Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Little things that annoy you in sports

[ QUOTE ]
Also, everything ESPN does, says, or stands for. ESPN is becoming to sports what MTV is currently to music.

[/ QUOTE ]

That comparison is way over the top. MTV doesn't actually play music anymore. ESPN (despite its other faults) still shows a ton of sports.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the foul fest at the end of basketball games. If a team can benefit by fouling, then there is a problem. This could easily be fixed (delayed whistle hockey style, give the fouled team the option of inbounding, exponentially increasing numbers of free throws, etc.) but no one seems to want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't watch much basketball, and the end of the NCAA games reminded me why.

If a player is fouled, the team should just keep the ball. If the shot goes in, it counts and they still keep the ball. No foul shots. Basketball would be 10x better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you are in favor of a no shot clock rule too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with the shot clock?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you are in favor of a no shot clock rule too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Where did that come from?

(Or am I being leveled?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that changing the free throw rule is as absurd as eliminating the shot clock. There has to be a way to catch up at the end of games, and this is what allows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really doesn't have to be a way to catch up. We might as well just make the game 30 seconds long.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying that changing the free throw rule is as absurd as eliminating the shot clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once upon a time, some people probably thought it was absurd to add a shot clock to basketball, but that worked out pretty well, didn't it? Radical rule changes might seem absurd at first, but sometimes they work out well. Taking out free throws is a radical change, but one that I think would really improve the game.

[ QUOTE ]
There has to be a way to catch up at the end of games, and this is what allows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says who? Why should the game completely change all of a sudden at the end to allow the losing team to catch up? That doesn't happen in any other sport.

(Edit: I guess that's not 100% true, since the clock rules change at the end of halves in football to allow for 2-minute drives. But atleast it's still football, not a free-throw contest.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Victory formation and kneeling down to kill the last 2 minutes of the clock is "football" ??? Maybe, but it's really, really boring.

Your proposed rules re: FTs would basically eliminate all possibilities of comebacks. At least in football you have to get a first down in 4 plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

They wouldn't eliminate comebacks, they would jsut have to start before there are only :30 seconds left.

I don't see why a team that has been outscored for the first 39:30 of a game deserves the chance to comeback in the last 30s. Maybe the last few seconds wouldn't be so exciting, but the game would be better overall. It would also be basketball throughout.

This leads me to the thing in sports that annoys me the most: deciding games with different rules that the whole game uses. This includes shootouts in soccer and hockey, and overtime in college football. I don't like how the time rules change at the end of football games either, but I guess that is a 'little' thing that bothers me.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MLB: The time between pitches. Also limit it to 3 throws to a base by the pitcher per inning.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think about this for about 10 seconds you should realize how stupid it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better rule I think would be limiting the pitcher's warmup pitches to 3 instead of 8. God that takes forever. The starter warms up 2 hours before the game and the reliever warms up for 30 minutes before they bring him in. Let's get the game going again!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should eliminate the comercial break on pitching changes. They have a bullpen, so the pitcher should be able to come strsight into the game. It shouldn't take any longer than changing a position playre, or putting in a pinch hitter.

(Exception for injuries of course.)
Old 03-22-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the corporate branding of everything

Papa John's Stadium

The YAHOO.COM Pre Game Show
The Dorito's Half Time Show
The Energizer Post Game Show

The Meinikee Care Car Bowl

WTF please god help us.

Also, everything ESPN does, says, or stands for. ESPN is becoming to sports what MTV is currently to music.

The best solution to the free throw/foul fest at the end of basektball games is simply to let the team being fouled be given the option of either shooting the free throws or starting a new possession with a new shot clock in the last 1 minute of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why limit this to just the last 1 minute?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This leads me to the thing in sports that annoys me the most: deciding games with different rules that the whole game uses. This includes shootouts in soccer and hockey, and overtime in college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your general idea, but I'm going to give hockey and soccer a pass.

Hockey: It's not practical to play regular season games for multiple overtimes. I like the way the NHL still awards 1 point for losing in OT or a shootout, and ditches shootouts in the playoffs. I think it's a good system. Would I prefer the old system with ties? No, but it's close.

Soccer: You only get three subs and after 120 minutes the players are exhausted. Replays, which are used in some competitions, are better than shootouts imo.

College football OT is terrible imo, and the freethrows in basketball are even worse.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That comparison is way over the top. MTV doesn't actually play music anymore. ESPN (despite its other faults) still shows a ton of sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seriously wondered how long this will last.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This leads me to the thing in sports that annoys me the most: deciding games with different rules that the whole game uses. This includes shootouts in soccer and hockey, and overtime in college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your general idea, but I'm going to give hockey and soccer a pass.

Hockey: It's not practical to play regular season games for multiple overtimes. I like the way the NHL still awards 1 point for losing in OT or a shootout, and ditches shootouts in the playoffs. I think it's a good system. Would I prefer the old system with ties? No, but it's close.

Soccer: You only get three subs and after 120 minutes the players are exhausted. Replays, which are used in some competitions, are better than shootouts imo.

College football OT is terrible imo, and the freethrows in basketball are even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hockey: I would go back to ties after 60 minutes in the regular season. THere is nothing wrong with this. The way they do the playoffs is fine IMO.

In soccer, I would try to design competitions so that there aren't any knockout games. That way games can end after 90 minutes, and if it's a draw, then that's oaky. If you must have a championship game, I wouldn't have any other knockout games. In a championship game, I don't see why they can't keep playing until there is a goal (regardless of how long that takes).
Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In soccer, I would try to design competitions so that there aren't any knockout games. That way games can end after 90 minutes, and if it's a draw, then that's oaky. If you must have a championship game, I wouldn't have any other knockout games. In a championship game, I don't see why they can't keep playing until there is a goal (regardless of how long that takes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why get rid of knockout phases? They're exciting.

If it's a 1-leg tie you should have a replay. This includes championship games.

If it's a 2-leg tie you should have a replay. The team that hosted the first leg should host the replay. This actually makes a lot of sense, because the team that hosts the 2nd leg has a HUGE advantage. Having a replay back at the 1st-leg location would help offset that.

The main problem with this idea is that replaying championship games would be a logistical nightmare because of nuetral fields and ticket sales, etc.

You really can't just play until there's a goal.