Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

[ QUOTE ]
btw i wonder how sitnhit's god would feel that he thinks life is so worthless that without the threat of eternal punishment, he wouldn't even bother living it out.

actually, the fact that sitnhit's life sucks so much that he would kill himself if not for his fear of hell makes me feel better. seriously, it sounds like his life really, really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, good post, if your goal was to just try to bash me however you could. My point is, that if their is no point to our earthly life other then our impact on others on earth during that earthly life, then what does it matter how you view life as. It wouldn't matter. And I am talking from that point of view.

I view life as precious and beautiful and I also look at the hard parts as trials that I am being tested. Theists believe the hard parts are just hard parts and no reason other then to be hard.

There is a reason I go through a trial and I do my best to survive and overcome cause I know its a test, and I know after living through this life there is the afterlife and since I know the truth that the choices i make will effect my place there. Probably much easier to people to go through this life not knowing any better then to know, but also, if you were to go to a person and say would you like to hear your future, you would say yes, so I guess you can understand why manage.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Re: Those who don't believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be less reasons to kill themselves for those who don't believe in afterlife than for those who do! Am I missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Australia, nuff said.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw i wonder how sitnhit's god would feel that he thinks life is so worthless that without the threat of eternal punishment, he wouldn't even bother living it out.

actually, the fact that sitnhit's life sucks so much that he would kill himself if not for his fear of hell makes me feel better. seriously, it sounds like his life really, really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Alpha,

Boy I hate responding, because whenever I respond to Sitnhit, I get chastised, but here goes anyway.
Sitnhit’s God rarely, indeed almost never, subjects his creations to eternal punishment ( he’s Mormon). Instead nearly everyone is rewarded in the afterlife with varying degrees of happiness ( or heaven ). Sitnhit merely finds it overwhelmingly sad to think that consciousness becomes extinct upon death, and can’t understand how atheists, as he perceives them, can cope with such a sad notion. Sitnhit I believe does believe that suicide is a grievous sin, but however, according to his belief, a person committing suicide will merely ( most likely ) achieve the telestial kingdom ( or the lowest kingdom of heaven ) which is akin to living a life on this earth. Nothing horrible, just a permanent absence from God.

Disclaimer - If I’m wrong about Mormon theology, it’s been a while. Sue me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a good post , and im glad you took it as a discussion then an emotional type post.

Nobody knows what Gods judgements are going to be cause there could of been very traumatic events that led to someones decisions that wouldnt be fair to judge them on.

But most of us make our own decisions knowing what we are doing. So there are some people who kill themselves , knowing its wrong, etc and choose to do it. Not everybody is supposed to be in Heaven, cause there are just some bad souls. But we are getting too deep here. But nice post sir.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of thinking (or lack thereof), always amazes me.

If there is no life after death, then life becomes much more precious. So the question is more easily handed back to you...

If you DO believe in life after death, why not just kill yourself now and get to your final destination? While you're at it, why not kill all your loved ones as well? After all, it's not like you guys are really gonna die, right? You'll live together forever in bliss. So why not go there right now? I mean today! If you really care about the people in your life, and want eternal bliss for yourself and them, you should seriously consider killing yourself and everyone you know. Immediately! Don't wait another second. Why take the chance that a loved one will commit a mortal sin before they die and go to hell? It's your duty to kill them now to make sure they get to heaven. Hurry!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even worth a comment. Except for the mention that its not worth my comment
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This kind of thinking (or lack thereof), always amazes me.

If there is no life after death, then life becomes much more precious. So the question is more easily handed back to you...

If you DO believe in life after death, why not just kill yourself now and get to your final destination? While you're at it, why not kill all your loved ones as well? After all, it's not like you guys are really gonna die, right? You'll live together forever in bliss. So why not go there right now? I mean today! If you really care about the people in your life, and want eternal bliss for yourself and them, you should seriously consider killing yourself and everyone you know. Immediately! Don't wait another second. Why take the chance that a loved one will commit a mortal sin before they die and go to hell? It's your duty to kill them now to make sure they get to heaven. Hurry!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Lestat,

When I was 8 years old and well indoctrinated, I was cursed with a logical mind, a libido, a rebellious attitude, and also a bit of weirdness. I approached a little girl my own age and asked her to skip Sunday school. When I got her outside alone, I asked her if she would like to have sex. When she looked at me with a blank expression, I explained that sex is when we go behind the bushes and I put my pee-pee in your vaginee and pee. She looked at me with such horror that I tried to remedy the situation by explaining that afterwards I could slit her throat and then I would commit suicide, and we could meet in heaven. I actually remember thinking this was a good thing to say. Well she ran away and told her parents, who told my parents, and I received a severe beating, as usual. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you got issues farther then you imagined [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find this interesting and I'm just gonna give my opinion on it. Your an athiest who believes in right and wrong? Has right and wrong been proven? Is there evidence? It's really just what you think, but why would you think that if there is no evidence to support that there is a right and wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
- The idea that all men are equal (or that no one is inherently qualified to judge who is more worthy than another), and
- Our innate mammalian understanding of reciprocity and mutually beneficial social interaction (also seen in dogs, horses, cattle, dolphins, gorillas, and other social animals), and
- The natural human desires for freedom and change,

are sufficient to devise a system of morals, ethics and laws.

[ QUOTE ]
[Right and wrong comes from the Bible, that's how people determined right and wrong, and from that it became common knowledge, so do you know that some of your beliefs of right and wrong come from the writings of man that say God 100% exist? And if you believe them about right and wrong , why not explore the possiblity of the latter?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are very ignorant of history, and the world. Go read the history of non Western civilizations and get back to me when the penny drops.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 AM

Explain why my question to you is any more absurd. If anything, it makes much more sense for you to kill yourself. Those who are enlightened don't believe in fairy tales. To them, life is finite and why wouldn't they want to savor each and every day for as long as they can? You on the other hand, imagine you'll be going to a much more glorious magicland in the sky for the rest of eternity. So why should you care about this insignificant speck of time that you're here on earth?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find this interesting and I'm just gonna give my opinion on it. Your an athiest who believes in right and wrong? Has right and wrong been proven? Is there evidence?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have subjective evidence - some things feel right to me, some feel wrong - just like the bible feels right to you. I certainly dont think there has ever been a "proof" that some act is right, but I dont live my life according to what has been proved.

[ QUOTE ]
It's really just what you think, but why would you think that if there is no evidence to support that there is a right and wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Other people have taught me right and wrong. I've read books about it and I've thought about it (quite a bit, in fact) the fact that violence is wrong seems as obvious to me as newton's laws of motion (for example) - what makes you think there's no evidence?

[ QUOTE ]
Right and wrong comes from the Bible, that's how people determined right and wrong, and from that it became common knowledge,

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes you think this?

[ QUOTE ]
so do you know that some of your beliefs of right and wrong come from the writings of man that say God 100% exist? And if you believe them about right and wrong , why not explore the possiblity of the latter?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've explored the possibility of the latter - it doesnt seem like the best explanation of the world as I find it.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going to get a bit off topic here but just wanted to clear up one thing:

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, most of you use about 5% of ur brain and im just hitting 1%...
:-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are referring to the myth that we only use 10% of our brain. This is false: http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Also, for SitNHit (and others like him) I just wanted to say that I do not believe in a god of any form and I consider myself very moral. Of all of my friends (almost all of which believe in some sort of god) my one atheist friend and myself volunteer in many different ways regularly. We are both very nice people and do not need to rewarded in the afterlife in order to do good. My more religiously-inclined friends make no effort to do anything selfless despite the fact that they believe their eternal soul depends on what they do during this finite lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how everything I say is being fact checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, on this forum we like to say things that are true. Many people that enjoy debate can come off as aggressive, but it is because they often WANT their beliefs to be challenged, so they challenge the beliefs of others. The point is to defend yourself in a logical, consistent, and convincing way. It's likely that you've never been in a debate as intense before, but it can be a very enlightening experience, as long as you remember to not take it as a personal attack against you. The sticky at the top of the forum has a bit to say about this as well. Welcome, and good luck.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely certain that if I believed I had met all the criteria to guarantee eternity in heaven and believed in the proscription against suicide, I would live the most dangerous, hazardous life allowable by scripture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I skydive a little (although it's been a while), and I avoid jumping when the winds are high, when I feel unprepared, etc. If I was 100% certain in a blissful afterlife, I don't see why I would be this careful about anything.