Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 50 Questions for Mormons

This thread really went south.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 PM

For good reason, lol @ atheistaments
Old 07-21-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is quite possible God is good and yet chooses not to intervene in the universe to tweak everyone's happiness to an equal and optimal level.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't think you get the whole amputee thing. Do you believe that prayer has the power to heal people? Do you believe that that entails the intervention of a good God?

If your answer is yes to both questions, why do you not see that prayer for healing an amputee has never, ever healed a single one of them? Obviously God has the power and good people have prayed for it, but why has He ignored every single one of them? It's not a case of a single amputee not being healed. It's the fact that NO amputee has ever been healed. Ever.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 PM

WiiiiiiMan,

Are you a virgin?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is quite possible God is good and yet chooses not to intervene in the universe to tweak everyone's happiness to an equal and optimal level.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't think you get the whole amputee thing. Do you believe that prayer has the power to heal people? Do you believe that that entails the intervention of a good God?

If your answer is yes to both questions, why do you not see that prayer for healing an amputee has never, ever healed a single one of them? Obviously God has the power and good people have prayed for it, but why has He ignored every single one of them? It's not a case of a single amputee not being healed. It's the fact that NO amputee has ever been healed. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read Luke 22:49
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...amp;version=31
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a logical discussion to you guys? Is it erase everything you believe and then answer the questions based on the top 10 searches in google or what scientist have concluded?

Well, the game of let's forget our personal beliefs and pretend to just look at the facts doesn't sound like a worthwhile game.

I think there is more then we know as facts and since we can exist, the universe does, and billion other things could that we do not know about, I feel it's pretty logical to take leaps of faith on things like religion if it gives us answers to our purpose on this earth, right and wrong, etc.

It takes Steps, I believe in my existence, I believe in a Creator, I believe in the infinite universe, the Bible makes sense to me, BOM clicks as truth to me, I felt the power the spirit that book brings. Put them together and I think it's more logical to have those convictions then just believing in randomness and nothing.

Why do I believe cause I have felt it and it is undeniable and no matter what its pierced to my heart.

Why don't you? Cause you haven't. So you guys see those who have, and you can't understand that.

Kind of like those guys who never have serious relationships and see a loving couple who are on cloud 9 and they look at them like they are brainwashed or nuts and that guy says to himself, I aint never letting myself get in that situation.

Well, he said it, if you don't want to feel it, you won't

But, I don't read 20 books a week and study up on physics and chemistry for fun so obv whatever I say it just cause im ignorant and stupid and very uneducated.

Toodles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm late to the thread, but I think the point with logically-derived vs faith-derived beliefs is not that we should only use the first. It's that the first is superior in that it will not lead us to believe logically contradictory things whereas faith-derived beliefs can. That is an advantage in the "which leads to a higher percentage of true beliefs?" contest.

Logic may not answer your question about whether god exists or not, but isnt it a problem if you follow a religion which leads to you believing logically contradictory positions?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is a logical discussion to you guys? Is it erase everything you believe and then answer the questions based on the top 10 searches in google or what scientist have concluded?

Well, the game of let's forget our personal beliefs and pretend to just look at the facts doesn't sound like a worthwhile game.

I think there is more then we know as facts and since we can exist, the universe does, and billion other things could that we do not know about, I feel it's pretty logical to take leaps of faith on things like religion if it gives us answers to our purpose on this earth, right and wrong, etc.

It takes Steps, I believe in my existence, I believe in a Creator, I believe in the infinite universe, the Bible makes sense to me, BOM clicks as truth to me, I felt the power the spirit that book brings. Put them together and I think it's more logical to have those convictions then just believing in randomness and nothing.

Why do I believe cause I have felt it and it is undeniable and no matter what its pierced to my heart.

Why don't you? Cause you haven't. So you guys see those who have, and you can't understand that.

Kind of like those guys who never have serious relationships and see a loving couple who are on cloud 9 and they look at them like they are brainwashed or nuts and that guy says to himself, I aint never letting myself get in that situation.

Well, he said it, if you don't want to feel it, you won't

But, I don't read 20 books a week and study up on physics and chemistry for fun so obv whatever I say it just cause im ignorant and stupid and very uneducated.

Toodles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm late to the thread, but I think the point with logically-derived vs faith-derived beliefs is not that we should only use the first. It's that the first is superior in that it will not lead us to believe logically contradictory things whereas faith-derived beliefs can. That is an advantage in the "which leads to a higher percentage of true beliefs?" contest.

Logic may not answer your question about whether god exists or not, but isnt it a problem if you follow a religion which leads to you believing logically contradictory positions?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I see happening a lot around here is people making arguments which they claim are based on logic when they are in fact based on assertions, blatent assumptions, hidden assumptions, appeal to authority, misinterpretations, misrepresentations, dislocation of context, tunnel vision, witicisms, crypticisms, inept metaphors, inadequate analogies, spin, and plain old propaganda. I would be sceptical of any SMPer claim of logical inconsistencies, especially if the chain of reasoning is longer than one line.

PairTheBoard
Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame really, I was getting allot from it.

It makes a change for a religious debate to have a fairly good discussion, just a shame Hopey waded in with his comments that added zero to the discussion, and instead derailed it into a thiest vs athiest fight. He's good at that.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame really, I was getting allot from it.

It makes a change for a religious debate to have a fairly good discussion, just a shame Hopey waded in with his comments that added zero to the discussion, and instead derailed it into a thiest vs athiest fight. He's good at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's a real shame that I caused the intellectual Mormon heavyweight named "WiiiiiiMan" to stop replying in this thread.

Notwithstanding the fact that he doesn't seem to know anything about the tenets of his faith, of course.