Great Idea! wooh whooo! 22 35.48%
Good idea 18 29.03%
no opinion / don't care / neutral opinion 19 30.65%
Bad Idea Jeans 3 4.84%
horrible, stinky, icky idea. blech. 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: STTF [censored] thread December 1st (NSFW)

wiggs,

werent you considering quitting / looking for a new job?

btw how old are you?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:28 PM

i was. i still am. it's a long story.

i'm 23.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:36 PM

stars just added $35 turbos. I was kinda hoping for something closer to $45 when we asked for a level in between 27s and 60s. w/e better than nothing.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just told my dad i was gonna be a pro poker player next year... what he said wouldn't have affected my decision, but he was completely okay with the idea, which is very very surprising, and makes things a little more pleasant for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 6 figure win seems to help greatly in this regard (from everything I've heard about parents).

[/ QUOTE ]

i honestly think he was mad that i won that... not like in a direct way, but in a "this is just perpetuating a horrible hobby that will result in you going broke and addicted to heroin and raping children".

i try and tell him i have never once deposited money online (yay for bugsy points to robusto), but for a really smart dude he is incredibly irrational.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I know what you mean. My parents are completely ok with it and understand. My Dad even went as far as to say he wishes he could do what I'm doing. My girlfriend, however, just doesn't have a damn clue. She's had a discussion with me at least 2-3 times now about how she just doesn't want me to get addicted. or, what if you start losing? ROFL. Are you f'n serious? I made a $50 deposit online and that's it. All other deposits have been from winnings and were just to get a deposit bonus. I also have a large sample size. You don't just go from crushing your games one day to losing the next. It's frustrating when she brings up such nonsense. When she told some of her friends what my job is they said they don't know why she stays with me. Get real. I make more $ than almost all college students, I do something I love, I have all the freedom in the world, I made a nice charity donation to a cancer patient this year, & I plan on making many more in the future. Dump my ass. I'm just a gambling addict with no direction in life!

LOL DIE!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM

what about selling play monies for real monies and starting your roll from there boo ya!!!

i used to be a degenerate gambler though so i cant really get mad at my parents/friends when they ask, "BUT WHAT IF YOU LOSE?!?!?" even though im such a bankroll nit now.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just told my dad i was gonna be a pro poker player next year... what he said wouldn't have affected my decision, but he was completely okay with the idea, which is very very surprising, and makes things a little more pleasant for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 6 figure win seems to help greatly in this regard (from everything I've heard about parents).

[/ QUOTE ]

i honestly think he was mad that i won that... not like in a direct way, but in a "this is just perpetuating a horrible hobby that will result in you going broke and addicted to heroin and raping children".

i try and tell him i have never once deposited money online (yay for bugsy points to robusto), but for a really smart dude he is incredibly irrational.

[/ QUOTE ]

From his point of view, for you, the almost sure thing of being reasonably successful in a real job is better than whatever mixture of chance of being very rich, somewhat successful, or broke and living at home when you're 35, you get out of poker.

He wants you to get a steady job, a nice wife, and make with the grandchildren.

Also, there are lots of ways to make lots of money. Some of them besides poker might take 10 years of work or something, and 10 years seems a lot different to you than it does to him.

- Old guy

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh obviously i totally understand where hes coming from, as I'm sure you'd understand there's a lot more to this than just the blurb above. It just bothers me that he thinks I'm just some retard throwing money around... I'm going to graduate from the best business school in Canada in the top 20% of my class with a quarter of a million dollars... having him say 'good job' at some point would be nice.

I totally understand what you're saying though and I'm sure those are some of the things that he's thinking, but to get into all of this would take a long time and probably not be that interesting to anyone. I'd just wish he'd trust my decision making, or at least make an effort to understand it. It's not like I just luckboxed my way into the position I'm in now, and it's not like I'm going to all of a sudden start making idiotic decisions that see me throw it away. Having said that, I really don't blame him for interpreting all this the way he has and I'm glad he cares when he could be completely apathetic. I just wish he'd make more of an effort to see my side of the issue when I have made the effort to understand his.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 PM

jsh... this is what frustrates me... not the person's concern or lack of understanding, but their unwillingness to try and understand your decisions and the speed at which they dismiss them as a gambling addiction or some other nonsense. my ex-gf was the same way... although she never cared enough for it to be an issue, she was worried about it. i would sit down to have a rational conversation (and for those who know me, I am very rational and always fully prepared to change my position or retract something i said if i no longer believe it to be true) but ive yet to have had a person on the other end of the conversation who can get much past the ZOMG ITS RISK INVOLVED. No [censored]. Start a company, invest in the stock market, fall in love... there's risk everywhere... manage it...

Bleh... I feel ya... I feel ya.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 PM

I can honestly say I was addicted to SNGs for a few months when I first started playing. That pretty much ended the day I found 2p2 and started studying. Now it's all I can do to force myself to load up a set. Why do you think I'm dicking around in this thread?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM

[censored] [censored] anyways
Old 12-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Yeah, most of my friends think it's the coolest thing in the world and can't believe how much money I make. It seems like everyone either thinks it's the coolest thing ever or they hate it & think you're making poor decisions. The latter are clearly clueless.
Closed Thread