Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: WSOP 2005-- a dealers perspective

After tipping a dollar on a nice sized pot in the 80-160 game, the dealer gave my buddy a pretty nasty look. My buddy stood up and said, "the next tip you get out of me, is the tip of my dick"

I can't stand dealers that don't say "Thank you" after you throw them some cash. If you can't say a simple thanks, then I can't tip you.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

[ QUOTE ]
After tipping a dollar on a nice sized pot in the 80-160 game, the dealer gave my buddy a pretty nasty look. My buddy stood up and said, "the next tip you get out of me, is the tip of my dick"

I can't stand dealers that don't say "Thank you" after you throw them some cash. If you can't say a simple thanks, then I can't tip you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have very few policies when it comes to dealer tipping, I do it automatically and see it as part of the rake. If you have a really bad atitude or really screw me over I'll stop. Also if you don't say thank you I'll stop.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is an ugly trend, and I lose all respect for those "top pros" when they abuse dealers as is apparently customary at this point. The biggest reason for this problem is that the floormen are spineless when it comes to disciplining well-known players like DevilFish Ulliot. The lack of tipping in those games is bad, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Devilfish doesn't tip at all? ever?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cash games during the WSOP were horrible to deal. The high stakes players were brutal to deal to. I personally dealt the biggest limit games, and did far worse dealing those than dealing 4/8 or 1/2. Nothing like pushing a 15K pot to a pro, and getting an AIRBALL for a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right. I know of a dealer who recent quit the bellagio for the same reason - the pros and high limit players are JERKS and STIFFS and it wasn't worth the effort, or the abuse. More money is available, with FAR less headache, dealing the small limit games all over town....

[ QUOTE ]
Divided among almost 400 dealers, it worked out to a little over 2000.00 for the 8 days of the main event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, even hardly trying, I can often times make $2000 in eight days WITHOUT dealing the WSOP. If I don't break $2000, I won't be very far off, even on slow weeks, with poor tips. Sometimes I'll make more.

[ QUOTE ]
I just dont think it was unreasonable to think that winners would leave 1-3% of their winnings for the staff. Even 1% from everyone would have been great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellew. I don't think that 2% of the total prize pool, divided as it was, was enough to justify everyone NOT tipping after they won fantastically large sums of money. It's REASONABLE to toss in a small % of your win after you cash in such a large event. 1% would be FANTASTIC if everyone did so....

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, just take care of the good dealers. We truly appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the motion.

al
Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hachem not tipping is pretty lame

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a tremendous talent for vast understatment.

al
Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if it's not profitable for the dealers, the smartest thing they can do is just not go next year

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I doubt that "not profitable" is the correct term. However, based on what I've read, and what I've discussed with various dealers I know who dealt the WSOP this year, I probably won't rush to sign up to deal it next year.

Would I bitch about $30-$40 an hour? No. But heck, it's pie to make nearly that anyway, without even trying, just dealing the small limit games here in town. So why bother with all the prima-donnas, high limit jerkoffs, and other such bullpucky at the WSOP for just a couple extra bucks?

al
Old 08-22-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep it up, guys, next year Harrahs will hire dealers at $10/hr, flat rate, no tipping allowed, and keep the mandatory fees themselves, or drop them altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

Felicia, you're my friend, and I luv ya, but I gotta say you're sounding a little crazy on this one...

NO ONE in their right mind would TOUCH the WSOP for anything less than $20 an hour, and that would just be the bums from the corner of flamingo and I-15...

Now we can "haggle" some on the "terminology" if you like, but consider this...

[ QUOTE ]
He [F's husband] makes about $30 per hour, on average

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so why should your husband go all the way to vegas, take nothing but crap from high limit prima donna jerkoffs, and pay his own housing the whole time, when he can make $30 an hour without leaving his home town?

The WSOP is an extraordinary event, requiring extraordinary services, and requiring extra-ordinary pay scales for those involved. Since the winners are getting extraordinarily large payouts, it wouldn't hurt them to toss in a few bux at the end. After all, you tip FAR more than that % wise in a restaurant, why would it hurt you to throw in an extra one percent in a tournament? It wouldn't, unless you're a cheepskate be-atch.

And for all the bullchit we have to put up with on a daily basis, if we wanna bitch about getting "stiffed," well, that's our little indulgence!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: OT: percentage difference versus gross amount

[ QUOTE ]
If I'd won, I would probably want to tip just the dealers as the floorpeople and Harrah's already seem sufficiently compensated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I just add in a HELLEW here. This is very common in the poker world when it comes to distribution of dealer funds and tokes, even in certain places where the floorpeople otherwise don't make nearly as much as the dealers. What's fair is fair, and often times the tokes that the dealers make get diluted significantly by floors who have little or nothing to do with the work that took place to bring the tournament to the players. Although I've been on both sides of this situation, I must side with the dealers on this one. Dealer tokes should be dealer tokes.

al
Old 08-22-2005, 02:10 AM

If you guys decide not to go next year you will be replaced by people more than happy to get 30 to 40 dollars an hour. Dealing can be stressful, but it's a walk in the park compared to what a lot of people have to do for less than 10 an hour. Don't forget that.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you guys decide not to go next year you will be replaced by people more than happy to get 30 to 40 dollars an hour. Dealing can be stressful, but it's a walk in the park compared to what a lot of people have to do for less than 10 an hour. Don't forget that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on.

Try working in the steel factory or on an auto assembly line day in and day out. For less money I might add. And a job that's about a thousand times more hellish.

Dealers have such a soft and easy life, it's a joke.

But they take it for granted because they probably never had to live in a blue collar [censored] hole like Detroit.
The factory worker that breaks his friggin back day in and day out and never asks anyone for anything because he's proud. The single Mother working two waitress jobs just so her kids can eat, never once complaining about the lack of tips or thinking she deserves more.

I hate dealers!

Elitist Pigs!

Burn in hell!!!
Closed Thread