Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Virginia apologizes for slavery... why?

[ QUOTE ]
To express regret of slavery this many years later is rediculous. It would be more appropriate to express regret of more recent racist policies that some of them may actually have contributed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

if there are still feelings of resentment that have never been publicly addressed why is up to you to put a timeline on it to determine when it is no longer important? it is still relevant to a large part of the population of the state of virginia.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM

govman, i have unresolved issues w/ affirmative action however to say the disparity in test scores on the SAT between races is due to minorities wanting to party as you alluded to and not some deeper issue makes you sound like a racist.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
govman, i have unresolved issues w/ affirmative action however to say the disparity in test scores on the SAT between races is due to minorities wanting to party as you alluded to and not some deeper issue makes you sound like a racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get that he said minorities want to party?? I could say the same thing about your post making you look like a member of the PC police, diligently sniffing out racism and scaring off realistic discussion (sorry to single you out here as others are obviously much more guilty of this than you).

I think liberals would understand the problem/hypocrisy with most of their "repairing unfairness" motives if they learned what incentives mean. And that AA, reparations, almost all welfare programs and progressive taxation remove the valuable incentives and motivation that less fortunate people need to have in order to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I'm not talking about the past here, I'm talking about the future.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Where did you get that he said minorities want to party?? I could say the same thing about your post making you look like a member of the PC police, diligently sniffing out racism and scaring off realistic discussion (sorry to single you out here as others are obviously much more guilty of this than you).

I think liberals would understand the problem/hypocrisy with most of their "repairing unfairness" motives if they learned what incentives mean. And that AA, reparations, almost all welfare programs and progressive taxation remove the valuable incentives and motivation that less fortunate people need to have in order to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I'm not talking about the past here, I'm talking about the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

govman says:

[ QUOTE ]

Yes I totally agree people with 760 on their SAT's should always be given consideration over the ones with 1300.

I mean why study I'm a shoo in. Let's go PARTY !!!!!!

Even better is the phrase.... I'm sorry sir you are 100 % overqualified for this job...... we have quota's to fill.

Where does it stop...... It never will.

Why do people who despise the idea of slavery have to keep paying for the mistakes they did not make.

govman

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think that cultural and economic differences between whites and blacks in this country can be traced, at least partially, to the lingering effects of slavery and subsequent racist policies, you're either ignorant or an idiot.

(And I use 'you' in the general sense here, I am using quick reply so it's not directed at any poster in particular.)

Now, the question of what, if anything, should be done, or whether there is equality of opportunity today, is very different. But to suggest that segregation and Jim Crow are not still relevant, when many of the people holding elective office today were alive to see it or, in a few rare cases, participated in the process, is absolutely absurd. There is no other word for it. Absurd. Society doesn't completely change overnight, or even over a generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

govman says:

[ QUOTE ]

Yes I totally agree people with 760 on their SAT's should always be given consideration over the ones with 1300.

I mean why study I'm a shoo in. Let's go PARTY !!!!!!

Even better is the phrase.... I'm sorry sir you are 100 % overqualified for this job...... we have quota's to fill.

Where does it stop...... It never will.

Why do people who despise the idea of slavery have to keep paying for the mistakes they did not make.

govman

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking??? He's clearly saying that if you're a minority and are "good enough" to clear the much lower standards minorities are held up to for college admissions you're not gonna have any incentive to work harder than that and match the effort of top white or asian high school students. If someone told me that all I needed was an 1100 SAT and low 3s GPA to get into an Ivy I probably would have chucked my books and played video games.

The fact that you could misread this and instead jump to some conclusion about racism is so telling. Yet again productive conversation is quashed by the racism police. Because of your misunderstanding, I have to stop and explain what the comment meant. The dissenting point of view to yours is effectively derailed and on the defensive, because of YOUR lack of reading comprehension!!

And then I start to wonder if liberals are doing this on purpose, misinterpreting positions and accusing dissenters of racism knowing that that will effectively kill the conversation at that point and shame the speaker into muzzling himself. The fact that liberals are obviously hyper-aware of race leads me to believe that they are the true racists. They have no problems bandying accusations of racism around... yet all moderates, libertarians or conservatives I know are very sensitive to racism, and they take accusations of it very seriously. That's why it angers me that liberals can casually throw the charge of racism around so lightly. The people they are accusing or insinuating of racism are almost always good people who don't deserve this kind of treatment. It makes them feel uncomfortable, that they have to walk on eggshells. And as we all are well aware, it kills intelligent discourse. But who would want that...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you joking??? He's clearly saying that if you're a minority and are "good enough" to clear the much lower standards minorities are held up to for college admissions you're not gonna have any incentive to work harder than that and match the effort of top white or asian high school students. If someone told me that all I needed was an 1100 SAT and low 3s GPA to get into an Ivy I probably would have chucked my books and played video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's not clearly saying that at all. what is clear is he pretty flippant about the disparity in SAT scores across race as if those in a lower socioeconomic bracket dont have real challenges in attaining those SAT scores.

why focus on the exception to the rule - the student that would score well above average if he blows off studying but score high enough to get into college? the rule is black scores are lower than white scores across the board.

im not sure why you are so steadfast in interpreting his statements. you staunchly defended him and told me how i should interpret another person's post. ive read enough of his posts in the past and think he can speak for himself.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How does "Virgina" apologize? Did "Virginia" pick up the phone and call "Black People" up and say "Oh, sorry bout that, mmmkay?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I answer your completely inane question, I'll ask you this. How did Virginia apologize?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I just asked you.

[ QUOTE ]
Did every single person in Virginia stand up and apologize all at once?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if that happened, that would be "every person in Virginia apologizing," not "Virginia apologizing."

So are you going to answer the question now?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you going to answer the question now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer it for him, just to speed along the Socratic method. A hundred-fifty odd people in Richmond wrote on a piece of paper, "Virginia regrets being involved in slavery," then they voted on it, and everyone voted in favor.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM

I stopped reading this thread halfway through to save my eyes and brain from more hemorrhaging, but has anyone commented about how if there were no black people in America, the whole reason for MLK being famous/known for being good would be non existent? So losing him if he wouldn't be necessary anyway is some travesty I'm supposed to be worried about?