Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: How did life begin?

[ QUOTE ]
Mike I respect your opinion, but please don't call Mormonism "Christianity". If you want to defend your faith, please defend Mormonism, and call it that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will call Mormons Christians, I used Christianity cause they believe in the Bible and I thought Mormons did too but maybe Im wrong.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea how life began but neither does Christianity or any other religion. None of them can explain how their Gods came to exist. So unless you exclude God from the definition of life, you're no closer to understanding than any atheist. You've just passed the buck. But arbitrarily excuding God from the definition of life is just a form of begging the question.

Right now I think the most likely and convincing explanation for the existence of our particular universe is that we are a virtual simulation created by our descendants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats fair, and intersting. I applaud your use of free agency
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mike I respect your opinion, but please don't call Mormonism "Christianity". If you want to defend your faith, please defend Mormonism, and call it that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then surely no-one should use the word "Christianity", since you all have different variations and all the others are wrong.

Do you have a benchmark number of alternative fictional claims that a sect has to make before it is no longer Christianity?

"Please don't call your predictions based on stars 'astrology', you have rediculous and unverifiable beliefs that dispute known facts" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

no major christian sect/demonination considers mormonism "christianity". Many christian sects/demoninations consider other sects/demoninations as under "christianity".

[/ QUOTE ]

link? LOL.....

Well to be told your wrong sucks, thats not the position of the Mormon church though, its that your partly right and confused on other things.

Pass the Sugah! <----- why would i say that
Old 02-21-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no major christian sect/demonination considers mormonism "christianity". Many christian sects/demoninations consider other sects/demoninations as under "christianity".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not true. What do you have to support it? I definitely know that many Christians present a definition like "I believe that Jesus came to earth and died for my sins," among other definitions that encompass the LDS faith.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not true. What do you have to support it? I definitely know that many Christians present a definition like "I believe that Jesus came to earth and died for my sins," among other definitions that encompass the LDS faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has nothing to do with the "definition" of Christianity as you have heard it or understand it. Regardless, just because LDS has certain beliefs that may coincide with Christian beliefs doesn't mean that we should ignore their many many beliefs that do not.

Anyways, you are free to ask any person at the head of any christian denomination (i'm non-denominational btw) whether they consider mormonism as under the "christian" faith, i am under the impression they do not (but wouldn't mind being proven wrong) ... however mormons do believe they are under the "christian" faith.

this thread is probably not appropriate for this discussion though.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM

Sounds like you don't personally like the belief that Jesus visited the Americas, and based on that you're making a unilateral emotional decision not to consider them Christians.

Who is the "leader" of a denomination? If you're only talking about denominations with a single leader, then that's Catholicism and maybe some orthodox churches, but certainly not the Protestants. As for the Unitarians, well, I think you're way off the mark...

(This thread isn't useful for much else any more, and this topic isn't worth another thread - especially since it's been discussed.)
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you don't personally like the belief that Jesus visited the Americas, and based on that you're making a unilateral emotional decision not to consider them Christians.

Who is the "leader" of a denomination? If you're only talking about denominations with a single leader, then that's Catholicism and maybe some orthodox churches, but certainly not the Protestants. As for the Unitarians, well, I think you're way off the mark...

(This thread isn't useful for much else any more, and this topic isn't worth another thread - especially since it's been discussed.)

[/ QUOTE ]

by head of the religion, i meant anyone in that demonination who is in a position of leadership, be it a bishop, a deacon, a pastor, etc, etc. like i said, feel free to ask them, in my experience (ive talked to quite a few) most have said they do not consider mormonism as christianity.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can we just ignore SitNHit please? i feel like this forum has taken a large step back since he started posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

you prefer the atheist circlejerking that happened before this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this you volunteering to take his place? Can you at least spell and use proper English words? What do you think about Pascal's Wager?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can we just ignore SitNHit please? i feel like this forum has taken a large step back since he started posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

you prefer the atheist circlejerking that happened before this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this you volunteering to take his place? Can you at least spell and use proper English words? What do you think about Pascal's Wager?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO , haha laughing so hard....
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by head of the religion, i meant anyone in that demonination who is in a position of leadership, be it a bishop, a deacon, a pastor, etc, etc. like i said, feel free to ask them, in my experience (ive talked to quite a few) most have said they do not consider mormonism as christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely plenty who accept Mormons as Christians. But you're being wiggly anyhow. You refused a definition of Christian, which is a strong indication of irrationality. So what did you mean? Do you mean that only people who meet certain criteria that can't be described are Christian? If so, then do you think all Baptists and Methodists and Catholics meet these criteria, and that no Mormons do?