Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Worst Dismissals/Firings/Layoffs You\'ve Seen/Experienced

Alright, I was thinking recently about my experience working for family-run companies for a number of years, and I've seen some mighty goofy [censored] in my time.

I'm sure others out there have better stories, but I'll start:

COMPANY 1:

An executive secretary is being replaced, but she doesn't know it. They've already interviewed and selected her replacement.

Her replacement happens to know another manager at the company and mentions to him that she's getting that particular job.

So the current executive secretary finds out they're getting rid of her when this other Manager mentions in passing "oh, I heard you're leaving". Ouch

COMPANY 2:

A front-line employee isn't working out, and has been removed from the schedule and his shifts have all been filled by others.

I'm working and waiting for my relief when his replacement calls out. I send out a page to try and find a replacement, and the guy who's being let go calls asking why I'm paging out his shift.

At this time, I do not know that he's been let go. I tell him that I see his name crossed off his shifts for that week, and other employees had taken his shifts. I tell him I figured he was on vacation.

He says "I wonder if they're getting rid of me?" and I tell him I haven't heard anything about that. So he asks me to contact the HR manager and see what's going on.

So I call her and ask her what's going on, what should I do, I can't find anyone to fill this shift and I'm going to get held over. She tells me to put this guy back on the schedule for the week. I ask her what I should tell him happened and she tells me "tell him it was just a mistake".

So that's what I do. A week later, they can him (after making use of him to cover various shifts). Double ouch.

Alright, YOUR turn, hit me!