Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Congrats to tuq!

Blarg,

The way I see it is not that Tuq's a mod without a purpose. In all honesty, this forum doesn't really need more than two mods, and even that's a little much. If it wasn't for that darn spammer who'll throw up 40 spam posts hidden in threads in 30 seconds' time, there isn't a whole lot for the mods here to do. The folk here are a pretty friendly and well-behaved lot. Why we had as many mods as BBV4Life even before Tuq is pretty laughable. Historically, though, the Lounge hasn't added mods because people thought it needed more moderating. I think the #1 reason people become mods in here is because someone wants that person to post here more. That's largely why DB asked me to be a mod. That's largely why Mat made Katy a mod. I think that's also a big reason why Mat, Katy, DB and I invited Tuq to join us. I don't look at this as some new overlord who's going to bring about sweeping change and an influx of retards. Instead, we got a new guy who's a good poster and probably more likely to drop in and say hi now than he was before. Did he need to be made a mod for this? No, probably not, but I don't think there's any significant risk of our forum being worse off from inviting a guy to join us by making him a mod, either. In the unlikely event that Tuq turns out to be a bad mod and does make the forum worse, we'll just have Mat force him to be a mod of the Stud forum, where he'll be obligated to make 1000 legitimate strategy posts before he can finally be relived of his duties and go back to being 100% off-topic.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I usually try to ignore the haters who imply that the Lounge has crap threads. Most of them don't even read the lounge. It's just funny to them to say that. This has been going on since the beginning, as you well know. The fact that we've created a really cool community while ignoring the haters and against all odds is something to be proud of. (i'm getting choked up [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, and despite forming the first thoughtful offtopic community in OOT since it's antediluvian days, despite tremendous and continuing opposition, it's not enough. Funny thing is, it's in other forums. Just not this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain what you mean. You mean we are held to ridiculous standards or something, is that what you're getting at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean why is our traffic frequently questioned whereas other forums are no more active? It seems to me this forum has established a distinct community despite tremendous and ongoing opposition, and paved the way for its only real competition too. This is quite a contribution to the forums, and it's still quite a good ongoing community. Why is this forum always on the chopping block? That treatment seems disaparate and unwarranted.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the #1 reason people become mods in here is because someone wants that person to post here more. That's largely why DB asked me to be a mod. That's largely why Mat made Katy a mod. I think that's also a big reason why Mat, Katy, DB and I invited Tuq to join us. I don't look at this as some new overlord who's going to bring about sweeping change and an influx of retards. Instead, we got a new guy who's a good poster and probably more likely to drop in and say hi now than he was before. Did he need to be made a mod for this? No, probably not, but I don't think there's any significant risk of our forum being worse off from inviting a guy to join us by making him a mod, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is our strategy. We're going to increase our numbers one mod at a time.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the #1 reason people become mods in here is because someone wants that person to post here more. That's largely why DB asked me to be a mod. That's largely why Mat made Katy a mod. I think that's also a big reason why Mat, Katy, DB and I invited Tuq to join us.

[/ QUOTE ]

wook, katy, and db,

you guys know i have a lot of respect for all of you, but if this is really the case, it's even dumber than i originally thought.

that seems to me like a terrible reason to make someone a mod, unless i somehow have completely missed the point of what a mod's function is.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

The way I see it is not that Tuq's a mod without a purpose. In all honesty, this forum doesn't really need more than two mods, and even that's a little much. If it wasn't for that darn spammer who'll throw up 40 spam posts hidden in threads in 30 seconds' time, there isn't a whole lot for the mods here to do. The folk here are a pretty friendly and well-behaved lot. Why we had as many mods as BBV4Life even before Tuq is pretty laughable. Historically, though, the Lounge hasn't added mods because people thought it needed more moderating. I think the #1 reason people become mods in here is because someone wants that person to post here more. That's largely why DB asked me to be a mod. That's largely why Mat made Katy a mod. I think that's also a big reason why Mat, Katy, DB and I invited Tuq to join us. I don't look at this as some new overlord who's going to bring about sweeping change and an influx of retards. Instead, we got a new guy who's a good poster and probably more likely to drop in and say hi now than he was before. Did he need to be made a mod for this? No, probably not, but I don't think there's any significant risk of our forum being worse off from inviting a guy to join us by making him a mod, either. In the unlikely event that Tuq turns out to be a bad mod and does make the forum worse, we'll just have Mat force him to be a mod of the Stud forum, where he'll be obligated to make 1000 legitimate strategy posts before he can finally be relived of his duties and go back to being 100% off-topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, Wookie, but my understanding of the timeline is that Mat did the inviting, you Katy and DB did the being informed of the decision afterward.

I think it's pretty clear that this decision was either negative or exceedingly odd and unmotivated. I usually use occam's razor in such situations and go for what is not exceedingly odd and without motivation. Even if that doesn't apply here, you can't blame me for assuming that things make at least a lick of sense, rather than that they don't.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 PM

Well, it's no secret why that is. The guys who hate DB also hate the Lounge by association. No matter what we do, they'll always hate the Lounge and call it a ghost town, a place where only DB posts, etc. It doesn't matter if there are cold hard facts that indicate this isn't the case. The problem is that these haters are largely high post count regulars who are otherwise respected posters on the site. Their opinions about most things on the forum are held in high regard, so even when they make false or unsubstantiated accusations about the forum, people listen. With the VehicleChooser forum gone and AIW falling out of the public eye, there's always the Lounge to poke fun at.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the #1 reason people become mods in here is because someone wants that person to post here more. That's largely why DB asked me to be a mod. That's largely why Mat made Katy a mod. I think that's also a big reason why Mat, Katy, DB and I invited Tuq to join us.

[/ QUOTE ]

wook, katy, and db,

you guys know i have a lot of respect for all of you, but if this is really the case, it's even dumber than i originally thought.

that seems to me like a terrible reason to make someone a mod, unless i somehow have completely missed the point of what a mod's function is.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...if you need more traffic in the Stud Forum, make me a mod and i'll go there.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Blarg,

Meh, I wrote out a lengthy and IMO thoughtful response but whacked it. I hope you just relax a bit and see how things turn out. And stop ducking the happy hour question - which is a sincere request, not one meant to curry favor.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's no secret why that is. The guys who hate DB also hate the Lounge by association. No matter what we do, they'll always hate the Lounge and call it a ghost town, a place where only DB posts, etc. It doesn't matter if there are cold hard facts that indicate this isn't the case. The problem is that these haters are largely high post count regulars who are otherwise respected posters on the site. Their opinions about most things on the forum are held in high regard, so even when they make false or unsubstantiated accusations about the forum, people listen. With the VehicleChooser forum gone and AIW falling out of the public eye, there's always the Lounge to poke fun at.

[/ QUOTE ]

...probably quite accurate, and pretty damned sad if you ask me.

I would like to give Matt credit for dreaming up this latest tact so that the post count in the Lounge would go up....but I just can't convince myself that he is that Machiavellian.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People listening is one thing. But "people" don't have the power to make changes based on bad faith and pointless ill will. That those who do have that power seem so easy to sway is a pisser.