Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey Gossip

[ QUOTE ]
Reply from Marc Goodwin over on Blondepoker

-----------------
Hi all, i have been asked to reply to Kanos thread re golf game in Australia. On the basis that his post begins self-indulgent. semi-successful, boastful etc don't ask me how but i had an idea how his post may go, in poker terms he gave his hand away. If he had read i was the cause of climate control and poverty in the Third World i guess he would of just jumped in and slagged me off. Sorry i digress, but i feel better!! It is difficult to know where to start as he is so factually incorrect: I last saw Eric Sagstrom in Vegas in April 2006 so he never walked off after 9 holes and he may deserve an apology on the basis that "he had no intention of paying" for a game he never attended. (IMO) Kano and others may disagree.

At the start of the game we said to Phil that as we haven't played for 3 months and he must have improved we need to adjust the handicaps. We could not agree and we were doomed to no game until Ram said "does Eric Lingdren still give you 10 shots" to which Phil replied yes!!On that piece of information we had a game. As we always bitch about handicaps throughout the match Phil suggested that we agree to play 18 holes with no adjustment and then adjust for the next series of games. We agreed . I had 7 pars and a birdie back nine( even though i stormed off after 7 holes in a rage) and we lost 8 holes as they were 9 under for the last 7 holes. as anyone who plays golf would know when playing better ball doubles it is very hard to win by 3 or more holes , they finished 14 up lol. We have had the better of Phil in golf games over the last year but our biggest victory was 3 up. We had been spanked but arranged a new revised game later that week. We went out together that night (even though we have severed ties and have all this supposed ill feeling). Later on we met Eric who informed us that he gives Phil NO SHOTS. We therefore felt aggrieved and Ram asked Phil for an apology. As to wether we pay or not will be discussed in Vegas in April when we next meet. Let me put this question to you all. If i had turned up with a pro golfer and Phil said do you get shots off Eric, we said yes 10 . We played and won then he found out should he pay even a penny? If you think that he has been hustled not cheated and its just unlucky then you must be of the opinion that we should pay. In saying that If when we meet and we cant agree we will probably pay and sever ties. To gain an edge yes to win at all costs no thankyou. I will let you all know the outcome this April.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then, there we have it. Nice post.
And regarding the bet after Phil lied about Eric giving him shots - I do not think you should pay, nor should Phil try to collect said debt. I must say I´m a bit surprised. Not at a poker pro lying to get an advantage. But a smart guy like Phil lying about something that´s so easy to confirm if you are so inclined. And when you owe hundreds of thousands of dollars, I would say you´re pretty damn inclined.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:48 AM

if ivey knowingly lied about his handicap, its cheating, not hustling. plain and simple.

i really hope this isnt true, its pretty low, even for a poker player.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reply from Marc Goodwin over on Blondepoker

-----------------
Hi all, i have been asked to reply to Kanos thread re golf game in Australia. On the basis that his post begins self-indulgent. semi-successful, boastful etc don't ask me how but i had an idea how his post may go, in poker terms he gave his hand away. If he had read i was the cause of climate control and poverty in the Third World i guess he would of just jumped in and slagged me off. Sorry i digress, but i feel better!! It is difficult to know where to start as he is so factually incorrect: I last saw Eric Sagstrom in Vegas in April 2006 so he never walked off after 9 holes and he may deserve an apology on the basis that "he had no intention of paying" for a game he never attended. (IMO) Kano and others may disagree.

At the start of the game we said to Phil that as we haven't played for 3 months and he must have improved we need to adjust the handicaps. We could not agree and we were doomed to no game until Ram said "does Eric Lingdren still give you 10 shots" to which Phil replied yes!!On that piece of information we had a game. As we always bitch about handicaps throughout the match Phil suggested that we agree to play 18 holes with no adjustment and then adjust for the next series of games. We agreed . I had 7 pars and a birdie back nine( even though i stormed off after 7 holes in a rage) and we lost 8 holes as they were 9 under for the last 7 holes. as anyone who plays golf would know when playing better ball doubles it is very hard to win by 3 or more holes , they finished 14 up lol. We have had the better of Phil in golf games over the last year but our biggest victory was 3 up. We had been spanked but arranged a new revised game later that week. We went out together that night (even though we have severed ties and have all this supposed ill feeling). Later on we met Eric who informed us that he gives Phil NO SHOTS. We therefore felt aggrieved and Ram asked Phil for an apology. As to wether we pay or not will be discussed in Vegas in April when we next meet. Let me put this question to you all. If i had turned up with a pro golfer and Phil said do you get shots off Eric, we said yes 10 . We played and won then he found out should he pay even a penny? If you think that he has been hustled not cheated and its just unlucky then you must be of the opinion that we should pay. In saying that If when we meet and we cant agree we will probably pay and sever ties. To gain an edge yes to win at all costs no thankyou. I will let you all know the outcome this April.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then, there we have it. Nice post.
And regarding the bet after Phil lied about Eric giving him shots - I do not think you should pay, nor should Phil try to collect said debt. I must say I´m a bit surprised. Not at a poker pro lying to get an advantage. But a smart guy like Phil lying about something that´s so easy to confirm if you are so inclined. And when you owe hundreds of thousands of dollars, I would say you´re pretty damn inclined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess you could argue that if Marc and Ram are going to be betting $50k a hole they better check the handicap with Eric directly rather than relying on Phil. But regardless of what gets agreed in terms of paying the bet this is pretty shady behaviour by Phil (if its as Marc described).
Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM

Is it possible that it was Tiger Woods pretending to be Phil Ivey?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 PM

There should be a rule on 2+2 that all golf hustling posts include limon in some way.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if ivey knowingly lied about his handicap, its cheating, not hustling. plain and simple.

i really hope this isnt true, its pretty low, even for a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. It's not like he has played a round or two and forgot to adjust his handicap. He said he got 10(!) shots of Eric when he gets none. That is [censored] huge, and makes the match pretty musch unwinnable for the other guys.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dissolve to the Bellagio poker room. You are playing heads-up NLHE against Phil Ivey with $450K in front of you. After the river card falls, you've made the second-nut flush. Ivey, first to act, pushes his entire stack into the pot; he's got you covered. You look at Phil and ask, "You don't have the nut flush, do you?" He smiles at you and says, "Nope." You decide to call. Ivey tables the nut flush.

Gasp! Phil Ivey's blatant lie just cost you $450K!

[/ QUOTE ]

A better analogy is some guy walks into Bellagio and asks you to play headsup, but he needs some help as he's a beginner. You agree that he will be dealt three hole cards every hand to your two. Halfway through the match, which you are losing massively, his fake nose and glasses fall off and you realize you are playing Phil Ivey, not some random idiot who just walked in off the street.

I would consider you to have been cheated.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I average about a 90-95 nearly every time I play. Last year I played about 40 rounds of golf, and my score was between 90-95 35 of those times.

But I did have a high score of 99 and a low of 82. Simply put, I had one awesome round, but I am normally very steady.

Ivey could have had that round on that given day. It happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about your 82 is, you surely rolled in some 15 footers, saved a shot out of the sand, chipped in from the fringe, etc., etc. All combined, they equaled 82. You knew it was variance as did your playing partners. That does happen.

For this Ivey thing to be real and the opponents to say "[censored] you" after 6 holes, no way was it variance. It was control over the short game, correct club selection, strikingly well played golf over those holes. They'd been had.

Mis-representing one's handicap in golf is cheating as much as signing a false card. Now if they said, "How many did we give you last time? 10? And you haven't played much since huh? Okay, you can have 10 again." that's a lot different than them saying "What's your number?" and him saying "10". Lying about the amount of time you've played is not cheating, lying about your number is. For $10 it's semantics. For $1M...guess not.

Whatever this is, it's a good tale.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that it was Tiger Woods pretending to be Phil Ivey?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir are way late to the conversation.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Is gambling legal in Australia?