Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Weekly movie discussion thread.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a whole thread could be started on Donnie Darko, saw that about a month ago for the first time. I hadn't even heard of the movie because it was going to be released right around 9/11 and they pulled it from most places because it had a scene with an airplane engine falling into a house.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally disagree... I think this movie tried SO hard to be an indie flick / cult classic that anything genuine in the plot or the acting was totally lost.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 PM

Pan's Labyrinth was sheer drivel. I am confounded by the praise foisted on this film.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pursuit Of Happyness

I thought this was a good film. I know it has been labelled "The Pursuit Of An Oscar", but I think Wil Smith plays the role really well... Bearing in mind its based on a true story, and the ending is pretty much a given, I still think its a good film..

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see this movie yet [and I probably will because I like Will Smith] but my father and I had a huge laugh when we saw the trailer.

In CA now, before the regular trailers, there are like 20 minutes of little documentaries. One of them was on the making of this movie and it was SOOO melo-dramatic.

Lines like:

"how much would you sacrafice for the ones you love"

"would you rise to the challenge"

"the story of real love, real responsibility, and real sacrafice"...

COME ON... it's about a guy who got a JOB and took care of his son. Those are thing you are SUPPOSE to do...

what a joke.

that being said, I still probably see it.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Pursuit of Happyness was good in the fulfilling, generic, has-to-have-happy ending American audience vibe.

The Good Shepherd is the best film to come out since Syriana. Essentially flawless.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 PM

This thread could not have come at a better time.

Last week was midterms week, thus I spent a lot of time in front of the computer, trying to study. Except that I have a lot of movies I haven't seen that's in my harddrive, so...
(these are actually seen within the past week, including one today. [I refuse to give rating systems because I see it as a pure enjoyment, even a bad movie. I just separate them into how much I like or dislike it.])

In no particular order (some famous ones don't require introduction so I will void it):
Good Will Hunting: I saw this movie before I moved to America 8 years ago, in Chinese nonetheless. I watched it numerous times on cable but never as a whole movie. I finally got my hands on it and wow it was a freaking awesome movie. You could already see greatness of Damon in the film.

Mystic River: Great movie. Great acting. Definitely an Oscar-worthy film.

Oldboy: A Korean film based on a man who was innocently imprisoned for 15 years and has 5 days to seek revenge. I enjoyed this movie although it might be a little bit too bloody for some. The leading actor does an awesome job in convincing the viewers his hatred and regret.

Pan's Labyrinth: ED and Alobar has said enough.

Last King in Scotland: I had seen Blood Diamond when it first came out, and when i was filling out my "bracket" for Oscar winners I bubbled in Leo's name without hesitation. Boy, was I wrong. Forest Whitaker FTW

Babel: Utterly disappointing. I think the director tried a little bit too hard about making this movie touch people like Crash did, but to no avail. Not Golden Globe or Oscar worthy. I did go into this movie with a VERY high expectation

21 Grams: This movie made me depressed for a minute or two. I liked Charlize Theron at the time she won the Oscar, but I think Naomi Watts was jacked of an Oscar for her performance in this movie. Sean Penn was intense and great as usual.

Saving Private Ryan: Another movie that I never saw as a whole. Definitely up there.

A Beautiful Mind: So many times I have told people that I am a "movie-person" but had never seen A Beautiful Mind. After seeing it I found out how much of a poser I was really, especially being an econ major. (lol.) One of the best films I've seen in my short life.

A lot of these movies are old (within the past 10 years) but I hope my list will make some people go "ah that movie was great maybe I'll watch it again". 06 was a down year for movies and 07 started slow, maybe it is time to go back and watch some good classics. As a matter of fact, I will watch The Godfather for the 9999th time tonight.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:03 AM

A Scanner Darkly: Extremely good. Funny, bizarre, opaque, difficult to understand. By far the closest I have ever seen anyone get to the feel of Philip K. Dick.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 PM

The last movie I saw was Smokin Aces. It's an over-the-top action movie, but fairly entertaining. A fairly decent plot twist at the end. The best part of the movie is Alicia Keys...my god she's beautiful.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see Jersey Girl being anything above a 2.5 on a 1-5 scale.

It's just such a meh movie. It wasn't horrible, it wasn't great. It was just kinda there. Mostly it confirmed for me that Smith's really at his best making dick jokes and should avoid any attempt to be taken seriously or make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me... Jersey Girl is a 5+++ you get to see J.LO die.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG SPOILERS IN WHITE!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Only movie I saw this past week was <u>Little Miss Sunshine</u>. I give it 3 out of 5 stars (using the Netflix rating which means 'I like it').

Overall, I thought it was pretty funny and fairly entertaining, but I was somewhat disappointed. It's primarily because the movie has been so overhyped that I was expecting something spectacular.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Aaron Eckhart has been cast as Harvey/Dent/Two Face in the next Batman picutre