Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Tiger

[ QUOTE ]
Winning the US Open by 15 shots is pretty amazing, don't know what the previous record for a major was.

[/ QUOTE ]
In 2000 Tiger Woods beat a record that stood since 1862. He was the only player to finish under par and that included an uncharacteristic triple or quadruple bogey on the 3rd hole in round three (can't remember which, I was in the grandstands on #8 when the score was posted and a huge gasp went up which gave people the idea that he may be coming back to the field, but it never happened).

Maybe because golf isn't one of the big three sports this hasn't gotten any attention, but it was probably his most dominating performance ever and was the first of the four majors he would win en route to his "Tiger Slam".
Old 02-12-2007, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Most impressive record broken in last 20 years?

[ QUOTE ]
... I don't remember anyone fawning over AC Green.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Cal Ripkin kind of did. It was a late night talk show or something with Green getting his acknowledgement. Ripkin either showed up or called in, and he said Green's record was probably more impressive b/c basketball is more physically taxing--eg, no way you'd play 2 nba games in one day, he said. Maybe he was just being polite, but it's something.

I like the obscure ones. Like Karelin. Here's another that might be kicked out for not being a sport (which I won't object about) but Tjorborn Blomdahl in 3-cushion billiards, blowing away records for high run and average per inning in a competitive match. And he did it against Ceulemanns, as I recall, who himself held a record for holding the world champion title for like 10 or 20 years.

edit: never mind Blomdahl. he's still a top player, but I googled it and apparently his feats have been matched or exceeded by various players since then. and ceulemans doesn't qualify b/c his record *hasn't* been broken.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ripken's record is is impressive in the sense it will stand for a really long time, but it isn't impressive from a skill standpoint. He just got very lucky and often continued to play when he should have sat out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much how I feel about it. I'm suprised everyone is jerking it to that record. It seems like he just got lucky to not have been hurt while at the same time being blessed with a solid and lengthy career.

What would be more impressive to you guys, someone who played 1500 games in a row and then retires, or someone who played 1200 games in a row, then takes one day off and then played another 1200 games in a row? It doesn't seem like his record really matters at all.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be more impressive to you guys, someone who played 1500 games in a row and then retires, or someone who played 1200 games in a row, then takes one day off and then played another 1200 games in a row? It doesn't seem like his record really matters at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of like how Ted Williams hit better than Dimaggio during Dimaggio's streak
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whatever that bike race is

[/ QUOTE ]

Tour de France was too tough for you to remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Captain Obvious it wasn't to tough to remember. It was supposed to be a humorous attempt to point out that despite the greatness of his accomplishment so many people really don't care. Perhaps the reason why it had not even been mentioned up to that point. Now was that so hard to understand?

By the way, your trying to make fun of me when you post almost exactly the same thing as I did on Jamal Lewis 15 minutes after I post it.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A walk is as good as (or sometimes better) than a hit

[/ QUOTE ]

walks are as good as a hit with nobody on base, thats about it. when is a walk better than a hit?

i love baseball stats, and linear weights are cool and all, but is teaching a kid to look for walks a good approach? i mean, maybe a handfull of your 13 yr olds will even play through high school, shouldnt it be keeping it about fun?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 AM

"when is a walk better than a hit?"

when pitcher makes more pitches.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i love baseball stats, and linear weights are cool and all, but is teaching a kid to look for walks a good approach? i mean, maybe a handfull of your 13 yr olds will even play through high school, shouldnt it be keeping it about fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun? Nah. Keep the kid worried about his VORK.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"when is a walk better than a hit?"

when pitcher makes more pitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

patience would be the process, walk would be the result. patient is better than hacking, but walks aren't better than hits.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:25 AM

Easy. Kobayashi. He keeps eclipsing his own record in several events. Recently he eclipsed his record of 69 hamburgers with 97 hamburgers. He completely obliterated it.