Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Re: A few ways to improve the NFL.....

[ QUOTE ]
I like your first suggestion with one change: teams bid on kickoff position.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with this is that they can already kick touchbacks as it is, so moving the kickoff up to the 40 or 50 won't do much.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:23 PM

One other format that I think is okay. Just extend the fourth quarter until someone scores. So if the last play of regulation is 2nd and 8 on the teams own 40, and the team gains 5 yards, the first play of overtime would be 3rd and 3 on their own 45.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with this is that they can already kick touchbacks as it is, so moving the kickoff up to the 40 or 50 won't do much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what happens. Home team sets a kickoff yardage, away team decides who kicks off. Fair?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what happens. Home team sets a kickoff yardage, away team decides who kicks off. Fair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of, I think that no matter what the kickoff yardage the recieving team has the advantage. However, if there were no kickoff, determining the starting line of scrimage with this method would be toatlly fair. I understand the asthetic appeal of starting with a kickoff, and if it could be done fairly, I would favor it, but I don't think any sudden death format can fairly start with a kickoff.

Despite its unappealing asthetics, I don't think eliminating the kickoff is a big deal. If kickoff are that important, then I think a non-sudden death overtime period of a set length (divided into two halves) is nessessary.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get rid of the salary cap.

[/ QUOTE ]worst suggestion in the thread easily. And I'm a Skins fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:49 AM

heres my idea:
each week, have a lottery. the winner gets to submit a set of rules the nfl will follow for that week. the next week, some other genius who thinks he knows what would fix the unbroken game gets to make the rules.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 AM

Make pass interferance plays reviewable. No way should one ref be able to give 20/30/40+ yard penalty and the play not be reviewable.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:50 AM

Overtime:

I hate the idea of eliminating overtime -- it's the most exciting part of any game.

However, I would like to change it. My favorite change would be for teams to bid on starting field position (not kickoff position). I would love to see dumb teams get overconfident and take possession on their own 12, or smart teams giving possession at the 16.

That's a pipe dream, though. It's much too radical ever to be implemented. A much more conservative change would be to revert to the old kickoff rules for overtime. Back in the day, when they kicked off from the 35 and used more kicker-friendly tees, overtime was almost exactly 50-50 between the kicking team and the receiving team (kicking team actually had a very small advantage). Since they moved it back to the 30 and and changed the tees, the receiving team has had a big advantage (about 60-40, IIRC).

Replay:

I used to be a fan of replay, but no more. There are too many stoppages as it is, and if a few close calls go the wrong the way I don't think it's a big deal -- it'll even out in the long run. Besides, having replay doesn't seem to make people happier with the officiating, since now they're even more upset when they don't like a ruling.

If they wanted to abolish replay but bring it back for the postseason, I would be ok with that. It would be pretty hard for the bad calls to even out if one of them costs you a trip to the Super Bowl.

Assuming that replay is here to stay, however, they have to go back to having a replay official. As youtalkfunny pointed out, the current system takes much longer than it has too. Also, going to the booth would be even quicker than it was back in the 80's -- back then, they were working with video that had to be rewound over and over. With the current all-digital setup, they could blow threw every angle in no time.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make pass interferance plays reviewable. No way should one ref be able to give 20/30/40+ yard penalty and the play not be reviewable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better than this - make pass interference a set penalty. Instead of "Where the foul occurred", make it 10 or 15 yards. That makes it far more fair, IMO.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
heres my idea:
each week, have a lottery. the winner gets to submit a set of rules the nfl will follow for that week. the next week, some other genius who thinks he knows what would fix the unbroken game gets to make the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sould like a soccer fan. i.e. This game is perfect, so shut up.