Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Tourney donk revolt - term for cash game player equivalent?

ad,

"And, most importantly, if you think inflection point play is easy, you are either a liar or an idiot; I say 'why choose?'"

Or really smart.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really most tournaments are much easier than Cash Games.

Actually let me put this in more comprehensive language.....shallow stack games are much easier than deeper stack games, whether its a tournament or not has little bearing on the issue.

ie, the WSOP is much more challenging than a cash game where participants can only buyin for 20x the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure EL D isn't just referring to NLHE, and I'm 100% sure James isn't. There are different psychological factors involved in cash games and tournaments. The biggest that I can think of are the fact that tilt plays a bigger role in cash play, and gamblers ruin plays a bigger role in tourneys. As such, cash will be more difficult. Also, in order to beat the higher limit cash games, you must be able to outplay good players. This is simply not true with respect to tourneys currently as there are sooo many bad players who enjoy playing tournaments. I have other thoughts along this line, but they are getting disorganized, and I am getting bitten by the action bug.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really most tournaments are much easier than Cash Games.

Actually let me put this in more comprehensive language.....shallow stack games are much easier than deeper stack games, whether its a tournament or not has little bearing on the issue.

ie, the WSOP is much more challenging than a cash game where participants can only buyin for 20x the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure EL D isn't just referring to NLHE, and I'm 100% sure James isn't. There are different psychological factors involved in cash games and tournaments. The biggest that I can think of are the fact that tilt plays a bigger role in cash play, and gamblers ruin plays a bigger role in tourneys. As such, cash will be more difficult. Also, in order to beat the higher limit cash games, you must be able to outplay good players. This is simply not true with respect to tourneys currently as there are sooo many bad players who enjoy playing tournaments. I have other thoughts along this line, but they are getting disorganized, and I am getting bitten by the action bug.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of good points, although you still can use game selection I'm sure unless you are talking about the super high limits like 25-50. Actually I suspect that game selection is much more important in cash games than SnGs because in a tournament you can't just abuse one player, but in a cash game the presence of one bad player can make the table huge +EV. This will almost never be true in a tournament.