rad streetwear blogs:
www.hypebeast.com
www.highsnobiety.com

blogs that make fun of rad streetwear blogs:
www.dontbelievethehypebeast.com

design (and, obviously, some rad streetwear):
www.joshspear.com

generally interesting reading:
http://headrush.typepad.com/ (creating passionate users)
www.boingboing.net
www.damninteresting.com
www.3quarksdaily.com
Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Blogs: What do you read?

astro,

Guys like Nick Denton (Gawker), Om Malik (GigaOm), and Michael Arrington (Tech Crunch) really blur the line you draw there, since they all started as just a dude making observations and then that grew into more of a magazine style thing w/ multiple contributors/correspondents and then into a full network of related sites. Is Gawker a blog or a magazine? How about Wonkette?

I'm not arguing with you, I agree w/ your general point, I just think that the line is super fuzzy and a lot of these things really defy categorization in one bucket or other.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
semi-nitty observation: i don't consider stuff like gizmodo to be a 'blog'

[/ QUOTE ]
If it can be read in google reader (or whatever rss aggregator you like) I'm calling it a blog for the purposes of this thread. I don't see how it's any less of a blog than a lot of the others, but I mainly just care about finding cool stuff to read.

[/ QUOTE ]
I get what you're saying but this is a pretty poor definition. I read BBC News, the New York Times, The Nation, AP news headlines, etc. in Google reader.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 PM

my main point is that rss=blog is clearly wrong. my subpoint to that is that it could be especially misleading, since many people believe blog=livejournal bs.

i agree that 'blog' is becoming far too simple a term. i expect at some point for common subclasses like 'problog', 'diaryblog', or whatever to emerge.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:57 PM

i read paul phillips blog at http://extempore.livejournal.com/
Old 10-26-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If it can be read in google reader (or whatever rss aggregator you like) I'm calling it a blog for the purposes of this thread. I don't see how it's any less of a blog than a lot of the others, but I mainly just care about finding cool stuff to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan,

some of the RSS feeds I now have in my Google Reader -

a slickdeals.net feed
3 Boston Globe (print) writers
various SI/CNN/ESPN writers

all of these things predated "blogs". so while for the purposes of this thread you may be right, I'm using Google Reader for blog feeds, but also to aggregrate various other stuff I have been reading for a long time that has nothing to do with blogs.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing what I know now about how hard you have to study to become really good at poker--how hard I've worked and how far away I still am--it's hard for me to imagine jumping into some other rarified competitive realm ala Scrabble. If I give up poker I may just coast at some job or business and put my spare time into something creative, or just into enjoying life. It's not that I hate studying at poker that much. But if I knew the amount of effort that was going to be required in the beginning, which I may be only a fraction done with, I may not have started.

<<< from Paul's Blog >>>

last scrabble post for a while, I promise
I went 9-8 in the main event, +442. Turned out to be 14th place out of 38. On the final day sam k. finally beat me, by about 250 I'm sorry to say - one of only two 100+ point losses I suffered in 37 games. It all began when I jumbled two legal words (FARINOSE and FURANOSE) into *FURINOSE, this despite the fact that a) I could have played FARINOSE and was sure it was good, and b) I could have played FARINOSE for more points in a better spot. Total breakdown with no justification. Then I failed to challenge *FARINOSES because I'd pre-convinced myself it takes an S - he played TOADIES/FARINOSES for over 100 and I let it go. Not a good game. On the plus side I beat albert hahn again, so I'm almost even in our heads-up competition.

So my final record for the week was 23-14/+1377. I don't have my records handy but my average margin of victory was evidently a lot larger than my average margin of defeat. I know I missed an ungodly number of plays that I will find next time if I study like I have been for a few months longer.

Until this week my conception of division one was that it was primarily populated by guys like geary, wiegand, and cappelletto. I see now that this was grossly inaccurate. Many, many errors are made - failures of word knowledge and failures of strategy. And even some of the best players neglect the fundamentals enough to get fuzzy on high probability words. On top of that almost everyone who also plays sowpods (the international dictionary) gets confused sometimes about whether a word is sowpods-only. I won about as many challenges as I lost, I slipped some phonies past other players, and I didn't let too many by myself - none of which I thought likely coming in. It was all very encouraging.

I'm too lazy to properly calculate where my rating will land but I'm 90% sure it'll be over 1700, maybe about 1730. I think the rarified atmosphere of 1800 will be within my grasp before too much longer, though I know I'm now entering the most brutal plateau where a great deal of effort is required to extract a smidgen of gain.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan,

some of the RSS feeds I now have in my Google Reader -

a slickdeals.net feed
3 Boston Globe (print) writers
various SI/CNN/ESPN writers

all of these things predated "blogs". so while for the purposes of this thread you may be right, I'm using Google Reader for blog feeds, but also to aggregrate various other stuff I have been reading for a long time that has nothing to do with blogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many print journalists with an online column will claim that their online columns are "blogs," though.

scrub
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing what I know now about how hard you have to study to become really good at poker--how hard I've worked and how far away I still am--it's hard for me to imagine jumping into some other rarified competitive realm ala Scrabble. If I give up poker I may just coast at some job or business and put my spare time into something creative, or just into enjoying life. It's not that I hate studying at poker that much. But if I knew the amount of effort that was going to be required in the beginning, which I may be only a fraction done with, I may not have started.

SCRABBLE STUFF

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i hate the scrabble stuff, but the rest is decent
Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree that 'blog' is becoming far too simple a term. i expect at some point for common subclasses like 'problog', 'diaryblog', or whatever to emerge.

[/ QUOTE ]

moblog and vblog are already pretty common terms