Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Winning in Tough Hold \'em Games

[ QUOTE ]
I've read SSHE about 7-8 times and it looks like I read it while in the shower.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little bit of the problem. Since SSH was printed, our Printer, Creel Printing here in Las Vegas has been able to make some dramatic improvements, with our input, in their binding process.

In our business, depending on the title, some of our printings will last for a number of years. On top of that, sometimes books will remain in the system, perhaps because they sit at a book buyer's warehouse for a while. So we often read complaints about issues that were fixed a long time ago.

Being specific, approximately a year ago, our book bindings were put on the new state of the art binding machine installed at Creel. As far as we can tell, this machine has solved many of the binding issues which we have been concerned about for some time.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I often think to myself "Damn, I should be a lot smarter than I actually am".

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but at leat you're honest.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Best wishes to you too, Mason. I know you don't need to hear this, but I would like to take this opportunity to say I really do sincerely appreciate the integrity and hard work you put into your finished product. Especially the integrity.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with voicing that. Mason listens. Mason then comes up with conspiracy theories. Nothing we can do there. He seems to always think the worst in these type discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thats because the conspiracy theories are actually based on truth - he isn't pulling this out of thin air. The challenge becomes when Mason has to filter out those who are a part of the conspiracy, and those who are just chiming in or expressing their opinion.

For those who don't know I am a publisher as well, Mason and I have a lot in common and we discuss the business challenges of selling our printed products. I really get where he is coming from because if I were in his shoes I would often make the same decisions because although they may not be popular ones, they help sell books. If Mason only catered to the elite class of consumer who truly gets it, 2+2 would be a tiny company instead of the leader in the field - he needs to cater to a very wide audience.

Also if its not obvious I really respect that man's opinion, even if he is acting stubborn or pigheaded on a topic, he is generally correct if not at least partially correct - which is a rarity in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see no conspirators in this thread.

Most of us that have been here any length of time know you're in the publishing business. You mention it a lot, not that I find fault w/that.

Don't lump us honest posters in with the riff-raff though. You say 90% of the book complaints come from arm-chair bandits that don't know the value, well I'd say that 90% of those that posted in this thread do.

You and Mason are smart enough to distinguish.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Hi Everyone:

First off, Two Plus Two will not be doing hardbound books. This creates many new issues for us, and right at the moment it's difficult to keep up with all the demands on our organization. Adding an additional set of demands is not in our best interest.

As for other books, such as SS2, having binding problems, I'm not surprised. Binding is just a difficult process that becomes even more difficult for thick books.

By the way, I still have original editions of S/S and books like Million Dollar Blackjack. These were all hardbound, and they all felt apart, mostly because the glue dried out over the years.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, I still have original editions of S/S and books like Million Dollar Blackjack. These were all hardbound, and they all felt apart, mostly because the glue dried out over the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, glue is not used in the binding of hardbound books.

wikipedia article

Guy.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Couldnt publishers make books that are spiral bound instead? or wouldnt that be practical?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 PM

I recently bought "Sklansky on Poker" and "Read 'em and Reap". It's embarassing, for Hellmuth's book, the difference in quality. "Read 'em and Reap" uses something slightly above newsprint.

That said, "Sklansky on Poker" is the most annoying 2+2 book I have because the spine won't break. The rest...fantastic.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, glue is not used in the binding of hardbound books.

wikipedia article

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, my leather bound copy of SSII is both saddle stitched and glued. In fact all hardcover books I own are the same way.. LOTS of glue.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I see no conspirators in this thread.

Most of us that have been here any length of time know you're in the publishing business. You mention it a lot, not that I find fault w/that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your making the "me" mistake. The majority of posters here have never read a thread before about this topic or publishing on 2+2. The majority of readers of this thread don't know I'm in publishing., And the majority of people reading this thread on not conspirators either, but they are out there, and they do exist, and they have influenced opinions more than you realize.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Mason, when is this book going to be available.