Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Aussie Millions Thread

[ QUOTE ]
the announcers all joke about how much fricke has sucked out. the players are commenting on it. why cant 2+2 nerds admit that fricke was the suckout master in this tourney?

(...and I admit he is a talented player and that his calling himself a nerd brought him up a few notches on the likeability scale)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the nature of tournament poker.

You have to win your share of 45-55 and 40-60 confrontations in order to go deep into a tourney.

But you probably already know that.

Again, if the circumstances were different (i.e. UIGEA didn't pass), Gobboboy might very well have been a member of "Team PokerStars" by now.

Instead, the two latest PokerStars.net signings after the Aussie Millions are Noah Boeken of the Netherlands and more importantly for PokerStars.net, Sebastian Ruthenberg of Germany (who came in 3rd at EPT Dortmund after winning the made-for-TV PartyPoker.net German Open).
Old 05-13-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the announcers all joke about how much fricke has sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]Did you notice the part about how the announcers said he was once again getting it in behind when he got it in with KJ against a weak ace (which is basically a coin flip) but didn't say a thing when Hansen did the same thing? They say these things because it makes the tournament more interesting to watch, but it doesn't necessarily represent the whole story.

Regarding earlier comments about luck vs. skill- it takes an enormous amount of luck to win ANY poker tournaments. The variance is so high that even the best players are going to have to get lucky- whether it's table draw, winning races, or having people consistently have hands at the bottom of their ranges, you cannot win these things without a HIGH degree of luck. The difference is that the skilled players capitalize on good luck where as poor players don't know how.

Anyway, good job Gobbo- was fun watching you play those pots against Hansen. I think you both played well and miles above what anyone else at the table was doing.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why cant 2+2 nerds admit that fricke was the suckout master in this tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is because he has made some great friends in this community who also happen to understand that tournament players sometimes suck-out. The frequency of Jimmy's suck-outs in some of the early episodes is what seems to be bothering you for some reason, but as others have attempted to explain this is TEE-VEE, and as such, dramatic moments are exaggerated. You can continue of course to think whatever you like, but you obviously have some sort of grudge or bias going: all's fair in love and poker, apparently. I've no hard feelings by others voicing their opinions (this is in response to the guy who thinks his arm-chair psychology qualifies him to diagnose my "passive-aggressiveness"), but do admit to extreme prejudice in favor of my son. Since he did weigh in on this thread, I now bow out.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:15 PM

And I particularly liked Jimmy's flat call of Hanson's hand and then he hit the A. After that hand I went back and watched it and tried to put myself in his spot and put Hanson on a hand and what I came up with is that Hanson likes to call with smallish cards but that the flop didn't look like it would have monstered Hanson. If the flop had been more coordinated then I would have folded but it didn't seem like a huge price to pay to catch either of his 2 top cards. I think Fricke was surprised when Hanson bet out again when the A came but by that point he was too invested and he still had a big stack. Yes, it was luck that he hit it but the board just didn't look that scary and late in tourneys you have to be willing to take bigger chances.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really lucky != really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bayes Theorem would say otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Occam's Razor would say that Gobboboy is the 2nd best tournament player in the world.
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM

oh pleeeeeeeeeease Thayer, let's not EVEN go there.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Fricke was surprised when Hanson bet out again when the A came but by that point he was too invested and he still had a big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, Hansen wasn't betting there for value, that's for sure. By that point he had to put Fricke on a middle pair and figured he could move him off it by representing the ace. Fricke, OTOH, got there because he read Hansen as being weak (which he was) and probably felt he could move Hansen off his hand on the river. The ace coming changed everything though, and both players had to revise their strategies.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 PM

jimmy fricke = aaron kanter
Old 05-13-2007, 11:59 PM

Ok, that's enough, McCutter. 10 of your 62 posts have been about how he got lucky in this one tournament. You've made your opinion well-known. Any more and you are highly likely to be banned for trolling.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:34 AM

this whole thread has been filled with people discussing this matter. are you against free speech? can only afficionados of the game Magic: The Gathering express their opinions here?