaller scale.
There are some funny lines in there. But the fighting and negativity even in that relatively light-hearted TV show just rubs me the wrong way.
Just not appealing or funny at all.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 PM

I'm surprised you didn't enjoy The Break-Up. I agree with every other movie on that list that we'd both seen. Here are the ones I have seen that you haven't:

The Weather Man - I watched this last night because I was bored. It was fine, but forgettable. Turn it on if you're planning on sleeping in front of the TV or something and need some background noise.

find me guilty, the omen, posiedon - never seen them.

Capote - Definitely in my Top 5 of 2005, and P.S. Hoffman deserved all the accolades. I hadn't read In Cold Blood until after I'd seen the movie, and I know you have, so I don't know how that will affect your opinion.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - Good movie, but make sure you're paying attention to it when you're watching it. It kinda has the feel of a mindless popcorn movie at first, but there are enough plot twists and subtleties that you'll miss a lot if you have this on in the background. I had to watch it twice. Val Kilmer has a good role.

Broken Flowers, Shopgirl - These two movies had a very similar feel to me, so I'm lumping them together. I liked Broken Flowers a bit better, probably because I tend to enjoy Bill Murray's movies moreso than Steve Martin's. I'd recommend watching Broken Flowers, then if you hate it, don't bother with Shopgirl, because you won't like it either. If you do, wait a month, then watch the other one. They're too similar to watch within a few days of each other.

The Squid and the Whale - Really funny, albeit a bit dry. Certainly worth a watch.

bubba ho-tep, be here to love me: a film about townes van zandt, this film is not yet rated - Haven't seen.

North Country - Meh. It was just really formulaic. It was completely obvious how it was going to turn out, but it's fine if you're really bored I guess. Kind of like how you described Invincible.

Brokeback Mountain - Worth watching. Ledger was very good, and the scenery in the movie was worth watching it for alone IMO. Though it might lose something off the big screen. If nothing else, it's not bad, and you kinda have to watch it at some point to see what the hype was about, no?

An Inconvenient Truth - I generally try to stay away from politically-driven documentaries, but I'd heard enough good stuff about this that I gave it a shot. It was informative and worth watching, though in the back of my mind I was skeptical throughout the whole movie about how many stats were twisted to fit Gore's agenda. I guess there's just no way around that though.

Bus 174 - I really want to see this, but haven't yet.

Freedomland - Delete this at once. It's horrid. Don't even give it a chance.

the chronicles of narnia, the assassination of richard nixon, ong-bak the thai warrior, intacto, ghosts of abu ghirab - Haven't seen.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
North Country - Meh. It was just really formulaic.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it's got a great cast and is worth watching compared to most of the other stuff. In particular, I loved Woody Harrelson as the redneck/lawyer/hockey player.

And of course, the main twist is watching them try to take Charlize Theron and make her look ugly by having her wear baggy, dirty clothes the whole time. But still, all you can think about the whole movie is how hot she is.
Closed Thread