Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

[ QUOTE ]
also, does anyone who lives here know of any good mellow hiking trails where you can take dogs off leash?
i'm not looking for any strenous hikes, just something nice and mellow where my dog can run around and explore.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you go up lake in altadena to the foothills there are a bunch of chill hiking trails around. From what I remember people let their dogs off of the lease all the time. Eaton canyon is one in particular that would fit your needs and is east of lake ave.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suzzer, you kind of allude to this - but I think it's not a fair comparison as SF is tiny and LA is sprawling and enormous with way more selection / variety. Bay Area vs. LA is probably fairer - even then I think LA probably has better food (especially in the cheaper range) but it's really close.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just think it's kind of ironic though because in general SF looks at LA as a giant, plastic, phony, coke-fueled, cultural wasteland (they're right of course, but still). One area I guarantee they think they're vastly culturally superior in is food. But I don't think SF is superior at all.

The whole SF/LA rivalry is pretty funny. SF hates LA. LA is like "huh?". It seriously took me about 4 months of living in LA to realize the people were generally cool and weren't going to all of a sudden turn evil on me.

I decided then that all city-stereotypes are stupid. Every place has about the same ratio of cool people, idiots, flakes, people you can count on, etc. Although you can make some stereotypes about mostly transient cities like NY/SF/LA vs. cities like Kansas City, where almost everyone if from there and never left, or left and came back.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM

LA people, the last time I was home I went to bar in Silverlake that was in an old firehouse, had both a front and back patio, but can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was or the name of it. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Went to LA last weekend.

LA is a shithole. I would never want to live there.

Things to do: meet rappers and one awful singer, very fun, they like to party.

Places to go: Dodger stadium, watch the Giants win 11-2, heckle fans, talk [censored], get the whole section to hate you. Great time.

Things not to do: live there
Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM

I'd rather people not post in this thread if they hate LA. Start an "I Hate LA" thread in BBV or something.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Oh yeah I forgot. SD hates LA too. And NYC. And Santa Barbara. And Seattle. And Portland.

But Vegas likes us I think. Not sure what Phoenix thinks.

My aunt in KC thinks LA is fun to visit but she wouldn't want to live there. Take that FWIW.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM

Ja - out of curiosity, how much time have you spent in LA? I'm assuming you must be pretty familiar with the city to hate it so much.

Suzz - yeah LA is not for everyone. It actually took me a couple years to really like it - the main issue was having to drive everywhere (always lived in walking cities before LA), took some adjusting.

-Al
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM

The whole key to LA is to not have your work too far from where you live. Seriously, that's the big one.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Suzz - so true - I have a 15 minute door-to-door commute (Los Feliz to Burbank) and that is huge.

If I was driving 1.5 hours each way in rush hour traffic I'd def want to shoot myself.

-Al
Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM

cf. that thread where we took "Pictures Of [Our] Commute" and mine was a photographic walking tour of West Hollywood. Ship it?