Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Theory- Merging Your Range

[ QUOTE ]
and btw, if you find yourself in these spots often, youre either getting outplayed or not reading hands well

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this.

I'm inclined to think playing very well includes being in a decent number of spots where your bets are very thin and/or fall into the "valuebluff" category we're discussing, but generally if you're in this spot less often than your opponent, that's a very good thing.

////////

Random probably too-general comment/assertion: overlapping ranges/value bluffs appear more often in/figure more prominently in strategy for limit poker than no limit.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
limit poker

[/ QUOTE ]

LFTV,

cool oxymoron.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 AM

pete has explained further to me how a bet can in fact be neither value or bluff. i concede and retract some parts of what ive posted but too lazy to go back thorugh it all

edit/
its so thin and marginal that much of what i said i stand by
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 AM

oh snap i just figured it out, you post this so that hundreds of mediocre small to mid stakes players who lurk/occasionally post will read it, fail to understand whats actually going on, and then start making all sorts of stupid river bets with mediocre holdings, but not complain too much when they get called by better ones, justifying it because it was a "range-mergerino" or whatever it finally becomes dubbed by the cleverest lurker-turned-poster, because they could have gotten called by worse sometimes. then you can just chill out and take all their ill-advised riverbetting monies when they start bluffing you without realizing it.

or you could just change the title:
"theory - make bets that you dont understand but its ok because aejones said so and he's super good! while aejones and company lurk in the shadows taking advantage of copycat bad-tags putting more chips in on the river than they should."
Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 AM

I'm going to repeat myself here.

There's a difference between making a bet with the intention of it being a valuebluff and making a bet with the intention of it being a bluff or valuebet that happens to work as something you didn't mean it to.

If his calling range is weighted towards hand you beat then it's a value bet. If his calling range is weighted towards hand you lose to then it's a bluff. Sometimes he calls worse when you were bluffing or folds better when you were valuebetting but that's a function of him having a range of hands and you not knowing that range perfectly.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, some of these responses...

its just the reason no good players want to post here.

[/ QUOTE ]
hey guys look at me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111hahahahaha111won kcustubrekopytparnoyenomedamI111!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 AM

haha. was hoping it would go by unnoticed since i woke up this morning and was gonna delete or edit it. those who live in sweden knows it was valborg, it was 7.30 in the morning and i was checking 2p2 at my afterparty, in the state i am normally in at afterparties. it was completely unnecessary, arrogant and incorrect. sorry.

aejones: i would never imagine putting myself in the same class as strassa and durrr. i never have and i never will. i dont know were u got that from, obviously from out of ur ass like most of ur posts in 2p2. dont think u can hide ur [censored] smug masturbation with some corny church basketball "ship ship mcgipp i am the bigger man" [censored] cause its not working. all u bring to the forums is convoluted clown posts pulled out of your ass (this isnt the first one), with the intention of making yourself look like some clever theoritician. u fail.

also i dont care what u think of my game. its based on like one or two sessions. plus it comes from someone whos opinion (and game) i dont respect. at all.

and ya i am willing to back up my opinion that u suck. name a time and i will fourtable u heads up. i am crossposting this challenge in BBV. if u think im a "nit with one or two tricks up my sleeve", u shouldnt object.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wonkcustubrekopytparnoyenomedamI

[/ QUOTE ]

you spelled party poker wrong
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM

btw all, i have tried to post a bit more lately and will continue doing so to rectify my beef with worthless posts because i realize being a prick without helping out is kinda pointless. i hope that smooths out the arrogant tone for now.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM

When you make a bet that is really thin- it is conceivable that a worse hand could call and better hand could fold given a lack of perfect knowledge on opponents calling range. Yet, you make the bet because you think it’s a profitable valuebet or bluff given what you know. Its important to not misapply this and go out making retarded bets. This post just further emphasizes expanding your betting range to make hand reading for your opponent more difficult.