FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Cal or fold?
Call 45 86.54%
Fold 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: d10 drives home from work, a trip report

[ QUOTE ]
I think a better argument for you to make is that your driving was not out of line for the situation, even if it was technically tailgating. In heavy traffic at high speed it becomes pretty standard for everyone to follow too closely to be truly safe. Otherwise, as you said, other cars cut you off and take your spot

[/ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong with other cars "taking your spot" if it doesn't slow down traffic. If you leave enough room for someone to get in in front of you, as long as they're not causing you to jam on the brakes, there's nothing wrong with this.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won't brake check, because that's dumb, but I will slow down a lot until they back off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't understand what this accomplishes? More than likely, it's just going to anger the dude behind you and make him do something dumb. Why not just continue at speed until you can move over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not escalting. I'm slowing down so that he has to slow down so that if we have to stop he'll be moving slow enough so as to not plow into me. This also helps send the message "you are driving too close". (mind you this is Seattle traffic, so it's not like I can move over and he'll be able to keep on flying or anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly what they told us to do in Driver's Education. If a guy won't maintain a reasonable distance between his car and yours, slow down so that his following distance is no longer putting you and him at risk. I don't actually ever do this though.

I'm guessing that Dids doesn't do this in the passing lane. That wouldn't make much sense.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won't brake check, because that's dumb, but I will slow down a lot until they back off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't understand what this accomplishes? More than likely, it's just going to anger the dude behind you and make him do something dumb. Why not just continue at speed until you can move over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not escalting. I'm slowing down so that he has to slow down so that if we have to stop he'll be moving slow enough so as to not plow into me. This also helps send the message "you are driving too close". (mind you this is Seattle traffic, so it's not like I can move over and he'll be able to keep on flying or anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly what they told us to do in Driver's Education. If a guy won't maintain a reasonable distance between his car and yours, slow down so that his following distance is no longer putting you and him at risk. I don't actually ever do this though.

I'm guessing that Dids doesn't do this in the passing lane. That wouldn't make much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no passing lane in Seattle the vast majority of the time. Only the left lane moving slightly faster than the ones next to it. But yes, when somebody is going faster than me and traffic is free enough to move over, I will. When I get annoyed is the guy riding my bumper in traffic where I can't get over, and where I can't go faster.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no passing lane in Seattle the vast majority of the time. Only the left lane moving slightly faster than the ones next to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is likely because nobody in Seattle knows how to drive. Any time the left lane is just a slightly faster lane than the rest, it's likely a result of people who don't understand what it's there for.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is no passing lane in Seattle the vast majority of the time. Only the left lane moving slightly faster than the ones next to it. But yes, when somebody is going faster than me and traffic is free enough to move over, I will. When I get annoyed is the guy riding my bumper in traffic where I can't get over, and where I can't go faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly the situation where i would brake-check. no one is getting anywhere any faster.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think a better argument for you to make is that your driving was not out of line for the situation, even if it was technically tailgating. In heavy traffic at high speed it becomes pretty standard for everyone to follow too closely to be truly safe. Otherwise, as you said, other cars cut you off and take your spot

[/ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong with other cars "taking your spot" if it doesn't slow down traffic. If you leave enough room for someone to get in in front of you, as long as they're not causing you to jam on the brakes, there's nothing wrong with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you're on the 4-lane (2 per side) Interstate going through heavy traffic, like the kind you encounter on the way out of a big city. There's traffic in the right lane doing 65. A guy in front of you is passing them at 70. You're behind him, waiting for him to move over so you can go 80. But you leave 2 seconds between you and him. Now a couple cars in the right lane cut in front of you before you pass them to pass the slower traffic. But the cars that just got in front of you only want to go 68. They're still passing the slow traffic, but now they're holding you up even more, and you're now stuck waiting for three cars to find spots to move over instead of just one before you can get up to speed.

Plus, sometimes you'll run into one of those pricks who never moves over and you end up stuck in the left lane for 10 miles waiting to get a clear shot.

If you leave room in heavy traffic on the Interstate, aggressive drivers will be constantly cutting in front of you and moving you farther back in the line before you can open up.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon, you say your loc is the Lodi DMV and you're saying this? This is rare - especially in the kind of situation we're describing.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you're on the 4-lane (2 per side) Interstate going through heavy traffic, like the kind you encounter on the way out of a big city. There's traffic in the right lane doing 65. A guy in front of you is passing them at 70. You're behind him, waiting for him to move over so you can go 80. But you leave 2 seconds between you and him. Now a couple cars in the right lane cut in front of you before you pass them to pass the slower traffic. But the cars that just got in front of you only want to go 68. They're still passing the slow traffic, but now they're holding you up even more, and you're now stuck waiting for three cars to find spots to move over instead of just one before you can get up to speed.

Plus, sometimes you'll run into one of those pricks who never moves over and you end up stuck in the left lane for 10 miles waiting to get a clear shot.

If you leave room in heavy traffic on the Interstate, aggressive drivers will be constantly cutting in front of you and moving you further back in the line before you can open up.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, maybe this is a nitty point, but what kind of city has only two lanes going each way in and out of it? I grew up in Jersey and live right near Manhattan. I don't think I've ever seen a highway with just two lanes each way...

Either way, obviously there are different protocols for different situations. In most cases, it's only the [censored] who refuse to let anyone in front of them in the left lane. If you know someone is driving slow, or if they're trying to bypass consistent left lane flow by dodging in to the right, then I won't let them back in. But for the most part, if someone is trying to get into the left lane in front of me, I'm not going to be the [censored] speeding up to make sure they can't move.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon, you say your loc is the Lodi DMV and you're saying this? This is rare - especially in the kind of situation we're describing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm an aggressive driver, and to a lot of people I'm probably an a--hole driver, but I think I'm reasonable and logical most of the time. If someone is driving solo in the left lane going 5 mph over the speed limit, they're getting my bumper up their ass. That doesn't give them the right to brake check me, because they're at fault. Meanwhile, if I'm behind a string of traffic that's going 5 mph over the speed limit, you don't have the right to tailgate me. I'll brake check you, and you'll deserve it. I'm pretty much of the attitude that if there's someone who wants to go faster than me no a fairly open road, I should leave the left lane open for them to do so. That's why I'm rarely tailgated in unreasonable situations.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM

I only mean on the way out of a city, when the Interstate has gone back down to standard two lanes each way, but the traffic is still heavy. I've been through miles and miles of heavy traffic on standard four-lane Interstates.

But anyway, it applies pretty much to any four-lane highway where there is heavy traffic.

I guess you're a nicer guy than me, because if I suspect a guy wants to move over into the passing lane and think there's a good chance he's gonna slow me down, I'm gonna try to prevent him from doing it. There are too many idiots who like to camp out in the passing lane to take the chance of letting one in front of me.

Edit: But I don't speed up to pin people in. I just stay close enough to the guy in front of me that they're never going to try and cut in front of me because they'll see that there's no room to try it.