Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: how big a scumbag is my friend? you decide

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i can't believe this thread is happening on a gambling site.

OP: post this in sports betting forum here and see what they say.

(spoiler: they'll tell you that the person who demanded his money was correct)

[/ QUOTE ]

OFT, honestly ppl I thought I had a lot to learn about gambling/poker but sheesh maybe I'm not the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Context matters. Having an apparently friendly wager on a golf course among friends is quite a bit different than what goes on in the Sports Betting forum, and would hopefully be treated as such, not LOLZ I TRICKED U.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if I bet the No on "Will the AL win the all-star game" at Bodog and it ended in a tie, I'd be looking to get paid. If I made an off-the-cuff bet with a friend for $2 for which it was pretty damn clear that a tie was a push, I wouldn't be demanding to be paid $2, even though technically I may have won the bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM

I'd hate to see the quality of course you guys are playing on if you get your panties in a bunch over $2.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OFT, honestly ppl I thought I had a lot to learn about gambling/poker but sheesh maybe I'm not the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Context matters. Having an apparently friendly wager on a golf course among friends is quite a bit different than what goes on in the Sports Betting forum, and would hopefully be treated as such, not LOLZ I TRICKED U.

[/ QUOTE ]

True I would probably let this slide if bet a friend and he "welched" as it's only $2 ffs. However I'd make sure he understood that if he made this bet for $2000 with someone he didn't know well he shouldn't expect the same leniency.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all wrong. It's a total angleshoot and he's a scumbag for collecting. If he really thought that he would win on a tie, HE should clarify since its obvious the other parties did not think this is what the bet meant. This is the only right answer, I can't believe so many of your got it wrong. There should be no hustling of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

took a lot of posts to get to the correct one. somewhat sad reflection on the poker community imo. not that i think people who disagree are dishonest or bad people, but in a friendly setting if things are worded loosely, trying to sucker/angleshoot is just lame.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Exactly, Xorbie. Amongst a group of friends that is constantly making small friendly wagers, they shouldn't have to worry about semantics and making sure every bet is worded perfectly so that they don't get screwed.

Being a nit/gambling nerd shouldn't make you too socially retarded to understand context.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all wrong. It's a total angleshoot and he's a scumbag for collecting. If he really thought that he would win on a tie, HE should clarify since its obvious the other parties did not think this is what the bet meant. This is the only right answer, I can't believe so many of your got it wrong. There should be no hustling of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

took a lot of posts to get to the correct one. somewhat sad reflection on the poker community imo. not that i think people who disagree are dishonest or bad people, but in a friendly setting if things are worded loosely, trying to sucker/angleshoot is just lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Halve

Match Play

This is common golf parlance, NOT a sucker bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:15 PM

Yeah, I would think that anyone who is betting on the outcome of a golf hole would understand that you can win, halve, or lose.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if I bet the No on "Will the AL win the all-star game" at Bodog and it ended in a tie, I'd be looking to get paid. If I made an off-the-cuff bet with a friend for $2 for which it was pretty damn clear that a tie was a push, I wouldn't be demanding to be paid $2, even though technically I may have won the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think baseball is a bad example because ties "aren't possible"

in golf match play/skins ties are common and are totally accepted as being different from winning the hole.

i dunno, if i was golfing and I said "i bet X doesn't win this hole" i would mean "halve or lose"

if you said "there's between 40 and 50 jellybeans in the jar" and there were actually 50 i could see there being an argument. but the fact that in golf win/halve/lose are three common and distinct outcomes make this pretty clear cut in my eyes.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think baseball is a bad example because ties "aren't possible"

in golf match play/skins ties are common and are totally accepted as being different from winning the hole.

i dunno, if i was golfing and I said "i bet X doesn't win this hole" i would mean "halve or lose"

if you said "there's between 40 and 50 jellybeans in the jar" and there were actually 50 i could see there being an argument. but the fact that in golf win/halve/lose are three common and distinct outcomes make this pretty clear cut in my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

the all star game ended in a tie a few years ago.