Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Whose cap does Piazza wear in the HOF?

[ QUOTE ]
A fairly strong case can be made for both the Dodgers and the Mets, wonder what everyone's thoughts are.

Roberto Alomar? O's, Indians, or Jays?

Maddux? Braves or Cubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Piazza isn't going to be in the hall of fame, so this is a pretty moot conversation.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Piazza, I think LA
I think Alomar, I think Cleveland
I think Maddux, I think Atlanta

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite late to this conversation, but ITA w/these three choices.

Mad-Ducks w/the Braves is easy.

Alomar I primarily remember as an Indian because while he was a part of those WS teams in Toronto, he seemed to be in the background to Joe Carter and others, whereas with Cleveland they had a dominating few years in which I viewed him as the veteran leader, shepherding such young talents as Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez.

As for Piazza, to me it's LA and not close. Maybe it's a coastal thing. I'm not a Dodgers fan by any means and I'm mostly a 30K foot baseball fan, but his years in LA seemed totally dominant for a catcher, whereas it appeared half his time in NY revolved around "should we move him to 1B?" Someone else upthread posted evidence to his Dodger stats being far superior. Good enough for me, I just can't imagine his career being defined by his time with the Mets.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some more to consider:

Pudge Rodriguez- Rangers, Marlins, (maybe) Tigers? He had his best years as a Ranger, but he won his title as a Marlin...

Randy Johnson

ARod

Tejada (if he were to make it)

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's "assume" [air quotes like "laser"] for the sake of the conversation they all make it, and we're going off of accomplishments TO DATE.

Pudge - Rangers...too many years of service w/them to give him a Marlins cap just cuz of the title

Homosexual_Rod - Yankees at present pace. LOL at the Rangers guy, he must have been joking. I hate to project but he's young enough to do so, the bright lights plus the big stats, I have a hard time seeing him in a Mariners cap.

Tejada - as of today, A's.

Randy Johnson - there's the tough one. Obv Yankees are out. So do you go D'Backs or Mariners? I live in Phoenix and would love to see him wearing our colors, but he wasn't here that long, did win a couple (?) Cy Youngs - and was TOTALLY JOBBED out of the one in '04. That said, he carved his career niche in Seattle and I would think he should go down in the Hall as a Mariner.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alomar I primarily remember as an Indian because while he was a part of those WS teams in Toronto, he seemed to be in the background to Joe Carter and others, whereas with Cleveland they had a dominating few years in which I viewed him as the veteran leader, shepherding such young talents as Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your memory isn't very good when it comes to Alomar.

First, he was far more important to the Jays title teams than Joe Carter was. Carter's walk off in the WS and his 100 RBI seasons fool a lot of people into thinking he was more valuable than he really was.

Second, He arrived at the tail end of the Indians run. He only played there for three years, they lost in the ALDS 2 of those years and missed the playoffs in the other. You can also toss out your veteran leadership concept, considering Manny was 27 and Thome 28 when Alomar got there.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:59 PM

lol, couple. Randy won 4 Cy Youngs as a D'Back.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:24 PM

TheNoodleMan, thanks for the clarification (seriously). As a "fan" I remember Alomar as an injun first a foremost (not close) and apparently discount his work with TOR.

JoA, didn't know it was four and I live here. That said, you and Dynasty should start a Kobayashi-esque contest involving how many posts/threads you can correct in a ten minute stretch, since the majority of both of your posts seems to involve informing others of how wrong they are...
Old 08-12-2006, 02:16 PM

I just dont see any way Piazza goes in as LA. It may be cuse im in NY, but he did have 4 years in NY that do compare to his time in LA, and he was a part of some winning teams including the WS team. Did the Dodgers go to the playoffs with him?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:30 PM

Remember when the Jays had Rickey Henderson, Alomar, and Molitor at the top of their lineup? That was impressive.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did the Dodgers go to the playoffs with him?

[/ QUOTE ]
twice
Old 08-12-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A fairly strong case can be made for both the Dodgers and the Mets, wonder what everyone's thoughts are.

Roberto Alomar? O's, Indians, or Jays?

Maddux? Braves or Cubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Piazza isn't going to be in the hall of fame, so this is a pretty moot conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf