Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: worst session?

[ QUOTE ]
sorry to ask this, but did you embellish a little bit in your post?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. What would be the point?

The largest loss I can remember in one day is a 40 big bet loss in a Mirage 10-20 game with 2+2er Jim Rivett sitting next to me. That doesn't include an 86 big bet loss in the 2+2 3-6 "home" game at the Bicycle a few months ago.

On the other side, the largest win I think I've had is a 65 big bet win in a Mirage 20-40 game. A 3-6 Pineapple game at the Bicycle is right in that neighborhood as well.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, but if you have been playing professionally in vegas for three years, that should not stand out as one of the "worst" sessions. heck, to lose 100 bigbets in just ONE session is a really bad day, but not something most pros would describe as extrodinary.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would depend on the length of the session.

FWIW, I'm nowhere close to the skill level of Dynasty or Clarkmeister, but here are my results to date.

I play two sessions per day, five days per week. One online 3-hour session and one live 4-hour session. I don't quit when I'm ahead or behind a certain amount. I quit when my time is up.

My biggest 3-hour online losing session so far is -73 BB (playing two tables).
My biggest 4-hour live losing session so far is -52 BB.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:46 PM

Paul,

The worst B&M loss I've ever had (in a couple thousand hours of play) is about 80BB. Online (in a few hundred hours of play) I've lost 100BB a number of times. I would look up my biggest session loss, but that's too depressing.

The difference, of course, is the fact that if I play 8 hours at the cardroom, I get about 250-300 hands. If I play 4 hours online, I get about 1600 hands.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:57 AM

if I lost 100 bb in a single session, I'd throw myself in front of a bus.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Three Years in Las Vegas

Sweet post. My first love was also chess, I started playing a couple of years ago in high school but never actually had a USCF rating. I guess the love of games in general as a common thread of most poker players is to be expected, but I didn't expect so many players to love chess as well, that's really cool. I'm a sophomore in college getting my degrees in philosophy/political science. I have no idea where those will take me, but it's refreshing to read a success story of someone who's bucked the 9-5 work week.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the WSOP, I don't play tournaments, and at this point, I don't see myself taking the effort to learn. I've had a friend offer to buy me a seat out of his pocket and split any profit 50/50 and I turned it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister, could you explain this a bit more? I'm just surprised to read this, regardless whether you play tournaments or not. Seems like a +EV play, if you're investing nothing out of pocket.

Although conversely, I guess you'd be playing your regular ring game instead, and that's clearly a +EV play as well. Or did you simply not want the pressure of freerolling with your friend's 10k? Can't blame you if that's the case.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting comment.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:00 PM

"I'm a sophomore in college getting my degrees in philosophy/political science. I have no idea where those will take me"

Bartender
Cabdriver
Law school

I am not sure I chose correctly. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2004, 12:42 AM

In my last 2500 hours of play, my worst sessions in B&M rooms (VEGAS ONLY) were: 32 big bets in 10-20, 42 big bets in 20-40, and 27 big bets in 30-60. My biggest wins in these games were 40.5 big bets in 10-20, 39 big bets in 20-40 and 22 big bets in 30-60.

I think 100 big bets is alot to lose in one session, either online or in a B&M room. I remember Annie Duke saying something a few years ago about using a guideline of 25 big bets as a maximum session loss. I don't know if she has "adjusted" this number as the games have become more loose.

If you are a person like me that virtually never has HUGE wins, it's probably best that you dont ever have HUGE losses. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I have always TRIED to use a guideline of never losing more in one session that I "am likely" to make in 2. So, if my "average win" is about 10-12 big bets, given my "guidelines", I should not exceed a 20-22 big bet loss for any one session.

OH NO...the "silly Subject" of monay management rears is ugly head once again, huh?

All I know is that at the end of the day, it's all money to me.....

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2004, 04:37 AM

hehe..I was thinking the same thing...

Congrats, Dynasty...mindboggling that your understanding of the game is as good as it is and that you have been playing only 3 years.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:02 AM

Touche.

[ QUOTE ]
Yours is the sort of post that I trawl the internet looking for, knowing I'll find a gem like it three or four times a year at most...

THANK YOU for a really great post! It's satisfying and educational to read honest accounts of real poker.

- roGER

[/ QUOTE ]