Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

[ QUOTE ]
ive never used them or seen anyone use them, but i keep reading that you can do band assisted pullups...i remember you saying you bought a bunch of stuff, did you buy bands?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but I'll look into them.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try jumping pullups Sam.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, I'll experiment with these and negatives next workout. I hope that soon I'll be able to do them without tricks, though.

I was pretty exhausted after the squats and presses, which I'm sure made chin-ups more difficult. Don't presses and chin-ups use a lot of the same muscles? And my upper back is sore today -- but a good kind of sore, the "I'm using muscles I don't normally use" kind.

I'm probably making an ass out of myself at the gym doing chin-ups one at a time, squatting ridiculously light weights, etc., but I don't really care. I just want to get bigger/stronger (and drop some fat) as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM

The only guy at the gym making an ass of himself is the guy doing curls in the squat rack.

j/k -- kinda.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Ugh, I just realized you're supposed to alternate between A and B exercises each workout, not A one week, B the next. I misread the sticky. Wow. Oops.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Interesting read: Is bulking up to gain muscle a good idea?

I calculated my "caloric intake to support optimal growth" based on the table at the bottom and got ~2700 kcal/day, which is roughly what I've been targeting.

This morning I stepped on the scale, and it read 177.6 lbs, 17.0% bodyfat. Not sure what to make of that. I think I'm overeating a little.

Fitday report:

Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
177.6 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]
Typo, I meant 167.6. I haven't gained 10 lbs...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 PM

8/9

Good, but tough workout today. I put weight on the bar for all exercises.

Squat

Warm-up:

2x5xbodyweight
2x5x45
1x3x65

Work Sets:

3x5x85 (+10 lbs workout-to-workout)

This was surprisingly tough. I don't know why I'm so weak squatting, but I'm increasing the weight each workout at least. Probably still need to work on my form.

Bench

Warm-up:

1x5x45
1x5x65
1x2x95

Work Sets:

3x5x110 (+5 lbs workout-to-workout)

All 3 sets were tough, but again I put weight on the bar and completed my sets. I probably started the program with too much weight on the bar for this exercise. I have a feeling this will be the first to stall.

Deadlift

Warm-up:

1x5x65
1x5x95

Work Sets:

3x5x135 (+20 lbs workout-to-workout)

Finally got to put the red 45s on the bar. This weight was not easy to lift. I'm doing this exercise better, but I think I started to round my back on the last couple pulls.

So yeah I'm getting stronger, but probably still need to work on my form.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:15 PM

8/11 - 'B' Workout

Footwear change. I'm now working out in these instead of crosstrainers. I've heard they're better for weightlifting.

5m exercise bike pre-workout.

Squat

Warm-up:

1x8xbw
1x8x45
1x5x65
1x3x85

Work Sets:

1x5x95
1x3x95 (failed 4th rep)

[censored], why do I suck so hard at squats? Last week completed my sets with 85. 95 was too much. I felt my form breaking down even during my 1st set, and I failed on the 4th rep of my 2nd set. Not sure what weight I want to try next workout. I might drop back down to 75 or something and concentrate on form.

OH Press

Warm-ups:

1x8x45
1x3x55

Work Sets:

3x5x70

Added 5 lbs, but I think I'm using a little too much body english and cheating a bit on these.

Chins

1x2
3x1

Chins are getting a little better. I did some negatives also.

Accessory Work?

I would like to start adding dips, but my gym doesn't have a dip bar.

From the BB.com Rippetoe questions thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you can add curls to Starting Strength after you've been on the program for two weeks. Do them on Fridays after your regular workout. No, there are no strict rules about how many sets/reps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Confession time: I want my gunz!! When I'm honest with myself, I admit I'm doing this to look better. My arms are spindly and weak. They need some help. I'm going to be careful not to overdo my arm work, and only do it during the "Friday" workout.

DB Hammer Curls

1x8x5
1x8x10
1x8x15
2x5x15

We'll see if I have DOMS tomorrow.

Diet

Still a little unsure whether I should be cutting, maintaining, or bulking. All of them seem reasonable to me. I tipped the scales this morning at 168. My weight is trending upwards, so it's pretty clear I'm eating above maintenance calories. I would estimate my maintenance target to be 2300-2400 now given my current activity level.

So I've gained about 2-3 lbs. The question is: Muscle or fat? I can't tell by looking in the mirror. I'll probably invest in a a cloth tape measure and maybe some calipers so I have objective metrics to gauge my progress. I don't think looking at my weight on the scale is enough.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:07 PM

How long are you resting between sets? I'd give the 95# another try. You're making good progress, and I think getting to the right size plates with your deadlift should simplify things and help progress. Being a little afraid of your workout on Monday might be a good thing for you.

One of my complaints about the curls would be that you shouldn't have anything left after squatting (and pressing and pulling) *heavy* three times a week. You are on a grueling program. You may like the "pump" from curls, but it is pressing and lifting heavy things that will make your arms bigger and stronger and expending as much energy as you are capable of marshaling there is central.

Another complaint is about time efficiency-- I'm dubious about the return on investment as compared to things like pull-ups and push ups. I doubt that curls are a key to you developing the gunz! you are after.

But hey. It is your program. And I wouldn't say there's something really "wrong" with curls. Just my uninformed opinion. Much more important than any other decision is the one that gets you to the gym-- and if curls help with that, provide some motivation, make things more fun, then that is great.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 PM

I want to do whatever builds muscle as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you guys think curls will hinder my progress, I'll stop.