Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: a 101 man onslaught

Assani,

He may be merely a Lemieux disciple, but he also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. This probably explains his astute observation about the use of a self-perpetuating pi string.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, but exactly how great of an oversight was this? Can we even quantify it? Would it have been successful? These are things that we can't say for certain, but to be sure, groupings could be made for improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my modifications have proven to be very successful, and while I might agree that it wasn't a HUGE oversight, you must realize that when we are talking about one of the greatest works of all time any mistake must be discussed and tried to improve upon. With my changes, I don't think I've sacrificed anything, yet I clearly think I've shored this area up.

[ QUOTE ]
Can we not? And what about the possibilities of a rogue mod? A rogue mod could actually serve as a clever decoy for the recon group of 44s that you mention later. A clever ruse for certain, and it just might work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point. I have heard this from quite a few people. At first I dimissed it as simply a wild theory, but I'll look into implementing it. Or if you wish to have the honors, feel free to do it yourself. I must say that I'm interested in at least seeing how it turns out, although I still am extremely skeptical.

[ QUOTE ]
You sheltered your mod 8, so balls to the wall with #44, right? I mean, there's no reason not to. Any counter attack is going to be squarly centered around the mod, which is nicely protected by 9s here, so let's send the 44 out into the field for a left flank.

In theory, this works. In practice? Well... it goes back to my whole rogue mod theory. Frees up the 9s for an ambush. Send the mod out as a decoy, ambush with the 9s, and bring the 44s to the rear to knack the retreat. I don't know. I don't have a ton of experience with 101 man onslaughts, but this makes sense to me. I'm not saying your plan is *bad*, just that I'm not sold that it's *ideal*.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're somewhat on the right track, but you're still missing something. I really don't want to just give the answer away particularly to those who havn't yet thought about it, as I view this as a great learning exercise. If you really want the full answer, shoot me an email, but you do have some good ideas, so I'd suggest continuing trying to work it out on your own.

Good post man....always appriciate the feedback.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Simple explanation of my work: Mayshaque never took Borak's Retaliation into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, but exactly how great of an oversight was this? Can we even quantify it? Would it have been successful? These are things that we can't say for certain, but to be sure, groupings could be made for improvement.

[ QUOTE ]
In depth explanation: The 8 is a simplified mod in this attack. I shored up the mod 8 by including a 9 group surrounding it. The reason that 8, as a simplified mod(or any mod for that matter) needs such protection is because when you're going to move to a full out recon in the end, then you can't have a defeated mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we not? And what about the possibilities of a rogue mod? A rogue mod could actually serve as a clever decoy for the recon group of 44s that you mention later. A clever ruse for certain, and it just might work.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Mayshaque was just wrong in thinking that he could group together 4 semi fullrites without some minor backlash from Borak's Retaliation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more here.

[ QUOTE ]
The only other move of note is my dealings with #44. I'll actually play a little game with you all here(this will be a nice little quiz for many of you beginners): Can you tell why I adjusted #44 in the way I did?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sheltered your mod 8, so balls to the wall with #44, right? I mean, there's no reason not to. Any counter attack is going to be squarly centered around the mod, which is nicely protected by 9s here, so let's send the 44 out into the field for a left flank.

In theory, this works. In practice? Well... it goes back to my whole rogue mod theory. Frees up the 9s for an ambush. Send the mod out as a decoy, ambush with the 9s, and bring the 44s to the rear to knack the retreat. I don't know. I don't have a ton of experience with 101 man onslaughts, but this makes sense to me. I'm not saying your plan is *bad*, just that I'm not sold that it's *ideal*.

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually know what he's talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all genius, except I don't actually understand his use of a rogue mod. I didn't think people were actually still using rogue mods, and frankly I never understood why they came back into vogue at all.

for me, the use of a self-perpetuating pi string is much more effective because it is:

a) more effective against the Scaliachi defense

and

b) more versatile in defending against the "new style" of Eastern European attackers.

but I'm certainly open to discussion on the above points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there has been a large backlash against the rogue in recent years. I dunno...maybe I'm just old school, but this "new European style" just seems reckless to me and I don't really view it as a legitimate threat.

I will grant you that about Scaliachi's defense, but at the same time I think that our goal is to organize the best possible all around onslaught and eliminating the rogue will leave us far more vulnerable in other areas. This is a decent point though- I will concede that.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Touche.

BUT - Who said anything about the Scaliachi defense? I thought Klarkston gave a well thought out proof in his early 70s writings that we could be reasonably sure Borak's retaliation would not be Scaliachi in nature.

Now, I will agree that a self-perpetuating pi string would make much more sense than a rogue mod if the opposite were the case. However, here I thought the rogue mod would be a well disguised move.

Consider an exposed rogue mod, and free up the 9s.

9 9 9

9 9

12 21 22 9
11 13 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 9

9 14

(Later)

46 45
47 47 48 49 50 51

55 54 44

(Notice the new placement of the 44.)

Well, food for thought if nothing else.

Perhaps the real answer lies in some combination of the 2 formations. A self-perpatuating pi string with a rogue in the rear. Hell, use 2 mods if you have to. The 44 placement will need some tweaking of course, but it seems feasible.

Now we are getting somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to reply too hastily here, so let me look this over for a few days and consider it. Looks to be quality work though. I'd be interested in hearing Kneel B4 Zod's reply first as well to see both sides of the argument.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:13 PM

Doesn't this entire strategy fall apart if Villian is willing to do a river sexy?

Ray
Old 07-17-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

He may be merely a Lemieux disciple, but he also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. This probably explains his astute observation about the use of a self-perpetuating pi string.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 PM

Considering Occam's razor, this is correct.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't this entire strategy fall apart if Villian is willing to do a river sexy?

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I'm familiar with a "river sexy." Is that one of the newer North American slang onslaught terms? I havn't entered any live onslaught tournaments in so long that I feel a bit out of touch sometimes.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 8

23 42

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiddie games are down the fkin street.

Seriously, no way this would work. 2 words. Linear array.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4 8

23 42

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiddie games are down the fkin street.

Seriously, no way this would work. 2 words. Linear array.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would this not work? This is directly from Mayshaque's first attack.
Closed Thread