Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: The Well: El Diablo

Do you work on optimal frequencies away from the table? (as outlined in the chapter "Game Theory and Bluffing" in TOP).
Old 08-17-2006, 10:18 AM

ELD,

Financial/economic literature you read frequently?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:31 AM

ELd:
A lot of your advice appears to be: tighten up...specifically if you are LAGing around and getting picked off for a while and the table thinks you are a loser.
Do you mean, play fewer hands, or just play more straightforwardly? I mean, should I just limp 89s or A5s on the BTN or in the CO with two or three limpers, or just go ahead and raise like normal? Should I stop calling raises in pos. with speculative hands since I'll have to flop a monster to make them work? Or is this an advantage of my image? If the answer is: "it depends on the table"...what do specific kinds of tables require in this situation?

It seems like you got serious about poker a bit later in life. As an almost 30 yr old, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage to the younger players (18-19) who got started on the internet. Is this true or just self-deprecation?

Speaking of which, how important do you think ego is in poker? I find myself degrading my plays and abilities a lot...is this helpful to my development, harmful, or both?

Going back to the advantages of being a young guy...I may find myself without a job or any responsibilities in a few months, and with a small nest egg...Is going pro at my age more reckless than a younger man doing so, or at about the same level of hubris?

Finally, related to that, is the pokerboom in danger of busting because of A. government interference, B. Any other reason?

Thanks a lot for your hard work on these forums,

--GA
Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There are a couple of threads in HSNL that have links to some of my more detailed posts there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have a link to some of these? Any hints on what to search for?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM

Why do you play, and advise people to play, tag when it seems like most of the successful young players now live and online play very laggy? Personal preference, or do you believe it to be better?

Who was the first to start responding to your posts with "masked man,"?

Why do you like the foreman so much? Most people i know who like and know good food hate it.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:41 AM

El D,

Thanks for doing this.

1) Can you give some examples of ways in which smart SSNL players don't really seem to understand the game?

2) Have you looked at any of the posts in the SSNL Master Sticky thread? Can you give your thoughts on any of them?

3) Do you have any good examples of putting people on an exact hand that you can share, maybe from memory, maybe from a PM? Preferably, ones where you were helping someone and they had an "AHA" moment.

4) Have you ever read anything on here and said "wow, that's super insightful. I'm surprised that the poster didn't hold it back?" If so, what was it?

5) I've seen you say that you'll answer just about anything poker-related on these boards. What sorts of things won't you discuss (frequencies? player specific actions?)? How important do you think those things are, and how would you suggest that other players go about figuring them out?

6) You said "I think varying lines and being fluid with your frequencies are the most critical things in the big games" in an earlier post. Can you give some general thoughts and some general trends that are both obvious and non-obvious as well as an example or two?

7) Have you been to The French Laundry yet?

8) If you were aging a barrel of scotch for 21 years, what kind of wood would you age it in (you can limit this to a specific type of scotch)?

9) If I want to get better at poker, what sorts of questions should I be asking you that I probably won't ask?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM

ty El D for doing this

1. How do you feel about short-stacking?

2. How do you feel about ratholers?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:34 PM

El D,

Do you think it's important for a poker player to be well-rounded? Or for a more basic question, if I've only played No Limit my entire poker career, should I consider learning limit?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 PM

GA,

[ QUOTE ]

I may find myself without a job or any responsibilities in a few months, and with a small nest egg...Is going pro at my age more reckless than a younger man doing so, or at about the same level of hubris?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I did. Age doesn't have anything to do with it, it's more your financial liabilities. I wouldn't do it with a wife & kids or a big house payment. There are a lot of advantages to being young (stamina, energy, mental freshness), but also advantages to being older (discipline, finance management, patience).
Old 08-17-2006, 02:00 PM

El D - do you ever vary your preflop bet sizes? If so, explain please.

Also, whats the best way to get max value from AK after 3 betting preflop in position on Axx flop? What about KK/QQ here, and if you cbet, do you give up on the turn if they call flop?

Thanks, good well so far!