Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 AM

Default Re: have you ever felt so depressed that you want to commit suicide?

[ QUOTE ]
multiple 6 figure

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean.. as opposed to single 6 figures?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, OP has won two hundred thousand dollars in 2 months and he's depressed?

[/ QUOTE ]

blah blah blah

the money is irrelevant, this is about ego and self doubt in a high stress, high pressure environment with little forgiveness for fragility or weakness.

is he really supposed to lose another 500K before you'll justify his fear/performance anxiety?

ps amazing post MC

pps this really belongs in psych forum :P
Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 AM

op I have pretty much lived through what you described several times. I just kinda joke with myself that it wouldnt be fair to my family seeing as a cheap funeral costs more than my br. I think like a lot of other people have said the problem we have is that we are unhealthy physically. Maybe this is because initially we were unhealthy mentally for some reason. Either way, the only way to get back to a stable state of mind is to fix the physical side of things. Eating better is a good first step, it can also be a fun hobby if you teach yourself to cook. Get out of the house, dont order your food in. Take a walk to a restaraunt that you like, bring something to read with you. Go visit some freinds, plane tickets dont really cost [censored] for me, and my br is a small fraction of what you made in two months time.

Most importantly, dont get stuck in that mind set that if you leave the games for any amount of time they will leave you behind. This is a recipe for a huge meltdown. I barely played in october, and I was just visiting a some freinds on the east coast for the past week. I feel [censored] great, I feel rested and ready. I might be a bit rusty, but this is also a chance to take a fresh approach to the game.

Youll be fine as long as youre willing to make some changes.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Boom, the problem is that we're all [censored] DEGENERATE GAMBLERS THAT SHOULD BE IN GA!!!

There, I said it.

That being said, I still [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you guys and expecially [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BBV
Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Nezzar,

There's a lot to be said for a poker player to be playing at a limit where he's comfortable with the variance and adequately bankrolled.

While it may not be the most glamorous and may not yield the largest numbers to play say 25/50, the money is still hand over foot greater then what the outright majority of people stand to make, and if it keeps you sane then it has tremendous added value.

You need to take care of yourself and keep your mind and heart healthy. Your psychology is critical to whether or not you can be a winning player over the long term in poker, especially in strong and very aggressive games like you're playing.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM

you should be depressed, aba 700K a month is still less than aba's record!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:05 PM

no.

but i believe your story has some BS and exaggerations.

for instance, this almost certainly never really happened:

[ QUOTE ]
I got a call from the site I play at. "its not your night? is it?" the man said. They recommended that i would call it a night and stop playing. Do you think i listened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most importantly, dont get stuck in that mind set that if you leave the games for any amount of time they will leave you behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

thx for reminding me
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 PM

Except for the suicide thing this guy sounds really cool. Who is he?

Europe sounds so much better than the US. Who is this guy? Why would anyone ever put 700K at risk playing poker? Why not just pull it out? You made it! You won!

how much more do you want from poker? Start living the good life and forget poker. You did it! You crushed the game and now have the money to live a really simple well-off life of travel, good food, vast experiences and what not. Go do it dude. 700K or whatever you have is much better than garlic bread, the simpsons, and no sunlight.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard all these people walking, talking, going on with their daily lives as i was walking... the sounds were a strange but welcomed noise and i finally got my eyes adjusted and saw all these poeple! amazing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday I went out and walked around campus, first time I'd really been out in a week. It was amazing.