Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Official 2006-2007 College Hockey Thread

Also, in regards to the Pairwise and UNH being ranked 1st.

I'm biased but I think the Gophers are clearly the best team in the country right now. Unfortunately NH and UM's only common opponent is Maine, which beat Minn. and lost to UNH.

Whatever, give us a chance to play UMass or Yale, it would be a joke.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm biased but I think the Gophers are clearly the best team in the country right now. Unfortunately NH and UM's only common opponent is Maine, which beat Minn. and lost to UNH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't worry, you'll still have a 1 seed and still have a fairly easy run to the FF.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM

Michigan update. Other than a craptacular home Saturday 2-1 loss against Northern, the team is 4-1 post-GLI, although against bad teams. Mainly, Sauer has looked very solid. I still don't expect that he'll be able to carry us through the playoffs or tourney, should the team make it (can't believe I have to add that now). But if he keeps this up, he's not the weak link anymore.

Still a bit worried about the D/people taking penalties, but the offense is still solid and with Sauer hopefully developing, we might, just might, have a decent team.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan update. Other than a craptacular home Saturday 2-1 loss against Northern, the team is 4-1 post-GLI, although against bad teams. Mainly, Sauer has looked very solid. I still don't expect that he'll be able to carry us through the playoffs or tourney, should the team make it (can't believe I have to add that now). But if he keeps this up, he's not the weak link anymore.

Still a bit worried about the D/people taking penalties, but the offense is still solid and with Sauer hopefully developing, we might, just might, have a decent team.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys should be fine. Easy schedule the rest of the way, win the ones you're supposed to, lose to MSU and split with OSU and you are still in easy.

Think positive, remember the good times!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Nice sweep by the Wolverines against a terrible Ferris team, 9-4 and 6-2. Jack Johnson with his first career hat trick (5 goals on the weekend). Next 3 should be wins (H/A Western, Bowling Green) before a fairly tough 5-game finale (MSU @ the Joe, @LSSU, LSSU @ the Joe, 2x @ OSU). Notre Dame has the league all but clinched, with 6 of their final 8 against the bottom 3 teams. Michigan should be able to finish a strong 2nd, however. I think if we finish up 6-2 or better we should be in good shape for the CCHA tourney and the more important NCAA's. With the defense/Sauer coming around, and the offense looking smooth as always, this team is beginning to look like it could be competitive in the tourney. OTOH, they're playing horrible teams, so we'll see.

In other news, TJ Hensick is now tied for the NCAA points lead with the Air Force guy. I dunno if he'll win the Hobey, as almost all those points are assists (he has only 12 goals) but he deserves consideration, as he is a remarkable playmaker/passer. In about 30 seconds Friday night on the power play, he set up 3 great scoring chances. We're going to miss him bigtime next year.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 PM

Ok, I feel like I can post here now that the Big Red have FINALLY won in 2007, and with that win, Mike Schafer becomes the winningest coach in school history.

Still a lot of Jekyll & Hyde issues with the team though, especially wrt goaltending and the offense. But as I told to the former team manager who I spoke with on the phone the other day, "In Schafer we Trust." We are alone in 4th now, and I think it is crucial for this young, inexperienced team to get one of the top 4 spots for the ECAC playoffs, meaning only one series, and a home one, to get to Albany.

The neatest thing in the last few weeks has been the semi-official announcement that Cornell and BU will square off on November 24th 2007 from the World's Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden. Given the old time rivalry and huge alumni bases from both schools, this should be awesome. I'm already looking forward to it!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Saint Cloud State University, and the National Hockey Center.

17-5-4, CC, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and UND coming up. 5 of the 8 games at home. You want noise? You want to hear some "sieve?"

The only good Gopher...is a dead Gopher.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much of a joke as when you played Holy Cross? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much of a joke as when you played Holy Cross? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or when we got swept at home by UND for the first time since 1980?(when our best players were busy performing some Miracles).

Last weekend was quite depressing. I went to the game on Friday with my brother. We came out in the first period like a team possessed, Mariucci was as loud as I've ever heard it, but after a nice 2-1 rush by UND at the end of the first the score was only 2-1 Gophers.

In the second it didn't even look like we were trying, our d-zone play was horrendous, 3 goals scored by untouched Sioux players on loose puck rebounds. We outplay UND in the 3rd but don't generate any real scoring chances even with 3 power plays, yuck.

Saturday our power play connects 3 times early, again looks like we are in control. Then Frazee lets in a 180 foot goal, yes that is nearly the entire length of the ice. Again, turns into a UND rout.

Lucia made some changes to the forward lines, but short of bringing Tyler Hirsch back I don't see what he can really do.

The line of Toews-Duncan-Oshie completely dominated us. Hats off to ND, 8-1-1 in their last 10, they look like a contender now.

Apparently Toews and Oshie aren't very good at celebrating however. http://www.uscho.com/news/id,13607/UNDPlayersCitedInTavern.html
Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 AM

Love the fans at Saint Cloud. Kick some CC butt next weekend.