Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Math Talent, Asperger\'s Syndrome,\"Social Skills\"

Bad Boys, Bad Boys, who you gonna call?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2% of social people rule the world. The other 98% would be tossed into a trash heap far worse than a toy box by those 2%. And when the top talented geeks decide to become even marginal at social skills they can usurp the vast majority of even that top 2%.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong
Old 03-14-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad Boys, Bad Boys, who you gonna call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Boys, Bad Boys, what's it gonna be?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Here is a man who has actually met someone with Asperger's. That's it in a nutshell. Hell, Einstein couldn't remember to comb his hair, and apparently Isaac Newton, perhaps the most intelligent man in human history in terms of real accomplishment, died a virgin. But Mr. Sklansky will tell the Asperger's patient how to take over the world. With all due respect, sir, on this particular topic, you don't know what you are talking about.

I couldn't any more make up my mind to look someone in the eye and hold the contact than a sparrow could make her mind to look a cobra in the eye and hold the contact. Cuffed pants? Yeah, lots of people are clueless about fashion. That isn't even in the same universe as Asperger's syndrome. What's next? Explain to the breast cancer victim how you had a wart removed when you were in 5th grade.

[ QUOTE ]
People who have full-on Asperger's Syndrome do not fail to follow social conventions just because they fail to see the need for them. Asperger's patients have a lot of trouble understanding facial expressions and picking up from nonverbal clues as to how people are feeling. Thus, they often say the wrong things because they don't pick up on the mood around them. In particular, they often try to carry on conversations about esoteric topics for too long because they don't realize other people are bored or trying to change the topic.

It also seems like Asperger's would be crippling to play poker, at least live, because of the inability to detect tells, and the unawareness about one's own tells.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 AM

It is possible that I shouldn't have lumped Asperger's patients and nerds toghether. I did that because I have actually read that those with Asperger's frequently consider social rituals "illogical" and in many cases they are right.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is possible that I shouldn't have lumped Asperger's patients and nerds together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

Even your use of “patient” is incorrect. Asperger’s Syndrome is not a disease. There is no cure. It is a neurobiological condition and developmental deficit that didn’t even have a name until 1981 and was not recognized clinically until it was included in the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” in 1994, one of an ever-growing list of some 300 classifications that are more often than not applied inappropriately. Hardly surprising, given a laundry list of such bulk.

Further, not everyone in Aspie Land is typical, nor is an Asperger’s diagnosis always comprehensive. My daughter, for example is, atypically, (1) a daughter, not a son (2) not terribly bright, and (3) hopeless at mathematical concepts.

More to the point, your error is in attempting to link a functional, cognitive inability to pick up social cues with a conscious choice to dismiss them. How one or the other might “feel” about it is after-the-fact.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is possible that I shouldn't have lumped Asperger's patients and nerds toghether. I did that because I have actually read that those with Asperger's frequently consider social rituals "illogical" and in many cases they are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure what logic has to do with social acts... i guess a handshake is logical but a high five is not?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Math geniuses realize this too. But that doesn't stop them from feeling a bit silly when they use them. Much sillier than the average Joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as an average Joe 20 years ago wouldn't be caught dead with a pocket protector and a Math Geniues might feel naked without one.

Great post
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what David means is that a highly intelligent person putting forth minimal effort can mimic the rituals of the crowd in such a way that they look better doing it than the others. The smarter person can act "even cooler" than the next guy if he was to put his mind to it...

Am i right, David, or am i right. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your fixed post, independent of physical good looks. This quality is highly important among you know who.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:59 PM

So David, did you continue to cuff your pants?