Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

Bonham is far and away my favorite. I know little about drumming but from those clips, Peart looks noticeably cleaner than Bonham. But I think Bonham brought a lot more to the table. Also, I think Bonham is better at changing gears. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll go Bonham.

AND...I'd like to nominate LZ IV as the album with the greatest display of rock drumming eva!!!

Is there a better album? I'd like to hear some nominations for that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonham is far and away my favorite. I know little about drumming but from those clips, Peart looks noticeably cleaner than Bonham. But I think Bonham brought a lot more to the table. Also, I think Bonham is better at changing gears. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll go Bonham.

AND...I'd like to nominate LZ IV as the album with the greatest display of rock drumming eva!!!

Is there a better album? I'd like to hear some nominations for that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LZ IV is not even the best Led Zepplin album
Old 10-11-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gold. Honestly, I think of Animal every time I think drummer. And Neil Peart (only because I had an ex that was obsessed w/ him)
Old 10-11-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In all likelihood, though, the best drummer of all time is someone we've never heard of. Studio guys whose names you'd never know float around LA, London, Nashville, New York, Tokyo...

I've worked with such drummers...they're a site to behold, they make boatloads of money, they can play any style and play it at a world-class level instantly and consistently, nobody knows their names, and they don't give a crap. I have no idea who the best of the best in that realm is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you include Vinnie Colaiuta in that list. He's a session drummer who plays country, jazz, pop, rock. His discography is huge (http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/discography.aspx).

I was shocked that he played drums for Megadeth's last album, and sounded like a metal drummer. (In contrast, Grohl's "metal" album (Probot), he sounds nothing like a metal drummer.)

Here's a Youtube video of him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FDjflcDnCA

More videos:
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers..._Colaiuta.html

PS, Moon is a laughable choice. He didn't even know how to use a hi-hat. Go to http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/moon.htm for a more objective view of Moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vinnie is definitely on the list of great players in the world. I lose all perspective on who is well-known publicly. I mean, the guy plays for Sting, I figure some people know him. But he's definitely one of "those guys" that a producer can call in a bind to come save an album that's about to go horribly wrong.....if he has the money to spare for Vinnie's time.

Incredible player, though. Some of these drummers for very popular bands (and some of them great BANDS) do not belong on the same list with a guy like Vinnie.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM

If you need a drum kit that's bigger than a SUV maybe you're compensating for having a small penis?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 PM

overall, i would pick connie kay. philly joe if you want it soulful and bluesy, max roach if you want the drummer to flat-out drive the group..................b
Old 10-11-2006, 06:32 PM

oh and this is clearly the best drum duet ever, no question...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eDU-ZyBQRnQ
Old 10-11-2006, 06:49 PM

I've always liked this Buddy Rich/Jerry Lewis drum duet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X_giGBLeEiA
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LZ IV is not even the best Led Zepplin album

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the album with the "greatest display of rock drumming", which is what I originally said and meant.

IMO, III is their best album. But I don't think there is a rock album with better drumwork than LZ IV.

So, again I ask...what do you think is the rock album with the greatest display of drumwork???
Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Mostly for the hair and beard