Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Why You Shouldnt Play HUSNG with 20 Buyins

[ QUOTE ]
Tnixon , your buy-in rule should increase gradually as you face tougher competition . You may be able to get away with 10 buy-ins at the lower stakes , but you should be willing to increase the total a few notches with each new level .

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with every point you made, and that's exactly what I've done over the past 3 weeks or so. I started slowing down at the $50s, and ended up slowing down quite a bit more moving into $100s than I expected to. Can't say I'm complaining about the results so far.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:34 PM

I do the 100 buyin rule and always will. If you can't build up 100 buyins then you aren't good enough to move up anyways. Plus it helps you.

Like when you lose 13 games IN A ROW, which i did this month.
I'm pretty ashamed to admit it but i feel it'll help me get better.

I didn't think it was possible but no matter what i did it wouldn't work. If i had used a 20 buyin fule i don't know how i would have handled it... i like the 100 buy in rule
Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Agreed. I recently moved up and losing 4 buyins hurt me...wasn't used to that kind of swing. definitely had a psychological effect.

HOWEVER.
after messing around in different situations, i'm a strong proponent for smooth transitions. for example (my personal experience, actually)

if you start with $200 and turn it into $400, don't jump to playing $10 HUSNG, instead, continue playing your $5 SNGs and sprinkle in some $10 ones when you're playing well. slowly start to change the ratio of $5 games to $10 games till you're playing predominately $10 games.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I recently moved up and losing 4 buyins hurt me...wasn't used to that kind of swing. definitely had a psychological effect.

HOWEVER.
after messing around in different situations, i'm a strong proponent for smooth transitions. for example (my personal experience, actually)

if you start with $200 and turn it into $400, don't jump to playing $10 HUSNG, instead, continue playing your $5 SNGs and sprinkle in some $10 ones when you're playing well. slowly start to change the ratio of $5 games to $10 games till you're playing predominately $10 games.

[/ QUOTE ]
interesting... but i'm totally against doing the "sprinkling" of different sit n go levels.

Once i hit 100 buy ins i proudly move up to the next level and never look back. If you do the 100 buy in rule, you've played long enough to know that it's time to move up. I just don't like mixing in the different levels, i think it's a psychological thing.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HOWEVER.

[/ QUOTE ]
interesting... but i'm totally against doing the "sprinkling" of different sit n go levels.

Once i hit 100 buy ins i proudly move up to the next level and never look back. If you do the 100 buy in rule, you've played long enough to know that it's time to move up. I just don't like mixing in the different levels, i think it's a psychological thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

100 buyins works too. different strategies for different people though. personally, i think waiting for 100 buyins might lose you some profitability but provides you some ease of mind.

i personally play for enjoyment and not really to make money...so your 100 buyin strat may work for me too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: just to be clear, do you move up when you have 100 buyins for the new level or for the current level?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

100 buyins works too. different strategies for different people though. personally, i think waiting for 100 buyins might lose you some profitability but provides you some ease of mind.

i personally play for enjoyment and not really to make money...so your 100 buyin strat may work for me too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: just to be clear, do you move up when you have 100 buyins for the new level or for the current level?

[/ QUOTE ]

when i hit 100 buyins for the "next level" i move up...

so i didn't move up to 30s until my bankroll was 3K and i didn't do 50s until my bankroll was 5k.

Now, the last 2 months i've been doing 50s and cashing out everything over 5k every month... I don't know how long to do this for but i like it for now. Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 PM

You play Omaha though, not NL husng, correct?

What kind of difference in the variance, if any, is there for these games?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You play Omaha though, not NL husng, correct?

What kind of difference in the variance, if any, is there for these games?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah i play PLO8.
I really wouldn't know the difference in variance.

What i do know is different though is that its incredibly frustrating to have some moron call you down with any low when you are running bad.

in my 13 str8 losses, several huge pots a game where split when i had a nice high hand (which i knew was best) and some moron calling me with a 7 high low. Then we'd have a big pot and i'd get scooped on some b.s. that's the most frustrating part of plo8
Old 10-27-2007, 09:14 PM

PLO8 is probably fairly close to NLHE in variance.

On the one hand, the fact that a lot of pots are split reduces the variance within the match, which should give more of an edge to the better player.

But the fact that you're playing it pot-limit instead of limit, in combination with the fact that it's omaha (which is higher variance than HE to begin with), probably evens that out.

PLO should be higher variance than NLHE, because of the nature of the game itself. It's much harder to get chips in as a big favorite against even superdonks, which should lead to a slightly lower average winrate. (assuming equal opponent quality, which is a massive assumption)
Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 AM

I was under the impression that plo8 variance was higher but so are the winrates.