Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: 3k buy-in, big stacks, out in 5 minutes...am I stupid or badluck

why are you even asking for advice if you are going to tell everyone that thinks you played the hand horribly how wrong they are?

oh wait you didnt want advice, you just posted a bad beat story so people would tell you "ZOMG YOU PLAYED IT PERFECT WHAT A FISH THAT GUY WAS" since you feel like a loser for pissing away 3k.

personally, i think you played the hand terribly sticking 600BB in with AQ on the flop and queer minraises.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know after thinking about it, I don't like the preflop raise. It would be great if you had 100xBB, but you have 600xBB. With 600xBB, AQo is not the kind of hand you want to play a raised pot with, particularly OOP. You really want to be playing mostly pps, suited connectors and the like, and AK. Also, picking up the pot is not so important.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a skilled player, you really shouldn't be scared of playing what is most likely the best preflop hand for a raise even if its out of position.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Deep stack tournaments are lost early and won late, easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when people say stupid cliches like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, THAY3R and I are actually in agreement.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
77 was a possibility, but again I honestly thought he would have raised it preflop to push out the other limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only part of your post that I totally disagree with. Otherwise, I think its just a pretty normal hand and it really isn't as interesting or outrageous as you're making it out to be.

You got it all in with the best, and thats all you can ask for. But why exactly were you risking so much of your bankroll on one tourney?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly was slightly unsure he might have a hand like 77. However, my reasoning behind him NOT having such a hand was that about 3 players limped before him. With a medium pair, you'll want to raise a little preflop to thin the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

This simply isn't true at all. You may play it like this, but many many players will want to play for set value when they're deepstacked and will want as many limpers as possible.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. I didn't ask for a critique, I simply asked how you all would have played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Isn't that pretty much the same thing?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I stated in above post, 40 minutes. You can look at it on foxwoods website.. they use "Turbo structure for blinds".

I don't see why you are hating so hard, you and THAY3R seem to hate on people a lot. Must be easy when sitting behind a computer to be sarcastic jerks.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAY3R is definitely a "hater"...I'll agree with you there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well I planned on it, but I bet out first to act 1,000.. he raised 3,000... I minimum reraised another 3,000.. then he pulled the trigger for 20k roughly more.. I knew I was ahead, it was just a decision time. I could've folded even if I knew I was ahead. But it's a turbo tourney and you really got to focus on getting alot of chips in when you think you're ahead because there is little time to 'catch-up' so to speak even if you start off with a large stack.

Supposely this tournament was a 'day tourney' with blinds escalating every 40 minutes. So I figured it was time to gamble, even though it was quite a bit quicker than I anticipated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you want to get from your original post. Let' me guess - Either you think it's a bad beat or you question yourself about playing the hand incorrectly - "am I stupid (= am I playing the hand incorrectly?) or badluck (bad beat)".

Here is my feedback reading your post.
1. In the hand, you and villain "talk" to each other thru betting/raising. When you bet/raise, you want to get some information and also get value of your best hand. When villain calls/raise, etc... (based on your read on his previous play) you generally get infromation. You put these together and know where you are and your risk/reward if you continue to play. Meanwhile, you also tell villain what he may be facing. Two way communications thru betting/rasing.

2. In this hand, I think you didn't tell villain clearly about where you stand. On the flop, you bet 1K, it's a probing bet. Villain raises to 3k, he tells you "Go away, you are behind", you mini-raise to 3K, that's not enough to convince villain he's beaten also it doesn't tell yourself where your AQ stands.

====================================
Assume you bet 1K, he raises to 3K, here you talk to yourself "am I up against a set or a flush draw?", "do I want to raise to stop him or flat call and see the turn?", "if I raise, is villain capable of understanding my range?", "if villain goes all-in, he has a set or flush draw?" ... then, from his react, you make your judgement, let's say you raise to 12K (instead of your mini-raise). This will tell villain that he's up against a set, 2pair and you won't fold to a push. If he's on the draw he'll will think hard before acting. To you, if he just calls, you know he has a draw; if he re-raises all-in, it's up to you to decide what to do with your rest 15k, you would ask yourself "do I want to risk all my chips against a flush draw here?", "how likely he plays a set like this?" etc...

The difference between raising mini-raise to 6K and raising to 12K is the later will help you and villain clearly understand each other's range and expect what the coming action will be.

You mini-raise, villain didn't put you on very strong hand and belived you'd fold to a push/big re-raise, so he raised you and committed himself without clearly understanding what he was up against.

If you raise to 12K and push the turn while he still calls you on the turn, it's a different story because villain knows what he's up against and plays the hand wrong .

As played, you actually dragged him into the pot. I can't say he play it completely wrong in this hand, you are partially responsible for his bad play.

To answer your question in the subject, it's a little of both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you're saying here....

it seems as if you're critisizing him for playing a hand in a way that didn't give it away, and instead you're suggesting that he plays his hand in such a way that clearly lets his opponent know what he has....doesn't that pretty much go against everything you're trying to do in poker?

He got villian all in as a 2-1 dog...THATS WHAT HE WANTED. Nobody* passes up a 2-1 advantage even if it is early.

*unless you're Phil Hellmuth
Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you continue to banter me about my play Reno. You say I don't understand how I could have a read on the guy. Well, you apparently don't read people well or play too much online poker.

I read him, I made the right play, lost. That's all there is to it. I had a great read on him from listing the reasons as stated in the above posts. You make a valid point if I had read him wrong, but the fact of the matter is that I pinpointed his hand, and was a favorite when I got my chips in (this point you seem to continuously not understand).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you're being too results oriented. You had a slight read on him and happened to be right...theres no way that you could be as sure as you're making it sound.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ZOMG I HAD THE BEST HAND AND THEN LOST SHOULD I HAVE PLAYED IT DIFFERENTLY?!??!

ZOMG I HAD THE BEST HAND HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE ME

/thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really are a jerk in every forum and not just SE, huh?