Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Would you save 10 million people?

[ QUOTE ]
I think your conceptions of spirituality are going to make a big difference here. For some people, death doesn't really even seem like that big a deal, which makes it easier to throw your life away on a lark. For others, their life is all they really conceive of having, so it's difficult to imagine any circumstances under which it would be worth giving it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no thoughts on the afterlife, I personally doubt anything really exists. I just think that if I could save 10 million people (not even a blip??! It's 10 million people!) I would do it. Yes, maybe one of them could be the next Hitler. Maybe one of them cures cancer. Maybe all of them live meaningless mundane lives and contribute nothing. But it's a lot of people for me to say that I wouldnt give my life. If just one of them...made a difference in someone else's life, or just really really enjoys their own...it would be well worth it.

I mean, to each their own. I wouldnt say to those who say No and No that they are horrible people etc... it is their choice. But I personally would do it. Maybe they go by the mentality of "I dont know them, I cant see them so it doesnt matter" but I would like to see if they changed their mind if those people were in front of them (even on a way smaller scale) if they saw their faces, would they do the same thing? It's like the rich [censored] on the life boats of the Titanic that wouldnt let more people on. Just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for those that think its wrong not to give up your life for strangers, even ten million. you have to ask yourself would the world be better off with ten million less. if so then you are really doing a disservice to the rest of the world.
then ask if helping others live is worth so much why wouldnt you give all your money to charities that save lives. arent you being selfish by keeping money when surely it would save many lives.
i am not refering to -personally killing them to save yourself but to not acting to save them saves yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh! Conservationist / steward angle, good new one.

AH'M CRAY ZEE ABOUT RAY ZEE
Old 09-17-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not really. There is very little difference between refusing to give your life to save others and taking others' lives to save yourself.

If you would not give your life to save 10 million others because you care so much about yourself, if you could easily and quickly murder 10 million others to find the cure to your terminal illness, surely you would do so right?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, of course not.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:32 PM

Being raised in a buddhist family, I would give up my life to save others. Those 10 million people have their family too. I probably put 20 people into grief. Those ten million people will be missed by their friends and family as well. I think it is one of the best deeds u can do. Giving up ur life to save 10 million other people. I think my family would be proud and i can put happiness in 10 million other people plus their families
Old 09-17-2006, 11:53 PM

Look, I don't know if I do this for 20, 50, even 100. But this is nowhere near that tiny, tiny range. This is 10 million goddamn people. And Prisoner's Dilemma certainly applies here, because even though, right now, it is you who are being put in this position, the fact that it is you is probably completely random here (theoretically).

Simply put, I can't imagine how screwed we would be if people didn't choose to die here.

And what range do you guys choose to die? Because somewhere between the 100 million and 1 billion range, there becomes a very high chance that someone you care about will die.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:56 PM

even if i went down in history as the best person ever i wouldnt do it.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And what range do you guys choose to die? Because somewhere between the 100 million and 1 billion range, there becomes a very high chance that someone you care about will die.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.. i thought about it some earlier.. 300 million sounds about right.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.. i thought about it some earlier.. 300 million sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 of 20 people you know would die
Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 AM

i can do math

i know a lot of people
Old 09-18-2006, 12:28 AM

[quote
Amazingly enough I don't base all my actions on what's in it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Do you chip dump to total fish when you're playing cards then just because you know they're losing players and can use that money a lot more than you can?